Capcom Wins "Dead Rising" Copyright Case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capcom Wins "Dead Rising" Copyright Case

According to Gamespot Capcom have recently won their long running lawsuit against the Producers of Romero's "Dawn of the Dead" who claimed that the game ripped off the movie.

After reviewing both the movie and the game the judge came to the conclusion that there were "profound differences" between the two products.

"To the extent that Dead Rising may be deemed to posses a theme," Seeborg wrote, "it is confined to the killing of zombies in the process of attempting to unlock the cause of the zombie infestation. The social commentary MKR draws from Dawn of the Dead, in other words, appears totally absent from the combat focus found in Dead Rising."
    I guess its only a matter of time before Capcom officially announce the long awaited sequel now.

Dead Rising Wins Copyright Case

Of course the game bloody well ripped off the movie.

Good on the judge for just letting it go.

Comment

It didn't "rip it off" enough to warrant a lawsuit. They even have on the damn box that its not affiliated. The only thing they have in common is the mall theme, thats all.

Comment

I'm glad Capcom won this case. Anyone could see that DR was not plagiarism but rather a wonderful tribute to Romero. However, the judge's statement is wrong because in my opinion there is a strong social commentary in DR, and also because at the end of the day, zombie killing is pointless, it is not the focus of the game, even if it seems that way in the beginning.

Comment

does everyone not remember the huge ass hell disclaimer that ran in like 3 languages at the beginnning of dead rising?

Comment

That's so stupid. I bet that because of that game, millions of people who haven't seen the film went out and saw it. They were probably doing them a favor.

Comment

I didn't even know there was a lawsuit involving Dead Rising but after reading about I have to agree with the judges desicion.

Comment

I remember seeing a post on Kotaku which showed a signed copy of the game by Romero and he didn't seem to care or even know about this seeing as he doesn't hold the rights to the film.

Back in late February, we brought word of a Dead Rising lawsuit. Capcom was being sued over the game by the MKR Group, which holds the rights to George Romerso's Dawn of the Dead film. MKR claimed that Dead Rising was essentially an unlicensed adaptation of the Romero film. Over the weekend, George Romero appeared at…

Comment

Didn't even know this was going on, but I'm glad Capcom won. It's really sad when people aren't able to recognize the fact their work may have simply inspired something else, and they get all bitchy with lawsuits and whatnot. Again, glad Capcom won that.

Comment

Originally posted by xdeadpan View Post
                    Didn't even know this was going on, but I'm glad Capcom won. It's really sad when people aren't able to recognize the fact their work may have simply inspired something else, and they get all bitchy with lawsuits and whatnot. Again, glad Capcom won that.
                    I totally agree. I was not aware about a lawsuit either, though I was always wondering why there wasn't a sequel for Dead Rising.

Only thing is that if it wasn't by this lawsuit we would have been enjoying Dead Rising 2 by now.

After all these years, Dead Rising should be ported to PC and PS3. Or at least they should give us a non-XBOX360 exclusive Dead Rising 2.

I loved the first Romero´s movies, and even the remake of Dawn of the dead, though its latest movies and this lawsuit against Dead Rising....Romero you are going WAY low
                    Last edited by Handsome Rob; 11-21-2008, 07:03 AM.

Comment

^ Um, as my comment a few posts above said it's not Romero doing this... it's instead the company who has the rights to the movie who is.

Comment

Thanks Rombie for your clarifications. Yep, I got it wrong, they were the producers and not Romero.

However, as I said before, I still feel bad about this lawsuit mainly because we could already have a Dead Raising 2 by now.

Comment

Good to hear.

Comment

Well this is great news to hear well done Capcom.

Comment

Good news for capcom then, bring on D.R 2 baby
                              Anyone want to join me and Spielberg, we both think that capcom made dino crisis using the theme of dinos and locations such as the jungle in d.c 2 from the films jurassic park.

Comment

Working...
                              X