Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official PlayStation Magazine (US) RE5 Review !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
    BioShock was scary?
    I thought so. The only downside was the Vita Chambers, but I refused to use them as it took away too much challenge. So when one splicer distracts me and two more circle around for monstrous violation to the rear...yeah, I found it scary.

Comment

Well since 4 was released and acquired so many new fans that were looking for action, I'm afraid that the series is going to move in said direction. Because capcom saw what a lot of enemies and even more ammo will do for drawing people. I'm just hoping that what they said about the second half of the game being scary holds true.

My worst fear was having a retarded AI that doesn't know when it's about to be butt raped by a mob and can't switch to a crowd control weapon and tries to pick them apart with a pistol or sniper rifle. As far as scary goes, I don't know about Bioshock because I haven't played it yet, but F.E.A.R. has thus far scared the living crap out of me, if you haven't played it yet you should.

Hopefully we can all be surprised by the second half of the game if it has the scares the dev team was talking about, but I'm not holding my breath.

Comment

BioShock was scary?
        creepy is the better word for it.

Comment

Originally posted by marcusray View Post
          Without Mikami onboard I worried that this game was not going to reach the heights of Re4. I imagined that it would be a good title but not great and maybe earning lots of 7-8's...good to see at least initially opinion seems excellent with two perfect reviews. The wait is almost over and it looks like it was worth it!
          Funny considering Mikami pretty much sacrificed everything else to give RE4 some generic action gameplay.

I trust the new team that actually give two shits about the series more than Mikami. That's not to say I dislike him at all, but RE4 just left a really, really sour taste in me.
          PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by CiarenDevlin View Post
            I trust the new team that actually give two shits about the series more than Mikami.
            Except if he didn't care about the series, he would have let it die in obscurity. Regardless of whether or not people agree with the direction of the series he took, he made RE relevant again. If he hadn't reinvigorated the franchise like he did and we got one of the previous builds of the game instead, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the last RE we got, at least for a very long time, especially when you consider Inafune's attitude toward games and game series that no longer sell.

Comment

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
              Except if he didn't care about the series, he would have let it die in obscurity. Regardless of whether or not people agree with the direction of the series he took, he made RE relevant again. If he hadn't reinvigorated the franchise like he did and we got one of the previous builds of the game instead, I wouldn't be surprised if it was the last RE we got, at least for a very long time, especially when you consider Inafune's attitude toward games and game series that no longer sell.
              The previous build of RE4 that featured the Hookman retained both a perfect blend of old school and the new gameplay. It was not directed by Mikami. It also had a genuine plot and was actually pretty creepy. Even had quick time events that actually fit very snuggly with what was being presented on screen rather than MASHMASHMASHMASHMASHRANDOMBUTTON. RE4 was going to be groundbreaking anyway, Mikami's direction just hampered it.

There's also an issue when a five minute video of a scrapped build wields far more atmosphere and visibly superior gameplay than the final build.

Last edited by News Bot; 02-01-2009, 12:08 PM.

Comment

The previous build of RE4 that featured the Hookman retained both a perfect blend of old school and the new gameplay. It was not directed by Mikami. It also had a genuine plot and was actually pretty creepy. Even had quick time events that actually fit very snuggly with what was being presented on screen rather than MASHMASHMASHMASHMASHRANDOMBUTTON. RE4 was going to be groundbreaking anyway, Mikami's direction just hampered it.

There's also an issue when a five minute video of a scrapped build wields far more atmosphere and visibly superior gameplay than the final build.
                A few sentences from an interview or preview hardly counts for what I would consider a "genuine plot."

What it really comes down to is the fact that we can't play the full game. You can't compare a few short videos to an entire game and say it is a better game, or even that it would be a better game. Even if you don't like the version we got, you can't unequivocally say that the previous versions would be better without having played it, let alone a complete, retail copy.

I also don't quite understand what you mean by "visibly superior gameplay" when it's pretty much the exact same gameplay as previous games. The only change is the ability to apparently throw molotov cocktails in real time. Even the over-the-shoulder camera is pointless, because you can still only aim up, down, or straight ahead like in the previous games. It doesn't matter that it gives you a better view of the action when you can't really aim where you want.

