No announcement yet.

RPD Dispatch 7 - Apocalypse & Extinction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just watched Apocalypse again on BR, while drinking whiskey and taking some notes (yes, I take my reviews seriously).
    I quite like the film. IMO it's a lot more enjoyable than the first. It's pretty stupid but it dosn't take itself too seriously. It's entertaining, the effects are quite good, the zombies look better, it has some genuinely amusing dialogue and it moves at a good pace.

Some points:
    * Raven's Gate Bridge is supposedly the only way out of town but we get a good look at it, in the start of the film and can clearly see that the river beneath is very small. It looks like you could walk across it by rolling up your pants.
    * Jill strutting into the RPD and shooting zombies in the head is very cool. Even though walking into a real police station and firing a gun can't be recommended. Sienna Guillory as Jill is fantastic. I enjoy every scene she's in and find myself watching her and grinning like an idiot.
    * The giant wall around the city appears in no time... Dumb.
    * Carlos diving head first out of a helicopter is one of the stupidest things I've ever seen.
    * The zombie hoards on the streets are okay.
    * The church section is great. The sicko priest feeding his zombie sister is good. The lickers look awesome, sound creepy and I like their 'predator vision' (even though real lickers are blind). Then we have Alice smashing through the church window on a Harley. Which is quite symbolic because, like the Beatles, she is now bigger than Jesus. She shoots spinning bullets in slow motion (why not?) and dispatches all of the lickers. But a great one liner was missed when she killed the last trapped one. She should have said, "Lick this!" *BOOM!*
    * The zombie strippers were GREAT! They should have played a much larger role in the movie.
    * The graveyard scene was mindless, kung fu, zombie fighting fun.
    * The STARS dickhead on the roof (looked like one of Kevin's alternate costumes from Outbreak) deserved to die and I didn't mind all the STARS members being ripped up by RPG and gatling gun fire.
    * I liked the Nemesis. He looked cool and was pretty close to the real thing. Right down to his heavy, stomping foot steps.
    * Alice vs Nemesis part 1, I liked. Alice is chased into a building where the Nemesis smashed through a wall, then she's chased down a corridor (like RE3), then down the garbage disposal. The Nemesis looking down, then firing a RPG down the chute was cool.
    * The school was creepy... Nickolai (similar in name only to the real thing) shows how to exterminate zombies and dogs but then tries getting cute with Jill and gets his throat ripped out... funny.
    * Alice running down a wall and beating up a bunch of guards was pretty stupid but nearly entertaining.
    * The bad boss shooting a valuable Umbrella scientist (Ashford) before one of the good guys, was just ridiculous. Why would he do that?!
    * Alice vs Nemesis part 2, I quite liked. I'm a fan of comic books and the fight reminds me of some of the special editions they sometimes make. Like, Conan vs Wolverine or Hulk vs Spiderman or Freddy vs Jason. It was stupid but entertaining. It could have used some more wrestling moves.
    * The Nemesis turning good was a disappointment. It would have been so much better if he mutated like the game and the ending saw him become a huge monster, like the Thing or the actual Nemesis Type3. But he still caused some more mayhem and shot down a helicopter with a RPG, like in RE3.
    * Alice outruns helicopter bullets then drops and catches her gun, just like Claire in RE-CV.
    * The nuking of Raccoon City was okay and the helicopter crash was good.
    * Alice remembers (damn it) then gets picked up by Carlos and a cool looking Jill in black leather (the security at Umbrella is appalling!).
    * The end credits were cool.

While it's not a great movie overall, and it could have been SOOO much better, I did enjoy it.
    I'll try and watch Extinction again before the next podcast and share my views on that too.

Comment

Paul Anderson had two of the biggest franchises and my two favorites (Resi & Predator) handed to him and he had the chance to make two amazing films. I cant even begin to vent my frustration towards this retard. I mean you must be a retard to screw up a film that is pretty much self made for you. Why? Why!!?? Did he get the rights??? Resi is about suspense and the only suspense I got from the films is praying they dont release another. I genuinley hope Mr Anderson and his DYKE girlfriend dies today then we would not have to worry about them raping the name of this great franchise. Anderson up ya guts hope you and your loved ones die a long slow painful death. Reboot the series and give John Carpenter a go, watch someone actually do what he is paid for. Its called movie making godamn amateur.

Comment

Did you enjoy Romero's script? And that's coming from A RENOWNED, PROFESSIONAL DIRECTOR.

Comment

I watched Extinction last night...
          Some parts were a little better then I remember, but overall, not too great a film.
          sigpic

Comment

It was really hard to watch this movies again... I totally hated the Extinction. Apocalypse, after watching it again I changed my opinion about it, and not in better side.
            "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Very good, keep up the good work.

Comment

Hey Fox, are you the same Fox from Capcomunity forums?

Comment

BTW, what the hell happened at the of Apocalypse?
                  How could Jill and Carlos, dressed up as Umbrella security, get into Umbrella's lab and take Alice - one of Umbrella's most valuable BOW at the time - away, without any trouble? That was... plain stupid.

Comment

Isaacs wanted her to get out of there, so she could become Umbrella's best versatile mobile agent.

Comment

Yes, I understand that, but still, how could Jill and Carlos even get there unnoticed? I know that in games Claire - a 19-year-old college student - is able to break into Umbrella's HQ and stuff, but at least she was pursued there (with a damn helicopter...).

I'm asking because I had only watched the film twice and maybe there's something I missed. :/

Comment

Keep up the good work guys

Comment

so when is this episode due ?

Comment

November the 30th.
                            sigpic

Comment

Yeah, it'll be up on the 30th some time.

I have the skype line open, so if you want to call in, you can do so now ;) Please do so before 9PM Eastern Standard Time on the 29th.

Comment

i liked apocalypse, i just hated that Alice VS NEMESIS fight near the end, and all the parts with Jill and Carlos were quite entertaining.

and extinction was better than i remember it was as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X