Resident Evil 4 Trial/Demo Editions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kitty View Post
    Debug mode is an access module to the game/programs coding, isn't it? It's used to test games by stressing various codes, right?
    ya, for the most part. It's exteremely useful to the programmers, as they can use it to easily see whether or not, for example, object a works in area b while action c is taking place. Or it can be used to do level warps so once your done debugging a certain level, you can easily go to the next and debug it. A perfect example of this is the genesis and SEGACD sonic games. All of them feature a debug mode of sorts. Called MegaDrive and MegaCD in europe for anyone who don't know.

Comment

• Although lots of people use it to cheat through games. It makes it easy, due to having level warps and getting items and stuff. Like on Final Fantasy X-2.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kitty View Post
        Although lots of people use it to cheat through games. It makes it easy, due to having level warps and getting items and stuff. Like on Final Fantasy X-2.
        Really? Well, it helps in games like Sonic two since there are no saves, but i'm suprised it's still included in some modern games, expecially an RPG. action replay ftw!

Comment

• Yup, they still use them. It's a testing thing first though, not a cheat system, so it makes sense they still use them really. But you do need cheats to unlock it in the first place.

Comment

• Yeah, Final Fantasy X has a debug mode too, available via Action Replay codes. As far as i know the US versions of FFX and FFX-2 don't contain the debug options, since the only codes i've seen are for the PAL version.
            I imagine many more games have debug modes still hidden in them too, but just haven't been discovered.

Hyper Streetfighter II on PS2 also has a debug display that can be accessed via cheat disks.

Been playing Tenchu(the original) again recently, that has a good debug mode. You can actually access that via a combination of button presses though, so no cheat disk needed on that one.

Comment

• Tenchu's debug option is amazing to test. to be able to assign a certain enemy to the second control pad and then to be able to have some kind of 2 player co-op kinda rocks. But i had no idea there was a ffx debug menu O_O

Comment

• Hi all,

This is a nice find. Since the PC version is out now, I'm wondering if this could work with it. Is any modification of binaries necessary or are there just missing files in this one (like st0.dat/gca and/or debug.dat/gca).

I saw the download links in the article end but there aren't any seeds. So i got up on eMule and looked up a trial version or RE4. Still downloading.

In the meantime...Dot50Cal, i've seen you've banned people before but could we on the PC get a bit info?

The main reason why i ask this is because i saw on some of YouTube videos originating from this site that it is possible to turn off shadows/lighting via the debug menus, and in case you haven't heard, the PC version looks like SHIT because the people that did the port either left out lighting and shadowing completely or those features are just disabled.

So what i'd like to know is are these files compatible with any version of the game, or could it be made, and is it possible to mess with the graphic settings using those debug menus.

BTW, while i'm here, could anyone post a copy of the settings file for GC/PS2 version please?

tnx alot.

Comment

• As of right now the debug menu is impossible to turn on the PC version. Certain files are missing like they should have been in all other versions. The only hope would be finding the proper files on a PS2 version, as the PC version has much more in common with it than the GC one.

I doubt we'd be able to fix RE4's lighting though, Likely the code doesnt exist in the PS2/PC version.

Comment

• Nevermind that man! I just came up on a site called bioflames.com and am gobbing up the forum like INSANE! ;)

Is that one yours too?

Cheers man. I'm certain something will be done with that PC version. It's much more accessible to modding.

Comment

• Nah, thats Inflames though we know the admin very well. Im acting as a temporary admin while hes out partying XD

Comment

• Since the PC version is out now, I'm wondering if this could work with it. Is any modification of binaries necessary or are there just missing files in this one (like st0.dat/gca and/or debug.dat/gca).
                        Like Dot50Cal mentioned, the files necessary for debug functions in the PS2 (and PC port) version of BioHazard 4 are a mystery, no Trial or Beta editions of this title for the PS2 have the needed tools. However, because there aren't any debug binary files doesn't mean that debug functions for the PC version is impossible to obtain: A debugger for RE4 PC that runs as a "trainer" is possible, it would be a pain and it would take alot of time to create one of that mass proportion though.

The Debug Menu for RE4 allows for modifying of all debug funuctions and some regular functions (weapon mugen, scenario, item set, etc.) and the main executable uses seperate binary files (.REL) to execute the debug code, combine that with the fact that coding a debugger is actually harder to make than the program itsself (because you're actually "GameSharking" your program, and making a program(the debugger) to modify the Memory Address'), I honestly don't see a Debug PC version of RE4 ever, unless a real beta gets leaked or someone with alot of talent and wasted time creates a Debug Trainer.

BTW, while i'm here, could anyone post a copy of the settings file for GC/PS2 version please?
                        Could you be more specific? If you are referring to config.txt, here is the NTSC Resident Evil 4 (GCN) Trial version config.txt:

Code:
                        [USER]
                        [BRIGHTNESS]
                        [STAGE]
                        [ROOM]
                        [JUMP_POINT]
                        [PRINT_PAGE]
                        [PLAYER]
                        [BGM]
                        [SE]
                        [SCENARIO]
                        [NO_ENEMY]
                        [ENEMY_SET]
                        [ETC_SET]
                        [PROCESS_BAR]
                        [VIBRATION]
                        [BG_BLACK]
                        [DBG_CAM_KEY]
                        [DBG_ESP_DISP]
                        [GAME_MODE]
                        [SOUND_MODE]
                        [WARNING_LOG]
                        [PLAYER_MODE]
                        [SN_PC_READ]
                        [SN_PC_READ_TOOL]
                        [BBA_IP]
                        [NO_DEATH]
                        [OBJ_SERVER]
                        [LANGUAGE]
                        [E3_VER]
                        [AIM_REVERSE]
                        [WIDE_MODE]
                        Likely the code doesnt exist in the PS2/PC version.
                        Let's pray that leaked version is a beta, or that they release a patch of some sort....I have to say that with the lack of lighting, RE4 PC makes my eyes want to bleed at times, especially in the Village Night and Castle stages.
                        Last edited by MeganGrass; 02-14-2007, 02:10 AM.
                        I'm a blackstar.

Comment

• Ah, i was hoping there are no binaries involved. Anyways, how i came to this conclusion is that i looked through the game.exe of the PC version and in the string table which contains filenames of game archives (like st1.dat, st2.dat..etc) saw strings like debug\roominfo.dat, debug\moji8.tm2, debug\config.txt.

Unfortunately no debug*.* files were in the unpacked game data. So something is obviously missing.

And yeah, none of the config settings for GC version are in string tables of either game.exe or configtool.exe.

Where could i get a hold of those *.rel files? Got a nice GC dev reference here. Might come up with something.

cheers

Comment

• Alright got the trial, extracted, examined and theres definitely no game debug code whatsoever in the PC version.

Comment

• Well, this is enough to spark my interest again! I'm gonna do some digging too...I love doing stuff like this, especially with BH/RE games. I never did figure out how to enable the debug in the BH4 GCN trial, but I'm sure I'll work on it some more now. Thanks for bringing it up lhaymehr! I just hope it doesn't end the same way it did last time for me. I'll be checking back when I can.

Comment

• Nah. See the code that MarkGrass posted? Those are the variables that can be set in the debug\config.txt file. Also, those variables are present in the GameCube apploader (equivalent to windows .exe) but NOT in the Windows version.

No potato

Comment

Working...
                                X