Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Survival Guide (Now flushed - Read #1 and #3 before posting)

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Very similar indeed. Hmm yes you are right, another FPS is what everybody needs - no wonder why this type of games aren't made anymore;). //Kim

Comment

I'm surprised these still haven't been mentioned considering that Suda51 was also involved in these ones.

Twilight Syndrome ~ Omen: Search (トワイライトシンドローム: 探索篇) - Adventure Horror - 01/MAR/1996 - Human Entertainment PSX
      Twilight Syndrome: Investigations (トワイライトシンドロム:探索編 - Adventure Horror - 19/JUL/1996 - Human Entertainment PSX
      Moonlight Syndrome (ムーンライトシンドローム) - Adventure Horror - 09/OCT-1997 - Human Entertainment PSX
      Twilight Syndrome Special (トワイライトシンドロム 特別) - Adventure Horror - 02/JUL/1998 - Club Human/Human Entertainment - PSX
      Twilight Syndrome: Reunion (トワイライトシンドロム 酒井) Adventure Horror - 27/JUL/2000 Spike PSX

- All only released in Japan.

He wasn't involved in Reunion off the top of my head. All of them were released in Japan only on the PlayStation.

Overall the games are that the students in the schools like to meddle with the supernatural and are gifted with what they refer to as the "Twilight Syndrome" so they can see, hear and speak with the dead.

Which results in talking to spirits in order to find information to continue the games, and you can also take photos of spirits around the schools.

Each chapter of the games are split up into sections called "Rumors" regarding the spirits and in one of the games, the truth behind the Twilight Syndrome.

The games have multiple characters and endings ranging from good, normal to bad endings which result in the death of the characters or they can inch close to the truth behind it all. However, a good or normal ending is required in order to proceed to the next chapter within the game.

A character in Twilight Syndrome looks rather similar to Jennifer Simpson from the Clock Tower games, to the point during the intro of Twilight Syndrome Reunion there's a small section of this character running in the same outfit Jennifer has in Clock Tower 2/Clock Tower US.

Moonlight Syndrome is a bit trippy during it's intro to the point it even mentions LSD oddly enough (could explain some of Suda's games)...

Mizzurna Falls: Country of the Woods and Repose (ミザーナフォールズ) - Adventure Horror - 23/DEC/98 - Human Entertainment PSX
      - Only released in Japan
      - Takes place in a town at the foot of the Rocky Mountains in Colorado called "Mizzurna Falls"
      - Free-roaming game, player has access to all areas of the town. Player can also drive a Volkswagen (which can also run out of fuel).

A girl is found injured/killed on the outskirts of town by what the police assume was a bear attack and the main playable character is best friends with her. He gets called in by the police and is questioned. In the mean time, another high school girl goes missing and the police are looking for her, but it being around Christmas time there isn't much the police can actually do.

The outskirts of town are called the Ballow Woods, but it's said in-game as Barrow Woods. Bit of a throw-back to Clock Tower. Another reference would be Father Burton whom is called "Father Barton" when initially introduced but all other name points for him are as Burton, so that would be a reference to Professor Barton from Clock Tower 2 (Clock Tower US/EU).

There's a date/time system in place in the game, somewhat similar as to what Shenmue had later on (as this was released quite a while before it) and everything is more or less in a scheduled routine in-game. Cars and the like may look randomly placed, but you'll actually see characters going back and forth to them and their homes at certain times.

Let's say the neighbor finishes work at 5p.m. They would arrive around 5:30pm. and if around the area you can see them park their car, exit and go into their house. Let's say the player goes to the house at 4:30p.m. and knocks on the door. No answer. Try again at 6:00 p.m. and the door opens up, as the person is now home.

So the main character has to go around town and collect information to find out how his friend has died and to find his other missing friend.
      Last edited by Enetirnel; 08-10-2011, 07:57 AM.
      sigpic
      Non-blurry Signature Version
      Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

Comment

Originally posted by Enetirnel View Post
        I'm surprised these still haven't been mentioned considering that Suda51 was also involved in these ones.
        He was one of the designers?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by aris13 View Post
          He was one of the designers?
          Off the top of my head, he wrote and directed -

Twilight Syndrome: Search
          Twilight Syndrome: Investigation
          Moonlight Syndrome
          Twilight Syndrome Special

Twilight Syndrome: Resume (or Reunion as some people call it) was done after Human folded and the staff split into Nude Maker, Spike (which continued Twilight Syndrome) and Suda formed Grasshopper Manufacture with some other former members of Human Entertainment.

