Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: RPD Dispatch Episode 10 - Resident Evil Zero

The REmake isn't so bad with it. She's a little bit more hardy, but then bare in mind she'll be tired, emotionally wraught due to seeing her team-mates either injured or dead (such as Edward) and on top of that having to keep her senses together to hide the fact that she is hiding Coen's fate from the authorities.
    http://www.projectumbrella.net The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium
    http://twitter.com/STARS_TyranT
    Review and contributor for www.thexbutton.co.uk

For British Eyes Only

Zero was a pain in the ass the first time I played it, backtracking to get your items and weapons, spliting your characters and overall a very long - that's what she said - game.

But after some reruns I realized that it was better than I remembered and then I started to really enjoy the game. If you know it well then you will not have a problem.
    Last edited by aris13; 01-17-2009 at 12:45 PM.

An Old-Fashioned Cowboy Archelon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by [STARS]TyranT View Post
    The REmake isn't so bad with it. She's a little bit more hardy, but then bare in mind she'll be tired, emotionally wraught due to seeing her team-mates either injured or dead (such as Edward) and on top of that having to keep her senses together to hide the fact that she is hiding Coen's fate from the authorities.
    Plus there's the fact that she's been awake for over 24 hours. And considering it took a day for Alpha Team to start looking for Bravo, she may have even been up for closer to 48 hours. I know in Umbrella Chronicles they show her taking a nap, but as someone who's been up for close to 48 hours straight before, I can attest that taking a short nap is only going to make you feel worse, not better.

#14 Drain Deimos

its a game of mixed bags.

I loved the train sequence, the whole section was brilliant, the rest of the less so. Why is this, mainly because in the train u are controlling one person. Controlling 2 people at once, and more specifially 2 armed people is not what RE is about.

As NGC Magazine said in its UK review at the time. The very things that improve the gampley negate the fear.

they are of course referring to the dropping of weapons and having 2 characters. If your running out ammo, its a comfort having the other dude next to you with a fully loaded shotgun. the feeling of being alone in the dark is fundamental for the series (bak then) and this really didnt help.

for me the item dropping system was crap. I ended up always dropping my stuff in the main hall anyway, so it turned into 1 giant item box.

the story too sucked. made everything way to complicated. granted its been resolved now, but it just fucked stuff up that it didnt need to. And it created new plotholes.

How did Enrico get to the labs from the MP truck then goes down the master elevator in a fully operational umbrella lab, then point to the cargo elevator saying the mansion is that way wen he's never been there before?

the magic elevator i didnt hava problem with, and was in effect proved to be non-canon with Umbrella Chronicles and Beginnings. With Beginnings being canon if Wesker wanted to quickly get to the MTF he cud have taken that route rather than take the ropewalk way round.

I will admit, I originally made the stupid move of playing 0 before the other RE games (yes, I got into the series just recently), and found it incredibly frustrating. While I managed to beat it, I have to agree with everyone else that the whole "LOL HURR DURR NO ITEM BOXES" thing was a terrible, terrible idea. Now then, if they had still kept item boxes while ALSO allowing you to drop some items, that would have made the game MUCH better.

Plot wise..hurgh. Even when I played REMake after 0, I still found Marcus to be one of the biggest mess-ups in the whole storyline. I had already watched playthroughs of the other RE games, including the PSX version of RE 1, so I felt that, no matter how you looked at it, Marcus didn't fit. Sure, the idea that he made the t-Virus is fine by me, and so is the idea that he was assassinated, but his whole "merged-with-queen-leech-and-became-young-again" thing was BEYOND ridiculous, even for Biohazard standards.
    Not to mention that, after a WHOLE DAY of finding notes and journals about Umbrella's connection to the outbreak, as well as the fact that it was one of their own founders who created the t-Virus, and despite the fact that Rebecca had almost EVERY SINGLE BIT OF PROOF that Umbrella was behind everything, she doesn't even seem to remember it when she meets up with Chris. While I can accept the real-world fact that Zero didn't come out before REMake, one would think they would have at LEAST made some small references/hints to it. I mean come on, even the N64 port of RE 2 had a police report from Rebecca which mentioned Billy (albeit, showing that she kept her promise with him, but still..), and that was to promote the canceled N64 version!

The partner zapping concept was okay, but it led to too much ammo being used it, far too early. I just replayed the game in my preparation for 5, and I found myself constantly having to switch the partner's "attack" off, just to conserve ammo. It didn't matter though, six slots with the whole "big items get two slots each" thing ruined it for me (Why in the hell was the Shotgun 2-slots? That made no sense to me..). It made a lot of boss fights impossible unless I made ABSOLUTELY sure to keep ammo until the last minute. Which usually was pretty tough with all of enemies around clogging hallways and small spaces. (But, that was also because I was terrible at the game).
    Plus...the final boss....such a lame battle that it was hilarious.

