O Canada

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• O Canada

Greetings fellow undeads. I just returned from a week long trip to Niagara Falls, Ontario (Canada). Ergo, I have a few things to say about Canada since this is the first time I've been there.

It started when we arrived at border patrol / Customs. I asked the customs officer where I needed to go to turn around, because I had things that I needed to keep in a lockbox in the US before I crossed the border. He asked what items I needed to return to the US, and I rattled off a list of all potentially offensive items. We were told to park, and then immediately detained, patted down, locked in a room, interrogated, our rental car searched, all of our luggage strewn about, and made to wait over half an hour before they decided that my sidearm (Heckler & Kock USP .40 police issue) would be confiscated and held until I left Canada. Okay, that's fine, I can agree to not being able to bring a firearm across borders, and so long as I get it back, whatever, cool. The also confiscated my steel baton and my pocket knife, told me that the above items will be confiscated and destroyed. The steel baton (read: Milla Jovovich RE2 style baton) was not listed as a restricted or prohibited item, but they deemed it a "dangerous concealable weapon" that I "was supposed to know that I couldn't bring into Canada" despite no regulations neither posted nor on their prohibited items list on their website mentioning the item. The other item, a pocket knife, the officers deemed a "switchblade knife" because it was easy to open with one hand. Wow, switchblades are illegal in the United States, and I've been searched by our police at least three different times, and nothing was said of the knife. While asking if I could take these items back to the US which I had intended on in the first place, they threatened to arrest me (and my friend which had NO weapons). Keep in mind that I was very courteous and willing to comply during this entire process, and cooperated fully. So finally, completely disarmed and getting $30 dollars worth of anti-getting-my-ass-mugged-gear and a half an hour of our time, we were allowed to pass, as guards kept their hands on their guns as we pulled away. What a warm welcome.

After arriving there, we noticed several good-to-know facts the tourism guides don't tell you. They stop selling beer at 9pm, it costs double sometimes TRIPLE what we pay for it in the states, our hotel parking was $13 per day, food costs at least twice as much, gas costs $3.50 per gallon, they don't have American cigarettes, and tax is 16.5%. Wow, there went some hard earned dollar bills.

So being back in the states now (after nearly being arrested in Ohio too for LEGALLY carrying weapons) I can buy beer until 3am at rock bottom prices, I can carry my guns anywhere within reason without being hassled, and I can eat lunch for under five bucks.

Now, you may ask, the moral of the story?

hey come on, isnt this racism
    Last edited by A-J; 11-11-2005, 10:40 PM.

Comment

no sir, because I'm not racist. I'm not bad-mouthing Canadians because I think I'm a superior race, I'm just letting people know what to expect, what I personally went through, when you cross that US border. I've never had anything against Canada. That's why I decided to vacation there. I'm just simply telling you how disappointing my trip was, and what bad business in general the place is. If that's racism, sure.. put me on the bill then.

Comment

Its not racism, hes just venting his frustrations against their policies. Sucks to hear what happened to you Rob. I know how awful it would feel to have something confiscated Perhaps they were just being dicks because you were American though?

Comment

well i hope no one raises the racism etc flag when i make an anti american topic some day in the near future :p

Comment

Originally posted by A-J
            well i hope no one raises the racism etc flag when i make an anti american topic some day in the near future :p
            What have we ever done wrong? :wtf: Don't hold our dumbfuck governments actions against the american people... What they do to other countrys is basicly no different then what they do to us. There is hardly any freedom in the us these days I mean seriously the taxes fucking blow... I just as an example but my grosspay was 46k this year.. and my net is 17k do you see a problem there? And then all the fucking laws, and then pollution laws ( i wanna drive a fucking car with dual exhausts, no cant do that unless its older then a 75). I can keep fucking going, so what the we do to your countrys trying to help (yet we dont help ourselves) by doing something stupid... oh well. try living here (Land of the Free) its fucking not.

Comment

Shut up AJ.
              Don't be that guy.
              Last edited by Nikovich; 11-12-2005, 12:23 PM.

Comment

I was thinking of moving to Canada one day(because I love cold weather), But if their gonna take away my switchblade, fuck that.

Them damn Canadians and their flappin' heads. ;)

Comment

They took my knife and SAID it was a switchblade. If you brought a REAL switchblade, they'd probably just crucify you on site.

Comment

i edited it so no one will ever know what i posted here yaay lol

btw in MY opinion canada > USA x100, go knuckers :p
                    Last edited by A-J; 11-13-2005, 03:39 AM.

Comment

I don't like Canada as much as America as every single Canadian I've spoken with is arrogant. Then again, most Americans who play over Xbox Live are arrogant too. There's only a few that I like to talk to....like the guys here at THIA.

Comment

but the best people are those who come from countries far away from america canada etc.. right james old chap ? :p

Comment

Yes, of course

Comment

Originally posted by A-J
                            i edited it so no one will ever know what i posted here yaay lol

btw in MY opinion canada > USA x100, go knuckers :p

I know what you said

Ha ha +1 for america (WE KNOW EVERYTHING!!!!!!11111111111111)

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis556
                              I don't like Canada as much as America as every single Canadian I've spoken with is arrogant. Then again, most Americans who play over Xbox Live are arrogant too. There's only a few that I like to talk to....like the guys here at THIA.
                              Well in my opinion anyone who wastes money on xbox live is a fucking idiot... (wait 6months and play it for free on a pc... DUH!)

Comment

Working...
                              X