Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

RE5 Very First Playthrough: Solo or Co-op?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• RE5 Very First Playthrough: Solo or Co-op?

I apologize if this topic has been covered before, but I didn't see it in any of the recent threads, but I've found myself debating which would be better. .. playing with someone in co-op the first time through or going it alone.

The game has been designed with co-op in mind, yet, its certainly seems pretty improbable to find someone who will plan on blasting through the game in a 18-20 hour marathon(like me, hehe). Not to mention the idea of playing with multiple people seems liek a real put off toward intreuptting the experience of a first time play through. It's like Gears of War, I played the campagin and had random people able to drop in and out as I played through, some for the better, and some for the worse, and a few annoying. lol. But I certailnly didn't really care about the story in Gears, or abosrbing it, like say a Resident Evil or Metal Gear Solid. (Gears is just plain silly as far as that).

But playing single player first seems like the obvious choice, and most probably what I will do, but its still an interesting question. IT's like what me and nemesiswontdie were talking about, how probably alot of the people who pick up the game might be bullshi**ting around, talking during important cutscenes, or just plain running through the game. Resident Evi'ls legacy is about its experience, and astmosphere, and taking yoru time exploring the surroundings.

Maybe in the end, the co-op is where the almost endless replay value will come in. I myself played RE4 about 14 times in 4 years, 8 of those run throughs the first year the game was out. But you hit a point where you know how to tackle every situation, but co-op really brings a new question as far as the replayiblity. I certainly think the RE5 co-op experience will blow stuff like Gears and allota of other co-op games out the water(their campaign modes--not multiplayer obviously--two different things). This game it seems like team work really matters. Or, as one person put it, you're not just an extra gun filling in a space of an AI. Professional (or hard mode) should be really fun, espically if you don't upgrade the weapons! lol

But, I suppose I'm wondering what everyone else's thoughts are on the situation. At this point I'd have to say I'll playthrough first to enjoy the story and game, then suit up for co-op for the rest of RE5's days.

Note**I don't understand all the negative reactions some people have had with Sheva's AI. I've never had a problem with her, just like Ashley in RE4. Maybe I"m missing something, but Capcom seems like one of so few developers that knows how to not program retarded AI partners. Though, yeah, I suppose we'll all find out in the real game.
    sigpic

I feel like I wanna play through it co-op so to avoid Sheva's stupidity...but if I do, it'll have to be with someone who I trust and have played with before. The most important thing to me in RE5 is the story, so I want to be able to absorb everything I can...so if I'm playing with someone, there will be SILENT AWE on the headset during cutscenes.
    Last edited by Vector; 02-15-2009, 01:38 AM.

Comment

Co-op with a friend in split-screen.

Comment

I'll most likely do my first playthrough solo, but may change my mind. I want to fully absorb everything, free of distraction. And if the game is as short as people are now saying, I doubt a solo playthrough will take too long.
        sigpic
        Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

I will play solo
          Spoiler:

Comment

yha i might go solo or if i go co-op i want 2 do it with a good partner like chrisredfield29 or razersaw36 and like wat chrisredfield29 said complete silence thro cut scenes

Comment

I will definitely be going solo first. I think its more fun to experience the game by yourself first rather than having someone else help you, which wouldn't be much of a challenge. I really have no problem with Sheva anyways, so that wont be an issue for me.

Comment

Solo... I don't want anyone to interupt me, when I'll be watching cutscenes...

Comment

Solo of course. As ChrisRedfield29 said I want to experience the story too.
                  sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
                    if the game is as short as people are now saying
                    Don't tell me you believe those assbags.

Comment

as much as i hated playing single player in the demo, i don't want to play through the game online the first time, im going to play single player for my first playthrough, then have another run through it afterwards online.

Comment

I don't think there's any chance of RE5 being a twleve hour playthrough on the first try---maybe after you know what you're doing, but its just too a ridiculous idea to entertain that Capcom spent 4 years only to deliver the standard time in shooting/action games these days. Not to mentiona slap in the face to Shinki Mikami for his work on RE4. I have no idea how EGM could report it being 11 or 12 hours. That seemed like a very clear error. How could you take a game that was 20-25 hours and shave it down to half that length? Even with co-op's implentation, I don't really see how that would affect the length of things. It will certianly feel like a huge rip off if the game's really that short. Capcom has a standard to live up too as far as meeting and exceeding RE4's awesomeness(gameplay-wise, though it looks like they'll get it right with the story this time actually instead of Saddler and his henchman midget).

I gotta say I feel like chrisredfield in the sense I feel compelled with doing co-op first, but the logistics don't really seem to be there. I certainly would want to play with just one person the whole time obviously(no drop in, drop out). Even though I can't say I've had any problem with Sheva, it'd still be really neat to work and figure things out with a real life human being. I swear, I'm glad I found this website a while back, lol, because average joe gamer's really stink at RE(well, at least on the xbox.. .which, by the way, is probably where all the garbage complaints about the controls being *broken* and no *run and gun* are originating from). Whether or not anyone plays co-op through with someone the first time, at least there will be a good community for replays and of course Profressional, or whatever they call it. Not to mention the still unnannouced Mercenaries(which by God HAS to be co-op or even versues score attack or something), or that mysterious rumored DLC content.
                        sigpic

Comment

Solo... probably the first two times through. I don't trust people online to be better than the AI, frankly. I don't have any problem with Sheva in the demo and since so many reviewers are saying how much better her AI is in the final version I'm sure I'll do fine alone.

My best friend said he'd buy the game used so by the time I beat it twice he should be able to get a copy somewhere around here (you know there'll be used copies within 3-4 days after release). So, once he has a copy I'll do a full playthrough online and then from there I'll probably just do short games with random folks online to get my money count up.

Comment

Solo for me for the first time.. I'll be doing as much exploring, reading files etc as possible, so I don't wanna feel like I'm being rushed by playing with someone else.

Comment

would love to play it with friends but i rather go solo 1st since I want to enjoy the story. Then I'll go play co-op with peeps.

Comment

Working...
                              X