New Famitsu Images and Umbrella's Death

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Famitsu Images and Umbrella's Death

Scans from the latest issue of Famitsu Magazine have emerged on the internet, the scans show images from the leech monster boss fight, as well as a new Underground temple enviroment. This enviroment is most likely what we saw in the TGS 2008 gameplay clips.

Biohazard 5 Scans, thanks to Sunglasses.

Also, an interesting news item for the RE Plot junkies, Capcom's Chris Kramer has confirmed that the Umbrella Corporation, the primary villains of the RE series, are no longer going to be the primary focus from here on out. Instead their rival corporation Tri-Cell will be under the spotlight.

We already know from Degeneration that Tri-Cell are no small organization and they most likely have all the virus samples as well.

Umbrella's Gone, Long Live Tri-Cell, thanks to ElusionM.
    Last edited by A-J; 01-13-2009, 04:20 PM.

Nooooo! Umbrella is gone? I wanted to still believe someday down the line Umbrella would have returned and have another zombie outbreak. Tricell better have clumsy employees cause I want a zombie outbreak!!

Comment

Yeah, its gonna feel kind of weird knowing Umbrella no longer plays a factor in the series.

Comment

the severed remains of Curtis Miller’s severed tail
        Such good journalism

Comment

That makes sence Takeuchi said that a major plotline will be resolved and let's face it RE is making a fresh start.

No zombies - No Umbrella - No tank controls.
          sigpic

Comment

I'm glad Umbrella is gone. At first it was a good villain in the series, but at one point all peoples connected to Umbrella started to act like a cartoon over-the-top bad guys who want to take over the world or want the revenge. In RE1 Umbrella started as a big pharmaceutical company that plays with deadly viruses, then somewhere between RE3 and RECV it became an evil company, led by a bunch of psychos, that uses living people for experiments, has its own prisons and death camps etc.

If TriCell will be what Umbrella could have been, ie. a powerfull, but still normal pharmaceutical company, then I'm all for it. I just want no more Alfred or Marcus like villains.
            Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 01-13-2009, 05:52 PM.

Comment

But we still see Umbrella's logos in RE5 though, so not all of Umbrella is gone just YET.

Comment

NNOOOOOOOO!!!!!

i loved Umbrella, and TriCell sounds like a crappy name, Umbrella sounds so much eviler and cooler.

if Umbrella dies, it's just another nail in RE's coffin, i think Umbrella should only be killed off right at the end of the last game, then just stop making RE games after that, because a series has to end sometime, you can't keep on making it forever, unless you want to milk the shit out of it.

Originally posted by aris13 View Post
                That makes sence Takeuchi said that a major plotline will be resolved and let's face it RE is making a fresh start.

No zombies - No Umbrella - No tank controls.

don't forget No Resident Evil either, this is Gears 3 now
                Last edited by missvalentine; 01-13-2009, 06:17 PM.

Comment

Doesnt really bother me that much it's just a different name for the bad guys. There is alot of changes going on doesnt look good for Jill. Kinda sick of the changes with Re whens it gonna stop.

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
                    NNOOOOOOOO!!!!!

i loved Umbrella, and TriCell sounds like a crappy name, Umbrella sounds so much eviler and cooler.

if Umbrella dies, it's just another nail in RE's coffin, i think Umbrella should only be killed off right at the end of the last game, then just stop making RE games after that, because a series has to end sometime, you can't keep on making it forever, unless you want to milk the shit out of it.

don't forget No Resident Evil either, this is Gears 3 now
                    Why? Because it portrays what Resident Evil was always about? War?
                    Resident Evil was NEVER about zombies. It was about Umbrella wanting super soldiers. It was about armies. About Military. About WAR.

Resident Evil's theme, it's main focal point, was ALWAYS Bio-Organic Weapons.
                    It was never zombies.

What is now, in Resident Evil 5?
                    Still Bio-Organic Weapons.
                    Resident Evil is still true to it's theme.
                    As such, it's still Resident Evil.
                    It's not as if it has completely derived itself away from the main point, the actual theme, and went into a main character infilitrating a building and killing actual 100% humans like they are themselves.
                    It's not as if it became a Max Payne, or Syphon Filter, or even 007.
                    It's still dealing with BOWs, thus, it's still Resident Evil.
                    All it's doing is now, with the power of current-generation consoles allowing more action, space, environments and enemies on-screen, the fight is taking place on a open fields. It's the actual war now, it was always war, only now it's taking place on the battle-field itself.

