OXM Reviews Resident Evil 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
    I think my main concern right now is RE5 is trying to be all things to everything. Lots of action for the new folks, some horror for the old folks, but not doing either as well as it should. It's not either genre and from the complaints of the action junkies they're as unamused by the control scheme as I am by the lack of horror. And puzzles. And exploring more than a single area before proceding to the next linear area.

Still...it beats the pants off RE4, I reckon, and I suspect it'll sell well regardless.
    You are right. It seems with 5 they are trying to do too many things at once and in the process loosing what made RE as a franchise so great to begin with and it sucks in a way.

Comment

This "cryptic clue" immediately reminded me of RE Outbreak's epilogue I'm sure the "old man" will give us some explanations about this.

Comment

The OPM reviewer mentioned having seen DLC. Maybe the ? bullet point is linked to that too.

Comment

I think my main concern right now is RE5 is trying to be all things to everything. Lots of action for the new folks, some horror for the old folks, but not doing either as well as it should. It's not either genre and from the complaints of the action junkies they're as unamused by the control scheme as I am by the lack of horror. And puzzles. And exploring more than a single area before proceding to the next linear area.
          i agree, why does RE have to try every genre? whats next? Street Racing in Raccoon City? or a plane flying simulation game? you know if they did that, i bet some people would still defend it and say stupid things like, RE has always been about flying planes, Chris was in the air force, it was always gonna lead to that, you must have been blind not to see that.

anyways, if RE5 fails, it's the end of the series for me, whether Jill dies or not.
          Last edited by missvalentine; 02-05-2009, 03:36 AM.

Comment

...you know, I'd buy a game driving around Racoon City. It would be awesome. Ten points a zombie, twenty a hunter, and Nemsis just wrecks your damned car.

Comment

...you know, I'd buy a game driving around Racoon City. It would be awesome. Ten points a zombie, twenty a hunter, and Nemsis just wrecks your damned car.
              well sure if it was a spin of, id have no problem with it, id get it myself lol, but main series, hell no.

Comment

I've gone through every resident evil. And i have to say that changing it to RE4 style is the best thing they did. Im tired of people who keep complaining about wanting to be able to move and shoot or who want the bad camera angles to come back. Sure it might not be to scary anymore but i cant find one resident evil fan who didn't really like RE4. Im confident that this is going to be the best resident evil and i can wait for it. And im sure other true fan will love it too.

Comment

Originally posted by El -GONADO View Post
                  I've gone through every resident evil. And i have to say that changing it to RE4 style is the best thing they did. Im tired of people who keep complaining about wanting to be able to move and shoot or who want the bad camera angles to come back. Sure it might not be to scary anymore but i cant find one resident evil fan who didn't really like RE4. Im confident that this is going to be the best resident evil and i can wait for it. And im sure other true fan will love it too.
                  Yeah, see, you really need not write things like this. Not that I can stop you. But seriously...I can point you to half a dozen people who can't stand RE4 without thinking hard. Me? I'm moderate. I thought it was a decent action game but as a Resident Evil it was steaming heap. And I can see why folks who really like the older games don't like the newer ones.

Scares? Psst, we need no scares. Only more guns!

Puzzles? No. That disrupts the shooting. More shooting!

Exploration? Well, you can look around each of these lineraly linked areas. What more do you want? Choise as to where to go? Well, you can choose to fight the Gigante or the Bella Sisters! Enough choice for all!

And as for the story...I'm sorry, I typed story didn't I? It was a string of cliches tied together by ass kicking. Not a plot.

Simply put, when Capcom takes away all the things that made people love the game, can YOU explain to them why they should love it just because it happens to carry the title? No? Then don't say something silly like all true fans will love the game. I'm a true fan of RE, and I have serious doubts about RE5 despite it's looking better than RE4.

Comment

I liked the older games Darkmoon but I like the new ones too.

Scares? Psst, we need no scares. Only more guns!
                    Scares. I can recall three scares from the old games.

RE 1: Dogs jumping through the window.
                    RE 3: Nemesis jumping through the window
                    RE CV: Batersnatch jumping through the window.

That's it. Only three really scary moments and all of them coming from the window. The old games had amazing atmosphere but they weren't so scary.

Puzzles? No. That disrupts the shooting. More shooting!
                    Puzzles is the only thing I'm going to miss from the old games.

And as for the story...I'm sorry, I typed story didn't I? It was a string of cliches tied together by ass kicking. Not a plot.
                    Oh come on. The older games had cliches too.
                    sigpic

Comment

I'm not saying you can't like the old games and the new games. I'm saying you don't have to like both. I don't like being told I'm not an RE fan because I'm not a big fan of RE4 or because I might well not like RE5.

For scares, I guess that's different strokes for different folks. I found them scary. RE4 Isn't scary, due partially to the fact you're armed to the teeth pretty damned fast. In the old RE games the basic zombies were a danger, and scary. But that's just me and my prefences there. I do think most people generally accept, and agree, that RE4 isn't as scary and RE5 doesn't seem to be either.

And yeah, the older games did have cliches. Giant evil corporation doing inhuman experiments? Not so origional. But at least they tried to have some origionality. Code Veronica has plenty origional stuff. Sure, some of it was crack. Some of it was awful. But at least they did have some origionality.

RE4 can be seen on late night TV in the form of bad 80's action films. Rescue the President's Daughter? Check. Love interest on opposite side? Check. Evil parasite controlled parasite culitist hoping to infect the president and take over the world? Sci-fi Channel Check! Action sequences galore? Check, check and check.

...the fact I managed to almost sum up RE4's plot right there says it all, really.

Comment

Working...
                      X