As far as I'm aware Resume/Reunion seems to be approved by Suda despite his lack of involvement with the staff in Spike working on them and the films of the same name.

I believe there's also a book on Killer7 that mentions the scrapped version of the it (Killer7) which was supposed to have some sort of connection to Twilight, Moonlight Syndrome (Moonlight being the alternative storyline to Twiligt) which was going to explain stuff between both lots of games.

Though I know he was involved in the development of them more than just writing, directing and the like. It's just that overall a lot of the Human Entertainment games haven't had many translations done so it's a pain to really find anything on them properly, because of that I'm probably going to include them on my site just so the information finally comes out regarding them.

Also, updated the Mizzurna Falls bit with the correct katakana as used on the game's title itself.
          Last edited by Enetirnel; 08-10-2011, 08:00 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

Sorry about this double-post but another couple of titles to add to the list -

Nightmare Creatures - Survival Horror/Platform/Adventure - SEP/30/1997 - Kalisto Entertainment/Activision - PS1, PC, N64
            Nightmare Creatures II - Survival Horror/Platform/Adventure - APR/29/2000 - Kalisto Entertainment/Activision & Konami - PS1, DreamCast

There was to be a third one, but Ubisoft obtained the rights to it and Kalisto Entertainment went out of business and it just never happened.
            sigpic

Comment

I just bought the first one, along with a few other bundled PS1 games. Must give it a proper shot...I loved the demo when I was young.

And double posts are fine in this thread, so long as they're relevant.

Comment

Ah, nice! Well, I remember playing a little bit of it but I never got to complete it.

I forgot to add them to my post when I mentioned the Syndrome games and only remembered today.

And cool, thanks DM.
                sigpic

Comment

Hey, gotta build up my 'cool' credits before I do something to be labeled a massive Nazi who runs the site as his own personal playpen with all these stupid rules that I dare to make people obey.

...again.

Nightmare Creatures, from what I remember, was more of a horror themed action game than full survival horror game, but it does involve slicing zombies apart limb from limb with a razor staff. It's hard to object to de-limbing.

Comment

Yeah, though all of the things actually listed it's genre as a survival horror one so I just wrote down what it was marked as.

And I also would have to add in for the original Clock Tower piece, is that I can't recommend the hacked SNES fan translation as I was looking at my Win95 PC version and there's complete differences to the original text and what looks like complete lines of text were omitted from things, such as an important plot-related item to get the hidden ending.

I'm not even 100% fluent in Japanese (it's the kanji that stuff me up, but I'm getting there) but there were names and the like when they weren't even mentioned by particular characters, character icons in the opening of the game are also the incorrect ones with the characters talking and that the hacked SNES one also has issues such as broken background sections (namely within the first bathroom, the entire thing flashes and glitches out completely OR it also crashes on a staircase in the second foyer).

I'd be more than happy to post up a transcript or even footage I've captured to back this up as to why I have an issue on using that particular translation patch.

An example would be -

Fan translation:

Mary - I gotta go get Mr. Barrows.

Original text that I roughly translated it to -

Mary - Seeing as he isn't here, as your teacher/instructor, I'll go and meet the master/owner of the mansion. (Note that Barrows isn't actually named by Mary, but actually by Ann when Mary leaves).

I know it's fine for most people, it just bugs me to see that there's sections actually missing from it. DX
                    Last edited by Enetirnel; 09-08-2011, 08:46 AM.
                    sigpic

Comment

Resident Evil 2 also had a Dual Shock Version which allowed you to cheat with infinite ammo ;)

Comment

Got a few more for the list here. Just wanted to see if the horror sound novel ones would be fine to add. If so, then I've got a decent amount more to add than what I've put into this post.

Nocturne (Yasōkyoku) - Sound Horror Novel - 16/JUL/1998 - Open Sesame/Victor Interactive Software, PS1
                        Title is written as 夜想曲

Nocturne 2 (Yasōkyoku) - Sound Horror Novel - 14/JUN/2001 - Office Create/Victor Interactive Software, PS1

The Unopened Gate (Akazu no Ma) - Sound Horror Novel - 09/MAY/1997 - Visit - PS1
                        Title is written as あかずの間.