Zero had SO MUCH potential, and yet practically all of it was squandered, and so far, it has been my least favorite RE game (I'm about to play CODE: Veronica, though, so I'll see how long that reputation lasts...)
    Last edited by L-e-W; 01-17-2009 at 08:38 PM.

War Horse Uranium

As much as I hate to do this, I'm going to have to postpone the podcast until further notice. As some of you may know, I recently had some dental surgery and I've encountered some problems after having the tooth extracted. So I can barely talk without upsetting things.

I'll have to see when we can reschedule this, but in the meantime, please keep playing RE0. I will be as well, so we can probably have a lot to talk about.

Elite Virus Scrubber

you can always use one of those robot voice things to voice out your inner voice dot

just kidding, get well soon.

Optic Camouflage

At least it wasn't a fingertip surgery, amirite...

...then we'd all be screwed.

At least your dentist wasn't this chap:

"Is it safe?"
    "What? You talking to me?"
    "Is it safe?"
    "Is what safe"
    "Is it safe?"
    "I don't know what you mean. I can't tell you something is safe or not, unless I know specifically what you're talking about."
    "Is it safe?"
    "Tell me what the "it" refers to."
    "Is it safe?"
    "Yes, it's safe, it's very safe, it's so safe you wouldn't believe it."
    "Resident Evil 1.5 is safe?"
    "No. It's not safe, it's... very dangerous, be careful."
    Last edited by Henry Spencer; 01-18-2009 at 04:59 PM.

For British Eyes Only

I love that movie.

War Horse Uranium

What movie is it?

We might me moving to a monthly format, which would be best for most of us I think. We'd probably still do special podcasts, if something is released and such. We'll see.

Mr. Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by Dot50Cal View Post
    What movie is it?

We might me moving to a monthly format, which would be best for most of us I think. We'd probably still do special podcasts, if something is released and such. We'll see.
    A monthly podcast would be ideal because you still have lee-way if people are not avaliable on the day for the podcast, and you can do a brief quick up on several events that might be of interest. Or 3-weekly for that matter.

For British Eyes Only

Quote Originally Posted by Dot50Cal View Post
    What movie is it?
    The Marathon Man with Dustin Hoffman and Laurence Olivier.

I'm sorry to hear about your dental surgery problems, hope you get well soon.

About the podcast, monthly is too much, one every two weeks will be perfect, but is not up to me.

Once a month is better, it gives time for everyone to play/watch what you guys are going to discuss. Plus, sooner or later, there won't be anything left to talk about. I was thinking about playing RE 0 again, even though I don't really like it. Its the only game in the series that I haven't done a speed run with and think that is what I will do this weekend.

If anyone want's to know my oppinion, I'll say that one podcast in the month is not good. One in two weeks is fine, I guess.
    "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Resident 1.5 Expert

I think once a month for main RE games is the best idea, and have more frequent special podcasts for other related horror series like Silent Hill, Alone in the Dark, Parasite Eve, ect.

While we have enough content to keep a 2 topic a month podcast going for a while: Zero, Remake, 4, incoming 5, UC, Survivor, and Dead Aim could get us through 3-4 months. Eventually, and especially when the RE5 hype has died down after March, we'll run out of real topics. I know some people mentioned ideas like podcasts about the timeline, character discussions, ect., but we've discussed those ideas a bit in the past and Dot and most of the rest of us don't really see how well they'd work out or feel enthusiastic about them. But I suppose regardless we'll eventually have to come up with something anyway.

All up to Dot though.

#06 Crow

Sorry to leave for a second from the conversation, though I just wanted to let you know that at the "welcome page -> upcoming Events" it says:

RPD Dispatch #10
    November 30th, -0001

Banned

Awww, once a month? That sucks. I like the podcasts.

I played through half of Zero this evening. I'm liking it still.
    I'm gonna finish the game I'm on, then go for a speed run. I've never tried getting the S rank and rocket launcher.

I use the Wii for GC games because I've got component cables for it but one thing that really shits me about the Wii: Not being able to use the GC controller on the Wii menu! It means I have to have batteries charged in the Wiimote or I can't start the game. How hard would it have been to allow the use of the GC controller to scroll around the menu screen?!
    Also, once you start a GC game you can't get back to the Wii menu, even with the Wiimote. You have to get up and reset the console.
    Oh well, at least it plays the games.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information