This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• YouTube can go eat a *censored*

Yeah, whatever. Sue me. I'm not taking the video down (BTW, the Spider-Pig one was removed by 20th Century Fox about 2 years ago. Dunno what they're on about.)

YouTube has become an asshole with all this copyright bullshit.

Has anyone else gotten a message like this?
    Last edited by Helegad; 03-31-2009, 02:41 AM.

BASTARDS! THEY TOOK IT DOWN! MY MOST POPULAR VIDEO!

It had over 40,000 views, and I recieved about five honors for it. Shit.

Comment

...that just made my head hurt. You mean they're an asshole for helping companies protect there copyrighted material, material that they can quite happily sue YouTube over in theory at least?

I mean, my opinion is if the company who own the material is asking folks to take something down then I'm gonna do it out of respect. But that's just me.

And nope, never had a video taken down.

Comment

actually there assholes for instead of just taking a video down they silence the damn thing. its happened to a ton of AMVs and a vidoe i did. strangely enough its never UMG its always WMG...maybe UMG is more laid back

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
          ...that just made my head hurt. You mean they're an asshole for helping companies protect there copyrighted material, material that they can quite happily sue YouTube over in theory at least?
          Got it in one, Darkmoon.

I legally own Chinatown Wars now, so it's my liberty to put up videos of it wherever I want (I think that's what the EULA states anyway).

And do you really think they'd try and sue the almighty YouTube? I don't.
          Last edited by Helegad; 03-31-2009, 09:08 AM.

Comment

Stop having a paddy, it's only the internet.

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
              I legally own Chinatown Wars now, so it's my liberty to put up videos of it wherever I want (I think that's what the EULA states anyway).
              You most likely only own one piece of plastic + PCB and a license, as is the case with most software.

And I believe there to be a line somewhere that reads something like (usually present somewhere within both the documentation that was provided with the software, as part of the software and also evt. on the storage medium of the software, if there is enough room for it):

"Unauthorized copying, adaptation, rental, lending, re-sale, arcade use, charging for use, broadcasting, cable transmission, public performance, distribution or extraction of this product or any trademark or copyright work that forms part of this product are prohibited."

And YouTube aren't exceptions to having to follow copyright laws.
              If some company contacts them about some user(s) having uploaded content that is their property, and they require it to be taken down, then YouTube will have to comply with that (unless they feel like facing legal charges).

Building a case against YouTube would probably be the easiest thing in the world to do. But instead, YouTube have been more than nice enough to comply with mostly every single linked piece of copyrighted material they've been requested to take down.

As for the reason why it lists both of your taken down videos, when only one was taken down now, is to remind you of how this isn't the first time it's happened and how they will delete/block/ban accounts that turn out to be frequent offenders.

Comment

Tough love.
                PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
                  Got it in one, Darkmoon.

And do you really think they'd try and sue the almighty YouTube? I don't.
                  I swear, you're trying to make my head explode aren't you? First telling everyone you're thinking of downloading crap the day you get unbanned for downloading crap and now this...

Oi.

What you bought is the right to play the game. You, however, don't own the game. Just the right to play it. You have no other rights. You can't download the soundtrack because it's on the disc. You can't upload stuff from the disc. Hell, I think it's illegal now to download the game as well even if you have a hardcopy. You have no other right than to play the game.

And secondly...just because YouTube isn't likely to be sued is no reason to ignore it when companies ask them to take stuff down. YouTube is a little smarter than that. The reason most companies don't sue them? Because they don't need to. YouTube gets rid of the problem once informed. Plus, and this is one you may not be familiar with, it's the right thing to do. When someone's copyright is violated and they're asked to take it down, then they take it down. And that's a good thing.

Comment

I am getting quite fed up with youtube too.
                    IT'S THE INTERNET. Stop being retarded about protecting the copyright of music that can be heard FOR FREE ON THE RADIO. Its actually promoting the song. If I hear a song I like in a youtube video, I might buy the song. Removing youtube videos will not hinder pirating at all, it will just alienate youtube users.[/rant]

Darkmoon, by your logic: every single resident evil video on youtube (including the 1.5 videos), should be removed because they are Capcom's intellectual property.
                    Leggy's videos should be muted because a sound clip in her video is from resident evil 2.

Comment

im sick of youtube aswell for the same reason.
                      i had 129 NIN vids on my youtube that i took precious time uploading and now i have 65 thanks to bull shit copy rights.

i agree with BLSR1 about the radio thing. i just uploaded the songs with the album cover not the music vids but they take it down anyway. its not like there stolen mp3s they were ripped straight from the cd

Comment

Legally speaking, yes, they probably should be. Since Capcom haven't asked anyone to pull them then they aren't. And there was much rejoicing. At no point have I ever said I agree with the law, now have I? Nope. That doesn't mean I'm gonna say you should break it.

But I'm sorry, folks. You wanna play with someone else's toys? Then don't get pissy when they say you can't. And that's what this is...you're using someone else's stuff here. You can give credit and hope, but if they want it down then who the hell are we to say, 'No, I demand to be allowed to put your stuff on the web!' Owning a CD or DVD or game does not, I repeat, does not take away the creator's right to control how there content is used. And the fact YouTube respects that is likely why it's still around.

EDIT: Nemesis, that's still illegal since it means folks don't need to go and, well, pay for the stuff. I mean, yes, you can listen to some songs on the radio. But the radio pays money to broadcast those songs. You just get to listen to the for free. Sticking an album online isn't usually in a band's best interests, since they're loosing revenue. Especially given that, what, four songs on a CD usually get air time. Out of twelve or so. You see where I'm going with this.
                        Last edited by Darkmoon; 03-31-2009, 04:41 PM.

Comment

First of all, Spider Pig is and always was lame. Second, don't blame YouTube, blame the over protective companies that order them to tear it all down. I have music and stuff on my YouTube page and it isn't a problem, it just all depends on what you're putting up.

Comment

its not like there stolen mp3s they were ripped straight from the cd
                            Uhh, it's the exact same thing.

Darkmoon is correct in all of his statements.
                            PROJECT Umbrella - The BIOHAZARD/RESIDENT EVIL Compendium

Comment

You're really making me question why I unbanned you despite EVERYONE HERE telling me to keep you banned. Shape up, or your back out.

Comment

Working...
                              X