For all we know, the previous versions could have been absolutely terrible (and judging by Mikami's taking command of the game and completely overhauling it, I imagine they were pretty bad). Or they could have been better. We can't know one way or the other. The two can't be compared on any definitive terms. It's like saying RE1.5 would have been a better game than RE2, and we know a heck of a lot more about RE1.5 than we do RE3.5.
                Last edited by Archelon; 02-01-2009, 12:16 PM.

Comment

A few sentences from an interview or preview hardly counts for what I would consider a "genuine plot."
                  Then there's the fact that alot of the plot elements from 3.5 are being used in 5 once more (the Uroborus enemy, Progenitor, the Spencer Estate etc). Had 3.5 been released, the series would probably have already ended with a clear conclusion by now instead of the cannon fodder that was RE4 which did, nothing.

(and judging by Mikami's taking command of the game and completely overhauling it, I imagine they were pretty bad)
                  Mikami is known for being a crybaby when he sees something he personally doesn't like.

I also don't quite understand what you mean by "visibly superior gameplay" when it's pretty much the exact same gameplay as previous games. The only change is the ability to apparently throw molotov cocktails in real time. Even the over-the-shoulder camera is pointless, because you can still only aim up, down, or straight ahead like in the previous games. It doesn't matter that it gives you a better view of the action when you can't really aim where you want.
                  You can aim in all directions with the OVS aiming view point. It's the exact same as the final build.

Even if you don't like the version we got, you can't unequivocally say that the previous versions would be better without having played it, let alone a complete, retail copy.
                  I enjoy Haunting Ground, a game which is more or less RE3.5, far more than RE4. That alone is good enough for me.
                  Last edited by News Bot; 02-01-2009, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Then there's the fact that alot of the plot elements from 3.5 are being used in 5 once more (the Uroborus enemy, Progenitor, the Spencer Estate etc). Had 3.5 been released, the series would probably have already ended with a clear conclusion by now instead of the cannon fodder that was RE4 which did, nothing.
                    I highly doubt it, because we'd still have to have another game to explain what was going on with Wesker. RE3.5 may have closed the door on Umbrella in a more "satisfactory" way than RE4 or UC, but there would still be the issue of Wesker and his plans, and I don't think Capcom would have Leon take out both Umbrella and Wesker in the same game, especially when Leon has almost no ties whatsoever to Wesker aside from Ada.

I imagine that if RE3.5 had been released, we would still be in the situation we are now, only there would be much less likelihood of another game being released, so we would be left hanging even more than we were with the version of RE4 we got.

I also have to question what exactly you meant by "groundbreaking," when RE3.5 rather liberally copied Eternal Darkness' hallucination gimmick. The difference in RE3.5 being that the hallucinations apparently take on a corporeal form when exposed to light, which makes even less sense than the plagas in RE4.

You can aim in all directions with the OVS aiming view point. It's the exact same as the final build.
                    Watch the videos again. It's pretty clear that you can still only aim in the same three directions you could aim in previous games, regardless of where the camera is positioned.

In any case, we'll just have to agree to disagree, because we're veering a little too off-topic, I imagine.
                    Last edited by Archelon; 02-01-2009, 12:26 PM.

Comment

It was more a Fatal Frame than a Resident Evil come on.... I prefer the final RE4, basically both RE3.5 and RE4 aren't "real" RE, but at least he last one is funny and it doesn't look like a Fatal Frame with ghosts and killer dools, I don't care those were just hallucination, but those were in, I'm trying to imagine a RE with ghosts but no... it's simply ridicolous!.
                      Better a medieval parasite, crazy men and monsters than stupid hallucinations with killer dolls and ghosts.
                      The only think I like of that game is the aiming sistem.Mikami saved RE with a great game but I have to say the story in RE4 was very bad

Comment

I imagine that if RE3.5 had been released, we would still be in the situation we are now, only there would be much less likelihood of another game being released, so we would be left hanging even more than we were with the version of RE4 we got.
                        "Left hanging"? How so? RE3.5 would have cleaned up the Umbrella plotline in one fell swoop that took Capcom two games to finish because Mikami fucked it up with RE4 to begin with. There would be no need for Umbrella Chronicles, and RE5 would have been here and completely ended the series by the time RE4 actually came out.

I also have to question what exactly you meant by "groundbreaking," when RE3.5 rather liberally copied Eternal Darkness' hallucination gimmick. The difference in RE3.5 being that the hallucinations apparently take on a corporeal form when exposed to light, which makes even less sense than the plagas in RE4.
                        Leon's hallucinations are simply that, hallucinations induced by Progenitor. They don't become real.