Kamaitachi no Yoru (The Night of the Sickle Weasels) - Sound Horror Novel - 24/NOV/1994 - Chunsoft - SNES, PS1, GameBoy

Hospital Closure - Sound Horror Novel - 20/APR/2000 - Visit - PS1
                        - Title is written as 閉鎖病院

The Last Train - Sound Horror Novel - 26/FEB/1998 - Visit - PS1, PS2
                        - Title is written as 最終電車
                        - Was later rereleased on PlayStation 2

19:03 Ueno Night Train - Sound Horror Novel - 04/MAY/1999 - Visit - PS1
                        - Title is written as 19時03分上野発夜光列車

The Witching Hour - Sound Horror Novel -09/AUG/2001 - Break & Victor Interactive Software - PS1
                        - Title is written as 逢魔が時

The Witching Hour 2 - Sound Horror Novel -13/SEP/2001 - Victor Interactive Software - PS1
                        - Title is written as 逢魔が時 2

Aconcagua - Survival Horror - 01/JUN/2000 - Sony Computer Entertainment, Inc. - PS1
                        - Is a third person point and click survival horror game.

Prisoner of Ice: Demon's Descent - Horror Adventure - 31/MAY/1996 - Millenium Interactive & Vic Tokai, Inc. - PS1

- A wild west ghost town horror game. Also has some slight FPS to it too.

Night Head: The Labyrinth - Japanese Horror Mystery - 17/NOV/1995 - Scitron & Art / Fuji Television - PS1
                        - Game is a first person horror mystery adventure type.

Juggernaut - Psychological Horror - 19/NOV/1998 - Will/Tonkin House/Jaleco Entertainment - PS1
                        - Also known as this in Japan - ジャガーノート: 戦慄の扉.
                        - Also released in the US on 30/SEP/1999.

Kowloon's Gate - Adventure Horror - 28/FEB/1997 - Zeque - PS1

Legend of the Vampyr - Gothic Horror - 04/MAR/1999 - Artdink - PS1

- Also contains RPG elements

Necronomicon: The Dawning of Darkness - Lovecraft Horror & Mystery - Cryo / DreamCatcher Interactive / Wanadoo - 09/NOV/2001 - PS1

Dark Hunter Jou Ijigen Gakuen - Interactive Horror Anime - 11/APR/1997 - Koei - PS1

- Dual language - Japanese, English

Dark Hunter - Shita Youma no Mori - Interactive Horror Anime - 30/MAY/1997 - Koei - PS1

Dark Seed - Horror Adventure - 1995 - Cyberdreams - Amiga, Amiga CD32, DOS, Macintosh, Sega Saturn, PS1
                        (About the date, sorry I couldn't find the exact original release date).

Dark Seed II - Horror Adventure - 1995 - Destiny Media Technologies & Cyberdreams - Windows, Macintosh, Sega Saturn, PS1
                        - Console versions for the original Dark Seed & Dark Seed II were only released in Japan.

The Witch of Salzburg - Horror Adventure - 31/DEC/1996 - T.DOGS - PS1
                        - Game's controls are similar to the Clock Tower games.

The Sleep of Witches - Horror Sound Novel - 1999 - Victor - PS1
                        (Again, not sure on the exact release date. I couldn't find one).

Season of Twilight - Horror Adventure -07/OCT/1999 - SPIKE - PS1

Echo Night - Survival Horror - 30/AUG/1999 - From Software/Agetec - PS1

- Agetec handled the release outside of Japan (release date shown isn't the Japanese one).

Echo Night 2 - Survival Horror - 31/DEC/1999 - From Software - PS1

- Only released in Japan

The Note - Survival Horror - 17/JAN/1997 - Team Bughouse - PS1

Dark Messiah - Survival Horror - 11/JUN/1998 - Altus & Konami - PS1
                        - Released only in Japan and Europe.
                        - European release was titled "Hellnight"

(Sorry about the lack of exact release dates or notes for them at the moment, too tired to remember all of the details. Will add them in later).
                        sigpic

Comment

I'll see if I can do another purge/update in this thread as soon as my landline's upp and running again (unless any of the mod staff beats me to it)

Comment

this thread so outdated! any plan for update?

Comment

The Last Man on Earth 3D, has zombie moans and attack sounds lifted from re1
                              let down with unresponsive controls though.

Comment

Working...
                              X