Resident Evil 5 producer 'worried' about Western devs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil 5 producer 'worried' about Western devs

A week or two ago on Famitsu, various Japanese developers were asked to give a year end comment for the magazine. Jun Takeuchi shared his insight on 2009 too, and developmag.com have got 'em translated.

Jun Takeuchi, producer of Resident Evil 5, has admitted that he is 'worried' about the impact Western developers will have in Japan this year.

When asked by Famitsu what he thought 2009 would bring, Takeuchi said: "I'm worried about the movements of Western developers. Japan is now their target - it's the last big marketplace. The truth is that Western studios are making great games, and they're going to continue to do so next year too.

But Takeuchi also has hopes for an improvement in Japan's domestic games market: "It's not good if Japanese developers are making games that can't be enjoyed by Japanese people.

I hope that 2009 is a year where developers - not just Capcom, but other makers too - can have big hits that improve the Japanese games industry as a whole.

"2009 will also see Resident Evil 5 finally released, and it'll also then see us on to our next step. We haven't shown what Capcom has in store for 2009 yet, so I hope we can surprise you all soon."
    developmag.com on RE5 Producer 08 Year end comment

We haven't shown what Capcom has in store for 2009 yet, so I hope we can surprise you all soon
    Please Outbreak File #3

Comment

Isn't that basically saying he doesn't want Western Developers bringing Games out in Japan?
      So, he thinks they suck? Ohhhh, not a good thing to say, Takeuchi.

Comment

Originally posted by Gradon View Post
        Isn't that basically saying he doesn't want Western Developers bringing Games out in Japan?
        So, he thinks they suck? Ohhhh, not a good thing to say, Takeuchi.
        You misunderstood. He's not worried about Western developers specifically, he's worried about the prospect of Western games development overtaking Japanese games development. Up until this gen, Japan has pretty much lead the front of games development.

Which in my view is a genuine issue, Japanese games development has declined in recent years.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Oh, I understand now.
          Apologizing if I seemed rude.

Comment

Gamers who think this generation has been a renaissance for western developers are either new to gaming or have not played PC games. Western developers have always been strong it's just that a lot of our best talent has been developing for the PC which has changed this generation. Unlike western developers Japanese developers do not share technology which is one of the main reasons they are behind technically (Kojima mentions this often)...
            Last edited by marcusray; 01-05-2009, 01:25 PM.

Comment

Gamers who think this generation has been a renaissance for western developers are either new to gaming or have not played PC games. Western developers have always been strong it's just that a lot of our best talent has been developing for the PC which has changed this generation.
              PC gaming =/= console gaming. Though. =P
              PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

In general, I believe that technology itself has become more complex every day though at the same time, quality either for HW or SW has been deteriorated almost in the same pace complexity grows.

Japanese titles were simply great and especially with higher quality. In the last years, this was not so true, so things now are like more even between Western and Japanese titles.

Japanese software was conquering the world, though now the world seems to want to capture the fabulous japanese market.

I'd be seriously worried if I were a japanese developer.

Ten years ago, I felt proud of having a Playstation in which there was not a single hang in any of the several games I've played. I can't say the same in PS2 or PS3.

In conclusion, I hope this Western vs Japanese battle serves to improve quality.

If you ask me who do I prefer? I think that to improve quality we need to see Japanese winning this battle.
                Last edited by Handsome Rob; 01-05-2009, 02:54 PM.

Comment

Please bear with me for I don't remember which thread I read this info; but, somebody claimed that Leon's voice actor announced that he'd been contracted to a Capcom project starting this year. I feel another umbrella chronicles with all new story pieces would be too involved just after the completion of Resident Evil 5. I also feel another outbreak file won't happen after the servers went down for file #2. I also think Resident Evil 6 won't make an appearance until tgs 2010 depending on when they start development.

My educated guess is that we are going to see a remake of Resident Evil 2!

Comment

Originally posted by Cellardoorsolar View Post
                    Please bear with me for I don't remember which thread I read this info; but, somebody claimed that Leon's voice actor announced that he'd been contracted to a Capcom project starting this year. I feel another umbrella chronicles with all new story pieces would be too involved just after the completion of Resident Evil 5. I also feel another outbreak file won't happen after the servers went down for file #2. I also think Resident Evil 6 won't make an appearance until tgs 2010 depending on when they start development.

My educated guess is that we are going to see a remake of Resident Evil 2!
                    The only problem with that is that he's starred in other Capcom franchises besides Resident Evil. So even if he is providing the voice for a game this year, that doesn't necessarily mean it's an RE.

Comment

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
                      The only problem with that is that he's starred in other Capcom franchises besides Resident Evil. So even if he is providing the voice for a game this year, that doesn't necessarily mean it's an RE.
                      Interesting... But I read in Resident Evil Realm an email he sent where he stated it was a RE project.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Rod View Post
                        Interesting... But I read in Resident Evil Realm an email he sent where he stated it was a RE project.
                        Even so, it doesn't necessarily mean he'll be voicing Leon. He could just be voicing some random character/s in RE5, for example.

Comment

The most likely job, I guess, would be doing a voice over for the Kennedy Report or some other recap of RE4.

Comment

Working...
                          X