Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Buying/upgrading weapons? Want the Merchant to return?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying/upgrading weapons? Want the Merchant to return?

The Merchant, in spite of being one of the absolute coolest Resident Evil characters ever, was really out of place in RE4 and I doubt anyone can dispute that. This practically omnipresent weapons dealer could never be put down and would buy just about anything Leon would lay in front of him. In gameplay practice, the Merchant mechanic worked pretty damn well; it was really fun and compelling to buy and upgrade different guns, and find your own niche each time you played, making multiple playthroughs unique and thus adding more value to the game. Selling treasures also encouraged thorough exploration of areas as well. Many claimed he killed the survival horror vibe, and I don't disagree, but he was so well implemented (in terms of gameplay) that I could forgive him and found him to be a solid addition.

It's no surprise he is returning in Resident Evil 5, in spirit at least. Although there isn't an actual character with whom you barter with, the trial of finding treasures, accumulating cash, and buying and upgrading guns remain intact (albeit in between chapters in a moderately less silly manner). Do you guys welcome this new mechanic into new Resident Evil games? I thought it was pulled off incredibly well in 4 (although it would be nice to have more guns be found instead off nearly all of them having to be bought) and I'm psyched about the feature in RE5 (but sad Leon's partner in crime won't be joining us this time ;_;). What do you guys think?

I think it makes a lot more sense this way. While you do have two inventories to fill you can only fill them between the stages, and then you have to keep some free in the knowledge you'll be aquiring more stuff. Yet you need to balance that out by taking what you'll need in case ammo is scarce or a certain weapon will be especially effective.

While there was a bit of this in RE4 I like the fact you'll need to last longer without the Merchan'ts wares. Not that he was much use...bugger never sells me first aid sprays and the Europeon version doesn't sell ammo, which I understand the others do. But I like the idea that you're on your own more, without even some creepy infected ganado guy who wants to sell you guns.

Comment

Actually I don't think the Merchant sells ammo in any version of the game (I've played the NA versions). I personally prefer it this way. Many may claim that ammo conservation isn't present in RE4, and while you do get more ammo in RE4 than in past RE games, I think it's our habits as RE veterans that has us stock piling so much ammo. If you just go firing wildly like an FPS, you'll almost certainly run out of ammo. RE4 does require certain combat tactics that result in saving a lot of ammunition.

Comment

Despised the Merchant. Extremely happy they got rid of him and any ridiculous asset like him.
        PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

I really liked the merchant, even more than the main characters To bad he's not in RE5. I think that it was better to buy the weapons from this ridicilous guy than to buy them in some faceless and (I really hope I'am wrong) unexplanable menu.
          "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

there is a lobby room I think
            Spoiler:

Comment

Yeah, lobby room after the missions that's for some reason appears on the battlefield. The Brotherhood of Merchants was better imo
              "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

i don't get this lobby thing, how does it work exactly?

is it just a menu, or is it ingame?

also, i liked the merchant and hated him at the same time, he took the survival out of the game, but he had some pretty weird voice acting, which i loved.

Comment

I didn't mind the merchant too much. I just would have liked maybe a bit of back story for him.

Comment

I did like the concept of upgrading weapons but thought the merchant was annoying. I also think they should do away with the money and have weapons bought and upgraded based on how fast the chapter was completed or some other factor.

Comment

Personally I felt that a lot of the tension and suspense was taken away from the series when the Merchant and the subject of just buying your weapons and being able to upgrade them was introduced in 4, and that a lot of what made the RE games different and unique is that you had to actually earn the better weapons or ammunition by either extensive exploration of your environment, killing a certain tough character or making sure you found a certain room or certain key before the level finished or otherwise you could never use/get said special weapon or ammo.

Comment

I think the lobby thing is just like DMC4, just some menus and stuff..hey look new upgrades *click*

I really am disappointed in having no merchants in the game, that character breathed life into the series and IMO was the best new character with only a whitty catch phrase to boot. But I can't see the merchant wearing Safari shorts with a jungle hat on....whadda buyin'?

Comment

Why can't we just find weapons like we used to?

Comment

I think there will be more weapons to find in 5 than in 4, but of course I'm sure some will have to be bought.

Comment

I think they should have a travelling human selling guns and upgrades like in metal gear solid 4, with a bit of an explanation of course.

Comment

Working...
                              X