Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: RPD Dispatch 6 - Resident Evil (Movie)

Banned

I would prefer to have a reputable director like Romero doing Resident Evil than Anderson anyway.

Overly Old School

Well, I notice a lot of folk talking about how Romero's version would have been worse because, while more likely the better horror movie, screwed the plotline. The Anderson version didn't. Which is fair enough. It wasn't a great movie but it could, just about, have been canon. They seemed to be trying for it. I could understand why they went with Anderson over Romero...

Right up until Apocolypse. When I first heard it was being made I was actually quite interested. A tale of survivors in Raccoon City during the outbreak? Hey, I can live with that. And with no lazy beams maybe we'll have a decent horror movie. And show the true horror of Umbrella as Alice is attacked by Nemesis on his way to finish off Jill, and finds no humanity left in his mutated frame as the Nemesis Parasite completely dominantes him...

And then the movie's cast and characters came out and a little piece of me died. Still, I figure, how bad can it be? Hey, look, it's out on my birthday...I demand Anderson give me back that birthday.

As soon as I saw Apocolypse I started questioning why Romero was passed up when Anderson was allowed to Gang-Bang cannon in a far worse way than the Romero script did.

Banned

God, why do people hate Apocalypse so bad!? It was a great action film! That's all I ask from a film!!!

War Horse Uranium

We finished recording. I went a bit long on my Romero script explanation, and actually ended up summarizing the entire thing. So maybe we'll put that as its own separate download for people who want to know about it.

The podcast should be up late Sunday. I have a lot of stuff to cull through for editing.

I should also mention that Rombie joined us for this. It worked out, because towards the end John got a bad headache so he had to leave.

Overly Old School

Quote Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
    God, why do people hate Apocalypse so bad!? It was a great action film! That's all I ask from a film!!!
    Well...because it was crap at anything that didn't involve shooting? A story so awful it made zombies cry, because it manages to take all the elements intereting from the Raccoon City outbreak and kill them. Dead.

- People fighting for survival? Half of them get let out by Umbrella, through the giant wall. The other half must simply cower where Alice can save them.

- Mad scientist being insane? Noooo. He's saving his daughter, silly. Who'll die later anyway.

- The giant wall. Just because it annoys the hell out of me.

- Any character not named Alice having a tiny, bit part and, half the time, being there for the purpose of being saved by Alice.

Then you have the horror elements, in what is, in theory, a horror movie. Except, really, it isn't a horror movie. It's a bad action movie and so there is no fear. Only more Alice. Do you ever feel she might be in danger? Even a little? I know I didn't. Same with Jill and Carlos, although in there case it was because Alice was there to save them.

And, hell, the action is pretty sub-par as well when you think about it. Some scenes are decent enough but for an action movie? It's really quite lacking. Compare it to a real action movie and the scenes are too short, and too few.

So...while it worked for you Helegad, most folk view it as having no redeaming features. Ever. At all. And since your best defence of the movie was, 'Well stuff gets shot in pretty fashion,' I don't think you're gonna way many folks. The story is crap, all characters not Alice are pale shadows of what they should be and there are plotholes you can pilot the Britania through.

Which is sad, because if they'd simply set the movie in Raccoon City, maybe given Jill and Carlos cameos, had Nemesis kick a little ass, they'd have had plenty of room for there own plot and not simply badly butchered a story that wasn't that great to start with.

Banned

Well whatever. I still liked it, though I agree with your point that Alice took over most of the movie.

Dot, keep your Romero script summarization in the main podcast. No point downloading two files.

The Emissary

Quote Originally Posted by Dot50Cal View Post
    I should also mention that Rombie joined us for this. It worked out, because towards the end John got a bad headache so he had to leave.
    No idea where it came from either, just happened out of the blue. I blame those smoothies I drank. Bloody pineapple, it completely took the edge out of it. Apples, bananas, limes, they all work well together. Lime is a bit zingy, but it's a necessary zing, the apples and bananas provide a decent counterpoint to the lime, and then you have this horrible bitter pineapple taste permeating through and spoiling everything. It just doesn't work, get rid of it.

Strawberries, strawberries are good. They'll go with mostly anything, raspberries, blueberries, blackberries, any of the summer fruits really. Cherries though, they're different. Now you're dealing with a whole different kettle of fish. Best to leave cherries as they are, maybe throw in some citrus fruits to give it a bit of an edge. But pineapples? Keep those out of smoothies, or any fruit-based beverage for that matter. They decimate any flavour they come into contact with, it's a bastard fruit.
    See you in hell.

Banned

You should do a segment in RPD Dispatch 7 about smoothies.

Quote Originally Posted by Helegad View Post
    I think the reason why most peppole doint like Apocalypse it's just there are some corny parts in the moive I wish it's could have been longer they try to put so much in the a once and there some scens were it was a bit daff but the one thing at most fant and me got pissed off about in the film was the Nemesis turing into a good guy and getting killed by a chopper at was to simple I mean the Tyrant in the 3rd film got sliced by the lasers that was alot coller than the Nemesis getting crushed by a chopper.
    Last edited by Sephiroth; 11-16-2008 at 10:24 AM.

Kind of late, but still... yeah Dot, I ment that ending. Reminds me about some of the Matrix and Ultraviolet scenes.
    "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

War Horse Uranium

The podcast will be up in around 7 hours or so. Possibly a bit later. I ended up sleeping a lot longer than I wanted to. I'll get to editing soon.

#30 Birkin Type 2

Hi Dot, just wondering what time you might have the podcast up?

It's 1:00 AM here and I hope to listen to it before I snooze.

Thanks

War Horse Uranium

Hey Shane, I don't think it'll be up in time. I'm starting editing now. We have about 4 hours of recording that I need to go through. I may just have to cut this one in half, if there isn't a lot of excess.

#30 Birkin Type 2

Quote Originally Posted by Dot50Cal View Post
    Hey Shane, I don't think it'll be up in time. I'm starting editing now. We have about 4 hours of recording that I need to go through. I may just have to cut this one in half, if there isn't a lot of excess.
    No problem, I will look forward to it tomorrow hopefully, I read Romero's script a few months ago, the whole Chris not been a S.T.A.R.S member was alittle iffy in my opinion, but it definately had it's up sides.

War Horse Uranium

Probably around 3 hours from now, but no promises. If its not done by then, I'll be off to work for a while. So it'll be 8 or so

War Horse Uranium

Yeah, this wont be done until probably 5 hours or so. Sorry guys, I need to head to work for a little bit. Editing this took longer than expected.

Banned

Damn! I'm looking forward to this!

I hear ya Helegad! I think it will certainly be a very interesting edition.
    Last edited by REmaster; 11-17-2008 at 02:12 AM.
    "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
    Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

I think I'm just gonna go to bed, since I know the podcast will definitely be up by the time I wake up. Thanks for all the hard work Dot, I know it's a pain to go through all that recording time.
    Last edited by REmaster; 11-17-2008 at 02:19 AM.
    "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
    Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Banned

I should be able to listen to it while I'm lying in bed at 9:00. Then I'll fall asleep after

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information