Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Once again...what is the best version of RE3?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Once again...what is the best version of RE3?

After playing and beating Resident Evil 2 on my Dreamcast with S-Video outputs and fullscreen aspect ratio FMV's on NIGHTMARE mode I can definitely say it was like replaying it all over again. And Extreme Battle with Chris Redfield made it worth the purchase alone.

So the Dreamcast version of RE2 is pretty much the best version (visually). I decided to get the Dreamcast version of Resident Evil 3 Nemesis. Why not the port of RE2 for Dreamcast was awesome this should be too right? Nope! It definitely did NOT look like the RE2 version. Some of the background textures were very blurry/muddy. And the real problem for me was the character models. The polygon models are animated weird and constantly flicker/jiggle. The characters models in RE2 for DREAMCAST were crisp/clean and didn't move weird, the polygons stayed still.

Anyone who has both versions (Dreamcast/Gamecube) tell the difference? I just went on Youtube and saw gameplay videos of the Gamecube version (it didn't have HD/HQ mode) but from I saw it didn't have the weird shaky polygon models.

PC version fo' sure! Pretty good controls, and you only need a few simple fixes for it to work on XP/Vista.

Comment

PS1 version via emulation :p

Comment

That's what I like about you, A-J. You've always been a staunch Sony supporter.

See you in hell.

Comment

Yeaaaaah !

Comment

Once again, DREAMCAST VERSION, or maybe GC.
            I think they all have the same extras

Comment

Gamecube. It has all the enhancements of the PC with none of the drawbacks (except FMV). I looked into this for the RPD Dispatch episode, you can find my posts here and decide for yourself:

Cutscene comparison:

Backgrounds:

I'd say PC, but the fact that it has lower sample audio for footsteps, firearms and door closing sounds and the fact it has texture interpolation issues makes Gamecube the winner for me. Heres a list of pros and cons:

Playstation:
              -Mercs and Costumes require a beaten game save
              -320x240 rendered
              -Poor color/hue on FMV
              -15 FPS FMV

Dreamcast:
              +640x480 rendered
              +Costumes and Mercs unlocked by default
              -Poor quality backgrounds (640x480)
              -Overexposed FMV
              -15 FPS FMV

PC:
              +640x480 (or higher) rendered
              +640x480 backgrounds
              -15 FPS FMV
              -Lower quality sounds on doors, firearms, footsteps

PC (Source Next):
              +640x480 (or higher) rendered
              +640x480 backgrounds
              +30 FPS FMV
              -Lower quality sounds on doors, firearms, footsteps

Gamecube:
              +640x480 rendered
              +640x480 backgrounds
              +Can be forced to 480p with no side effects
              +30 FPS FMV
              -Awful quality FMV

The Gamecube version is a port of the Playstation 1 version, which requires you to beat the game to unlock the merc mode. Also, you must attain all costumes depending on your rank.

The PC/DC/SourceNext versions have all costumes (plus 2? extra) and mercs unlocked by default. I also believe that the Source Next version has both American mode (arrange) and the Japanese mode, both of which have Heavy/Light modes (or Hard / Easy in the case of the US). And no, Heavy/Light and Hard/Easy are not the same difficulties.

Overall, I'd say:

1. Source Next PC
              2. PC
              3. Gamecube
              4. PSX
              5. Dreamcast

But thats entirely up to you to decide. It depends if you want the 2 extra costumes and modes. I don't mind the fact that you need a save to unlock all the costumes (minus the new two) and beat the game to acquire Mercs on the PSX/Cube versions.
              Last edited by Dot50Cal; 04-03-2009, 06:58 AM.

Comment

What are the extra costumes ? Do you have pictures of those two extra costumes ?
                Sevket's Game Collection
                PSN Gamercards

Comment

Sorry, I forget what they were now. Maybe someone else can help.

Comment

i made this picture way back in 2001 lol, always comes in handy.

Comment

I'm a sony whore myself but the I would go with the gamecube version.

Comment

Holy shit Dot50Cal thanks for the in-depth comparisons. Each console definitely has it's own pros and cons. If I can find RE3 for less than 20 bucks then it's mine. The only video game store that has it brand new for Gamecube is unfortunately $39.99 plus tax (Canadian).

Too bad for the quality of the FMV's though. I really gotta find that source next PC version.

Comment

GC is easily the best console version IMO.

Although I LOVE the original PS1 version and played through it countless times and I also prefer the dual shock controller. But when I got the GC version, it was like playing a 'new' game.
                          The in game graphics, character models AND backgrounds are a vast improvement. It's a real treat! (especially for someone like me who dosn't like gaming on a PC).

I still don't know why the GC RE2 version wasn't of the same quality. (laziness?)

Comment

The PS1 version, has the second best graphics after the GC version and the best controller.

Comment

Its the shame the GC vers didn't pack the 2 extra costumes, or else it'll have be the definite version.

Still, I'll say GC is the best here.

Comment

Working...
                              X