RPD Dispatch Episode #6

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RPD Dispatch Episode #6

Sorry for being so late on this one, but we had a lot of editing to do in post production. Even with the editing, the final podcast weights in at a hefty 3 hours, 20 minutes. But we have some good discussion going. Rombie from Resident Evil Fan ended up joining us, along with forum member TheSelfishGene. In this episode, we discuss the first Resident Evil movie. Later on in the podcast, I sat down with Rombie who followed the development progress of the first movie, from its inception to the final product. We also end up discussing an early script from Paul Anderson, which contains numerous differences. I took the liberty of reading it before the podcast and go down a list of changes from the final film. Taking up the bulk of the time though, is the Romero script, where I pretty much give an entire run-down of the movie. So if you are too busy to read the script yourself, then this is what you'll want to listen to. At the end, of course, we take calls from the community. A full run down of the segments is below.

I want to thank Rob from Resident Evil Fan, and Gene for joining us this week, as well as all our listeners and the people who called in this week, its always great to hear from you guys. If you want to give us a call to talk about anything, let us know how were doing or even try and get your comment played on the podcast, send a Skype message to the username bifftannentruewinner, and our voice mail should pick up after a few rings. Be aware, that we won't have this up until the date specified below. Alternatively, you can send me a private message and we can arrange how to send us an mp3 recording. We'd love to hear from you guys, especially if its about the game we'll be playing that particular week, or even the games we've played on past podcasts.

For the next podcast (which will be recorded in two weeks), we'll be watching both Resident Evil Apocalypse and Resident Evil Extinction. TheSelfishGene and Rombie will join us once again for this one, so look forward to that. Our call-in line will be open on Saturday, November 29th.

DOWNLOAD
    3 hours 20 minutes, 91MB
    • 0:00 - Resident Evil 1 Movie Discussion
    • 0:46 - News
    • 1:04 - Development History of RE1 Movie
    • 1:21 - Early Anderson Script Discussion
    • 1:48 - Romero Script Discussion
    • 2:48 - Community Calls
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 11-17-2008, 09:42 AM.

wtf was that thing in the first break lol, scared the crap out of me.

Comment

Lol, finally Really looking forward to this one. Gives me something to do on the 2 and a half hour bus trip

Comment

that was pretty amazing, dot did an excellent job of narrating through both the romero and anderson's early script. There's pretty much no more need to read the entire scripts now ...
        Last edited by A-J; 11-17-2008, 03:02 PM.

Comment

another excellent podcast as always guys!

the contributions were excellent this week expecially with all the sign-off music and themes. Quality stuff!

i'll add my 2 cents:

good points abt the first film:
          retains clostaphobic feel of the games
          the cameos of resi features - the train, USS squad, same mansion music, cerbeus jump thru glass, and licker on the roof.
          the pacing i thort was good, i personally never got bored
          the music was good by Manson
          Nice cliffhanger with Matt and Nemesis

Bad points:
          despite the cameos of the train, the misspelling of the GAlexia 5000 seems stupid as mentioned by you guys.
          The disappearing bodies, again raised by you guys
          the licker wen mutated sucked, and inaccurate as to its creation
          The mansion was a disapointment - didnt like the lay out.
          Needed a tyrant

if u listen to the directors commentary it proves he knows very little, and in fact the cast mainly talk abt GTA3 if i recall.

Comment

I just finished lissting to the broadcast and you guy's did a great the job like the brake adverts that broadcast was very intresting like I like the frist Resident evil When it came to lissting to Anderson's early Script there some thing I wish he could have added to the film well he had the seine not to add the Red and White Queen fighting that would have ruin the whole film and I re lissting to Romero Script there were some patrs of the Script I wish Anderson could have added like a Tyrant chace that would have been more fun than Alice and the others getting chace by the Licker evan if they had the scene from Romero Script were that woman got crushed by the Tyrant and added that in Andersons film that would have been awsome but great Broadcast guys look forwed to the next one.

