New Resident Evil 5 Trailer, PS3 Demo Footage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by misterdc View Post
    Not sure what you mean... You mean the dialogue is bad? I didn't write it. You mean my take on the voice is bad? I was just giving the director and 3 (yes, three) producers what they wanted. Who knows how you might've directed the session. Regardless, it was fun and I got paid.

Where is your Waugh? Richard Waugh (who is an accomplished performer) is in Canada and they recorded in L.A. They don't fly VO guys around the country for VGs. Instead of ACTRA talent, they got SAG talent.

I know this is just a BB, however your post does kinda sting. I've been an actor for over 25 years and been in L.A. for 23 years. I have numerous film, TV and VO credits. It seems people do like what I do. I know I can't please everyone, but "horrid"? Really?

I know, you're anonymous and I'm out here on a limb. It's easy to be flip when it's just 1s and 0s. But dude, actors have feelings (including all the other good actors who've voiced Wesker) and most of us use the internet.

Known for: Star Wars Jedi: Survivor, Mass Effect: Legendary Edition, Ad Astra

PS: I found this post via Google Alerts. I don't usually respond, but your post just hit me weird.

PPS: To anyone who wants more info on RE5, etc, I can't respond with details. I'm still under an NDA until it comes out. Thanks for understanding.
    Thank you very much for the clarification. There has been some confusion as to just who was voicing Wesker in the trailers. We knew you would be voicing Wesker in the final game, but Ken Lally had mentioned on a few other sites that he did the voice for Wesker for some theatrical releases or something to that effect, which led me, and a few others, to believe that it was his voice we heard in the trailers, and they just hadn't dubbed you over yet.

Again, thank you for the clarification, and keep up the great work.

Comment

For any curious, I've confirmed that misterdc is D.C. Douglas. Welcome aboard man! With Mr. Lally also here, its like we have Wesker himself

As for the voice work, I think what most fans take issue with was when Waugh was replaced. Ever since Code Veronica and Weskers Report, he had been Wesker, the guy everyone came to know as him. Personally, when I heard your work in Umbrella Chronicles, I thought that perhaps you were sticking a bit too close to the British accent, and not making the voice "your own" enough. From what I've seen in 5, through trailers and such, that doesn't seem to be an issue now, and I actually prefer it much better.

"We last met..at the..Spencer estate?" Ace stuff, hopefully you'll be able to appear in future titles
      Last edited by Dot50Cal; 12-20-2008, 02:02 PM.

Comment

I have to agree, the level of voice acting in RE5 is leagues above previous games. The only one to come close is REmake which still has some cheese factor (although it certainly fits). Like I said in the podcast, RE5 just has a higher quality script and to go with it higher quality voice acting all around, even from those returning. I don't think that Douglas just got better over night either , as he pointed out the directors and producers do a lot for their sound and it is obvious RE5 is a higher profile game than UC in that respect ;).

Comment

This is so cool! Wesker is a member of THIA!

Comment

Douglas, welcome.
            Though I don't think you'll be an active member of this board, it's strange you would sign up.
            You're doing a great job, and I know actors love every good comment they get, so I hope this means something to you.

Comment

I really liked the way Wesker's voice sounded in TGS trailers, that was a music to my ears. And I never had any problems with D. C's acting in UC either. Actually he's and Sergei voices were the only one I liked in that game
              "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Thanks for all the kind words. I truly wasn't fishing. Just had a bit too much wine and not enough filters on when I saw the link/post. I mainly post on HuffPost and usually respond to the harsh comments with reason and civility... I was the kid on the school yard who always tried to make peace... Yes, a little different than Wesker.

Talk to you all after it comes out. Have a a great holiday and New Years!

Comment

Originally posted by misterdc View Post
                  Thanks for all the kind words. I truly wasn't fishing. Just had a bit too much wine and not enough filters on when I saw the link/post. I mainly post on HuffPost and usually respond to the harsh comments with reason and civility... I was the kid on the school yard who always tried to make peace... Yes, a little different than Wesker.

Talk to you all after it comes out. Have a a great holiday and New Years!
                  Thanks, hope we can discuss some aspects of the character with you after the game is released and Merry Christmas to you too!

Comment

For the record, that IS D.C.'s voice. ALL of us acted out the characters, voice included, during the Mo-Cap sessions, which you will HOPEFULLY be able to see when the game comes out in a 'behind the scenes' kind of thing. However, the OLD characters were dubbed over to help maintain continuity, the NEW ones used the same actors for voicing as for Mo-Cap.
                    In Japan, they call this 'Devil-Style'--named after 'Devil May Cry', which was the first to do it--its when they use the same actors for Mo-Cap AND voice.
                    DMC kind of revolutionized the gaming world by doing thus and many games have followed suit. Reuben Langdon, who portrayed DANTE in DMC and the Mo-Cap Chris in RE5, headed up the U.S. Production team.

RE., the 'English accent thing', from previous games:
                    What you are hearing is an attempt at what is called a 'mid-atlantic' dialect. It is a hybrid/cross between an American and English accent; it's a kind of neutral dialect that helps to downplay any other regional dialects. Vincent Price is the most perfect example of a good 'Mid-Atlantic' Dialect (however, he sometimes went full English for certain characters). Not quite English, but not southern or NYC or CANADIAN.....which is what the original voice actors were trying to hide. Their attempts at a neutral mid-atlantic dialect kind of lead to Weskers creation, and I kind of like it.
                    During my research for Wesker, I found it helped lend an ambiguity to the character's background and helped set him apart from the others. I like that he has this sort of upper crust, ALMOST English accent--but not really. I think it really sets him apart from the others.
                    Anyway, I suspect THATS where it came from.
                    PS.,
                    Listen for me in Dragon age:Origins and Call of Duty 6! If anyone is in Dallas this March, come by the All-Con and say hello
                    Ken Lally (kenlally)'s profile on Myspace, the place where people come to connect, discover, and share.

Comment

So Excella's voice actress was Nina Fehren too? Cool.

Comment

Originally posted by Alexia-Ashford View Post
                        So Excella's voice actress was Nina Fehren too? Cool.
                        Oh yes we can say Nina is Excella, she did facial capture, motion capture, and voice dubbing. She choses to do a Spanish accent for her.

Comment

Call of Duty 6? They already start casting? Damn.
                          sigpic

Comment

Working...
                          X