It was more a Fatal Frame than a Resident Evil come on.... I prefer the final RE4, basically both RE3.5 and RE4 aren't "real" RE, but at least he last one is funny and it doesn't look like a Fatal Frame with ghosts and killer dools, I don't care those were just hallucination, but those were in, I'm trying to imagine a RE with ghosts but no... it's simply ridicolous!.
                        Right and ancient parasites that defy the laws of nature and physics aren't ridiculous at all.

Hallucinations brought on by viral infection and the occasional B.O.W. sounds far better, and a fuckton more concievable and interesting.
                        Last edited by News Bot; 02-01-2009, 12:30 PM.

Comment

"Left hanging"? How so? RE3.5 would have cleaned up the Umbrella plotline in one fell swoop that took Capcom two games to finish because Mikami fucked it up with RE4 to begin with. There would be no need for Umbrella Chronicles, and RE5 would have been here and completely ended the series by the time RE4 actually came out.
                          By "left hanging," I meant that we probably wouldn't even get an RE5 judging from how the games had been selling progressively worse with each iteration since RE2. While I already said we can't really compare the two games since one of them was never finished, if 3.5 did turn out like the previous games, I think it would be a safe bet that it would not have sold nearly as well as the final version did.

Leon's hallucinations are simply that, hallucinations induced by Progenitor. They don't become real.
                          Again, watch the videos. When Leon fires at the hook zombie, the bullets go through it, but when he throws a flash bang grenade (or there's a flash of lightning outside the window), his bullets start hitting the zombie until he finally kills it. If all of that is supposed to be a hallucination, it's one heck of a hallucination, along the lines of (Dead Space spoilers ahead) Spoiler:

But as I already stated, we'll just have to agree to disagree, because I think we're veering a little too off topic.
                          Last edited by Archelon; 02-01-2009, 12:34 PM.

Comment

It's off topic again, but yeah, Ciaren made a great argument that I completely agree with. I was psyched circa 2003 upon seeing the E3 trailer, and the gameplay clip with the bonus Bio4 DVD confirmed that it's a direction I would've loved the series to take. It brought the sinister claustrophobic feel of the old games with a fresh touch.

The irony of the whole situation, as I may have mentioned on these boards, is that RE4 was Mikami's doing. He deemed Kamiya's version that turned into DMC as something that strayed too far from the formula and felt like a shooter (a stylish shooter according to Kamiya). Yet... well you know the rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Sunglasses View Post
                              Better a medieval parasite, crazy men and monsters than stupid hallucinations with killer dolls and ghosts.
                              The only think I like of that game is the aiming sistem.Mikami saved RE with a great game but I have to say the story in RE4 was very bad
                              Got to say that I totally agree with you here, but that's always gona be someone's personal opinion to like or to dislike RE4 and RE3.5
                              And a perfect score for RE5 is something that I've expected, but it's really pleasant to know it.
                              "Barry never vanished from the series. It was the series that vanished from Barry. He's inside all of us. " (C) Smiley

Comment

Yeah, Ciaren made a good stand for RE 3.5, it may have been a more interesting step for the series to take rather than the action shooter route it eventually did take. RE 3.5 definitely brought the likes of Haunting Ground and Eternal Darkness to mind too. Who was the original director of RE4 (RE 3.5) anyway, before Mikami came along?

Mikami has this tendency to change his games quite far into development and quite frankly, it's annoying, since we all see this different versions of his games that get people wondering like this, "what if". Alas, it was not to be. Makes me wonder how he got away with as much as he did, regardless of the fact that he created Resident Evil, he got away with bloody murder, messing his dev teams about, lighting fuses I bet too. Can't help but wonder how he managed to stay with Capcom for so long. At least now he has his own development team, without constraints, meaning he can mess around with them a whole lot more than ever before (poor guys). His opinion of RE5 is a bit Alan Moore-ish too (if you know who he is, I'm sure you'll agree).

I bet my left nut that his next horror IP will get so far into development and either A) get scrapped completely or B) go under a major overhaul at around 70% complete. ;)

As for getting back on topic, RE5 is shaping up to be a really solid game that may well please many of us (except the fans of Ms. Valentine, but you can't please everyone).
                                Last edited by Henry Spencer; 02-01-2009, 02:17 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X