Comment

Originally posted by A-J View Post
              wtf was that thing in the first break lol, scared the crap out of me.
              Haha, Gene had bought the VHS tape of RE1 so he could watch it, but it was a dubbed version. So I joked around that I bet the actress who dubbed over Milla was saying "Matt-oh!" at the end, when Matt is being put on the gurney. Sure enough, it was haha. So I put that in there

Originally posted by A-J View Post
              that was pretty amazing, dot did an excellent job of narrating through both the romero and anderson's early script. There's pretty much no more need to read the entire scripts now ...
              Ah, good, glad you enjoyed it. I was afraid my summary would suck XD

Nomad, Loved the STALKER bit. Totally caught me by surprise
              Last edited by Dot50Cal; 11-17-2008, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Galaxie 5000 is a reference to the dream pop band Galaxie 500, which is itself named after a car by Ford IIRC. I think Alexia was a reference to CV, since the Ashfords (in one way or another) were introduced in the second film.

Comment

Yea I thought Nomad's sign off was pretty neat. I know Dot asked if it was just random that we had made our own little sign-off's, and yes it was. I just thought it would be cool to end with something different because it always feels a little akward to just end abruptly
                  "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                  Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

I'm only 30 minutes into it...but so far you guys are bringing up some more awesome points. Can't wait to finish listening to it.
                    sigpic
                    Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

Originally posted by Neptune View Post

if u listen to the directors commentary it proves he knows very little, and in fact the cast mainly talk abt GTA3 if i recall.
                      Yeah, they start talking about that and then stop themselves by saying that they shouldn't promote another companies game, but then there is a GTA reference in the second film anyway - "GTA mothafucka! 10 points!" or something.

Comment

Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post
                        Galaxie 5000 is a reference to the dream pop band Galaxie 500, which is itself named after a car by Ford IIRC. I think Alexia was a reference to CV, since the Ashfords (in one way or another) were introduced in the second film.
                        The train in RE2 is called the Galaxie 5000 (spelling) and its obvious the train in the film is supposed to be the same train or at least the same model. Otherwise there wud not have been the close up of the train name in the film.

Alas no doubt in their rush to try and have a game reference, the prop designers overlooked the "G" in RE2 that is ahead of the word Alexei inprinted on the train.

whether the RE2 developers link it to this pop band i dont know.

The films also get the timeline of the raccoon incident wrong. The narration at the beginning says "at the beiginning of the 21st century...
                        and indeed if u look at that newspaper at the end its dated September 2002 and not 1998.

Comment

Just finished listening to it, and my first comment that the new headset I bought for Skype usage was worth every dollar I paid for it Excellent quality

Anyway, some great points raised there. I shouldn't have said RE1 was the worst film, it was still good, but it was my least favourite out of all three. I'm an action/true horror fan, and the first film didn't cover any of those elements. But it was still good, mind you

Nomad, I could listen to your voice all day The accent is great

While I am looking forward to the discussion on Apocalypse and Extinction, I feel that you should do a few more games before these two films.

Loved the Rodriguez impersonations that Dot was so obsessed with... "Bitch isn't standing now!"

Great idea to outline the early Anderson script and Romero's script for us While I wanted to read it, I really couldn't be bothered, so I truely appreciate Dot's efforts. I didn't even know there was an early Anderson script to be totally honest.

Great podcast overall, 10/10 like usual Keep it up, guys!

Comment

Great podcast! Dot, you've made an amazing job with those scripts, thanks a lot. Well the Stalker thing... I actually haven't expected such a reaction thanks! It all happened unexpectedly, I was playing with the mic and my friend played that harmonica, that's a total improvisation we just added some sound effects later. And there is no closer problem to any ukrainian person than Chernoble so it's always in our heads. And Stalker is a great game also, ofcourse, but it is terrible in english... I'll try to make some new stuff for the next podcast
                            "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

I love your accent, Nomad. You would make a great Bond villain.

Next time, you should say something like, "Leave Bond to me."
                              See you in hell.

Comment

Working...
                              X