It was always Umbrella wanting to create super-soldiers, and things just went wrong. It was never "zombie incidents", it was about BOWs, and it still is.

I've repeated many things there, and I've actually typed statements in line-formats, rather paragraphs. Maybe this way it'll be easy to understand the mere fact:

"RE is NOT about zombies. Never was, never will be."
                    Last edited by ElusionM; 01-13-2009, 06:43 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
                      NNOOOOOOOO!!!!!

This is an interesting feeling, because I think there's a lot of this that is true. Where does the series have left to go? Tri-Cell, so far, seems to be just a restart of the Protagonists Vs. Corporation for the newer generation taking Umbrella's place. Getting rid of Umbrella seems of little importance at this point, since it's become clear that BOW terrorism is a problem warranting it's own division(s) now and with black market dealings, who knows how many public/private corporations and countries are now using the viruses/parasites/data in their own research.

The series main games are now taking 4-6 years to make. The series is already up to main 5, with several side-games. It's being milked a lot and the broadening of the story and never-ending BOW terrorism possibilities make you wonder where they can really go. How long before even the ones who welcomed the change that came with RE4 get tired of the current direction, and how many times can we do the same thing (take a protagonist to defeat an outbreak in a generally isolated area against a company/villain) before it gets stale again. Pro-RE4/5 directionists have used the argument that BH0-CV was all the same shit and it needed a new overhaul. When is this going to happen again?

I almost feel like for the series to progress, it (ironically) needs to either end on some kind of satisfactory note (cause honestly we're never gonna eradicate the viruses/parasites/BOW terrorism), or it's gotta go large scale. We can't keep doing isolated incidents, and if we're stepping away from the story arc of Umbrella and possibly the old characters, we have to move on to something bigger for the series...
                      sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Alzaire View Post
                        or it's gotta go large scale. We can't keep doing isolated incidents, and if we're stepping away from the story arc of Umbrella and possibly the old characters, we have to move on to something bigger for the series...
                        It's looking like RE5 may actually already be moving in that direction, and personally, I think it makes sense. Maybe not so much simply replacing Umbrella with Tricell, but expanding the universe to show that it's no longer isolated incidents. With Umbrella's bioweapons out on the black market, there are going to be more and more outbreaks all over the world, as witnessed in the beginning of Degneration.

I always saw Umbrella as more of an idea than a corporation. Sure, it was a corporation, but the corporation gave a face to the idea more than anything. Umbrella represented the threat of biological weapons, and in that sense, Umbrella will never truly be gone. The company may be long gone, but the idea will still remain. We saw that with Osmund Saddler and his cult in RE4, and now we're seeing it with the events in Kijuju.

I think Capcom could have even chosen to not bring another corporation into the mix and still have plenty of material to work with, because of how many factions out there with access to Umbrella's bioweapons.

Comment

Tricell may be in charge now, but don't forget Wesker's plan, his "new Umbrella".

But hasn't this all been conjectured before? We've already known that Umbrella is no longer active, and that Tricell is in charge of things (or so they think)

The areas from the scans look cool. Ancient African laser tripwires powered by the sun!! o.O
                          Last edited by The Ekamp; 01-13-2009, 07:31 PM.

Comment

Capcom has two choices really. Forwards and backwards.

Forwards involves natural story progression which will eventually have to end, as Alzaire mentioned. I was really expecting the whole world to be infected with the T-Virus by the time RE4 came out, but I guess they didn't have the same idea of the way the virus would spread...

The only way to make it feel more fresh would be to take Resident Evil back to it's roots and start a few new story lines involving other survivors who made it out of Raccoon City. I don't feel Capcom fully explored what they had with that city. A city of over 10 thousand people, perhaps even over 100 thousand. Each has there own story to tell and we saw a peek of that with Outbreak.

Outbreak in theory was an excellent idea, however, I feel it was just executed incorrectly. Perhaps, it is better to say that it was ahead of it's time. That kind of game would have worked much better on the online networks that are established today like the Playstation Network or the X-Box Live network. If Capcom would ever consider bringing back the Outbreak series it would probably do much better, especially if the co-op funtionality in RE5 is very successfull.
                            Last edited by Project Omega; 01-13-2009, 07:36 PM.

Comment

Why is Umbrella's death news to anyone? Haven't we known this for a while? Since like, Code: Veronica?

Comment

Working...
                              X