Resident Evil 5 Podcast Discussions + Eurogamer's Preview

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil 5 Podcast Discussions + Eurogamer's Preview

The Resident Evil 5 demo has arrived now and just about every big name website has put up their previews. Besides written previews some sites have also discussed it in their weekly podcasts.

Gamespot's Hotspot and Rebel FM discuss the demo in their latest issues. Be sure to check them out.

Thanks to aris13 for the Hotspot heads up.

Also, Eurogamer recently had the opportunity to play through the first 3 chapters of the game and they've put up a massive hands on preview. The preview discusses the first three chapters in-depth, its a very interesting read. However the last page of the preview dives deep into the racism discussion. Claiming that some of the things shown in the game go far beyond what the original trailer showed.

Eurogamer's Resident Evil 5 hands on.
    Last edited by A-J; 02-05-2009, 03:41 AM.

I must admit, the part on racism is somewhat...troubling. The two examples they give can be partially written off with the fact that even if it's not obvious the villagers are infected. But they do have a point about the white girl and Sheva being so light and talking with such a good accent.

And if things just get worse as the game goes on...eh. I'm really starting to wonder if Capcom have shot themselves in the foot with this game. No one seems happy since there's so little horror for the action fans and it's not actiony enough for the action folk, and now it looks like the Racism row is gonna go into overdrive and get splashed all over everything.

Comment

I don't think most people will see racism in that imagery. Some will notice and shrug it off, some will completely pass over it, and some will make a big deal out of it. I don't think it will have a very significant impact on the game though, especially since it's been nearly two years since the racism issue was first stirred, and has since largely quelled.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
        I must admit, the part on racism is somewhat...troubling. The two examples they give can be partially written off with the fact that even if it's not obvious the villagers are infected. But they do have a point about the white girl and Sheva being so light and talking with such a good accent.

And if things just get worse as the game goes on...eh. I'm really starting to wonder if Capcom have shot themselves in the foot with this game. No one seems happy since there's so little horror for the action fans and it's not actiony enough for the action folk, and now it looks like the Racism row is gonna go into overdrive and get splashed all over everything.
        I think that they way overestimated how many of the RE fans loved the direction 4 took and so overempathised the action and playing modes that were in four into five in the hope that more would equal more money and more kudos and admiration. Instead I think it is going to make the RE gamers more frustrated that anything and again push away what made the series so great in the first place, and that is the sense of horror and hopelessness that made the previous games in the series so successful.

Also, the co op mode seems to me more of a hinderance than an actual help and lets face it, RE is really meant to be played as a one player game and not a two player co op one like others in the genre.

Comment

If you go into Resident Evil 5 looking for racist imagery then you will see it. It's easy to cry racism by taking something out of context and trying to contextualise it with two hundred years of real world history.

The idea that Capcom, a Japanese video game company making a product solely for entertainment purposes, should have to answer for that history or censor their own work of fiction because of it is ludicrous.

To be honest, this feels like Eurogamer trying to reignite the dead racism debate just to get hits.
          Last edited by Kuraudo; 02-05-2009, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X