Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill 2 in IGN's Top 25 PS2 Games List

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil 4, Silent Hill 2 in IGN's Top 25 PS2 Games List

The IGN's Playstation team is currently running a Top 25 PS2 games list countdown as one of their features.

Survival horror game "Silent Hill" made it to the 14th position, while Resident Evil 4 did better, and managed to secure a 6th position. The 1st-5th position for the list is scheduled to be shown tomorrow.

Silent Hill 2 at IGN's Top 25 PS2 Games List
    Resident Evil 4 at IGN's Top 25 PS2 Games List

Huh, this leaves MGS2 and MGS3 to be in the top 5, I presume.

Comment

i imagine they'll give god of war the top spot.

Comment

IGN loves RE 4, back in 2005 they voted it as the best game of all time:

Last edited by aris13; 11-14-2008, 01:29 AM.
        sigpic

Comment

So... they're gonna be putting in the some of the following titles at the end then:

Gran Turismo 4
          Tekken 4
          Tekken 5
          Final Fantasy XII
          Metal Gear Solid 2 - Substance
          Metal Gear Solid 3 - Subsistance
          God of War 2

Though, I suspect FFXII and one of the two MGS games will not be there after all, to avoid multiple representatives of a single franchise.

So... at the end of the day:

Metal Gear Solid 2 - Sons of Liberty
          Shadow of the Colossus
          Gran Turismo 4
          Tekken 5
          God of War 2

And then some honorable mentions to "to close but no cigar"s and the additional entries from franchises already represented.
          Last edited by Carnivol; 11-14-2008, 12:42 PM.

Comment

FFXII? Ehhh.

If I had to pick before MGS2 and MGS3, I couldn't. Why? Well, here are MY top 5 favorite games ever:

1. MGS1
            2. MGS4
            3. RE2
            4. FFVIII
            5. MGS2
            5A. MGS3

I honestly can't choose between the two.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
              Ehhh..
              The list is of Top 25 PS2 games. I'm guessing (based on "missing" titles) what their yet to be revealed final 5 are. You've just listed several non-PS2 titles in your list there ;D

Comment

i won't mind seeing FFXII on the top 5 list, i freaking loved it.

Comment

Originally posted by aris13 View Post
                  IGN loves RE 4, back in 2005 they voted it as the best game of all time:

http://microsites.ign.com/kfc/top99games/10.html
                  That's a laugher. Tecmo Super Bowl is the greatest game of all time. Everyone knows that.

RE4 isn't even the greatest RE game of all time.
                  Last edited by Jill's Boob; 11-14-2008, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                    The list is of Top 25 PS2 games. I'm guessing (based on "missing" titles) what their yet to be revealed final 5 are. You've just listed several non-PS2 titles in your list there ;D
                    Read my post again, the point of the whole post was to show how I couldn't choose between MGS2 and MGS3.

Apparently, IGN chose MGS3, citing the first Metal Gear Online as a reason.

5. Gran Turismo 4
                    4. God of War
                    3. Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistence
                    2. Shadow of The Colossus
                    1. Grand Theft Auto III

Terrible. Shadow of The Colossus? It was a cool game, but it was a game of following a light from your sword and fighting bosses...that's it.

GTA3? That's a joke, in my opinion. I thought Vice City AND San Andreas were better.
                    Last edited by Vector; 11-14-2008, 07:45 PM.

Comment

It's not the fact that either title wasn't better, GTA3 was just exceptionally more groundbreaking at the time it was released and thus will likely be remembered more for this very fact, additionally more people recall their playing of the game in the series because of it being the first in the 3D type. It's the same reason they picked God of War over God of War II.

Even though Vice City was my fav of the three PS2-era titles (it was the most balanced - SA just tried to cram too much in) I agree with their call because I have fond memories of playing 3 and understanding the impact it was having on gaming and social culture.
                      Last edited by Rombie; 11-14-2008, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Oh shit. I totally forgot about GTA3.
                        GTA4 and San Andreas left such a sour taste in my mouth that I'd completely forgotten about that one.

And about Vice City, it fixed a lot of the wonkyness of GTA3, for sure, but I really didn't like the city map in Vice City. It was just too flat, with little to no terrain. (Driving and doing insane random shit stunts with the car, while evt. chased by the cops = great fun)

Ugh, yeah, had I thought of that one I'd skip Tekken on my list (as Virtua Fighter already represented fighting perfection there).

Oh well, 3.5/5, not that bad (I still find it odd that MGS3 is put over MGS2, though MGO was fun. Me and Randomwab had some great sessions in that one before the servers were shut down. So much for shitty free shit services.)
                        Last edited by Carnivol; 11-14-2008, 10:20 PM.

Comment

Meh, there's a lot of lists going around nowadays. Best this, best that...
                          I'm not sure how much significance should be placed on any of them. Anyone with an internet connection can put a list up on the net.
                          The staff at IGN have played more games than most but still, a subject like this comes down to a matter of opinion and personal taste.

But I had a look at the article and found it interesting. I'd agree about some games and change a lot of the list too... (but that's just my opinion).

Comment

These lists never really mean anything. What determines what games is in the top 25. It is interesting to see what they pick but at the end of the day people are going to play what suits there gaming style.

ChrisRedfield29: Yea Vice City and San Andreas where much better.

Comment

Originally posted by Rombie View Post
                              It's not the fact that either title wasn't better, GTA3 was just exceptionally more groundbreaking at the time it was released and thus will likely be remembered more for this very fact, additionally more people recall their playing of the game in the series because of it being the first in the 3D type. It's the same reason they picked God of War over God of War II.
                              Using that logic, MGS2 should've been picked over MGS3. MGS2 was astounding when it first came out. When it was first revealed, no one believed it was real time. Everyone thought it was rendered, when really, the entire game, cutscenes and all, were pretty much real time. People screamed "FMV!" and "CGI!" No, no. It was all real.

Comment

Working...
                              X