Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: RPD Dispatch 13 - Playing Silent Hill 1

#49 Giant Majini

Quote Originally Posted by Dot50Cal View Post
    Yeah, sure Should be nice to hear Rob's thoughts on it
    Is this because I bitched about the film references in Homecoming? :p

I actually liked the Silent Hill film mostly, so I don't think I'll have much to dislike and complain about. Thinking on it now the only thing I didn't like so much it it seemed like there was too many people seemingly alive in the town... but that's a little subjective because each game has had a small supporting cast and the way the plot is setup in the movie, the people being allowed to live in the sanctuary of the church.
    Last edited by Rombie; 04-13-2009 at 08:25 AM.

Elite Virus Scrubber

So in anticipation for the podcast, I'll try to take snaps from some notable locations in the game, and post them here.

Starting with the first leg.

Starting -> School Entrance

Using a cleared game save file with the infinite ammo alien gun thing Thank you gamefaqs.

There's a poster in the diner, that tells us all the golden rule of life. Study dammit !.

This odd camera view is done by choosing "Self View" and selecting the camera control to "Reversed" in the options menu's second page. You need to have a cleared game save file to get the Self View mode though. Again, thank you gamefaqs.

It's a cross between FPS and the over the shoulder camera most recent games use, you can only see Harry's head for some strange reason and the alien gun is the only weapon that projects a laser reticule.

Self explanatory.

Severed Dog head, yummy. It's creepy things like this that are lacking from the recent Silent Hill games.

People say this is supposed to be a reference to the Silence of the Lambs movie's Buffalo Bill character. I haven't seen the movie in years, so can't say.

Someone do a side by side comparison between Harry from this and the Shattered memories Harry !.

Queen Burger lol, the liquid thing on the ground is the blood of a bird demon that I shot down.

Shooting a Harpy in near-First Person.

Saved at the school entrance, will post more as I play along. The school has some really odd posters that would make sweet screens.
    Last edited by A-J; 04-13-2009 at 10:08 AM.

I would love to here about Silent Hill as it is the only game that I played in the series. Definately compare it to the first RE and I never understood the ending so explain that if you could.

Banned

I haven't played the first Silent Hill, but I'll most likely still listen to this upcoming podcast.

The Emissary

Time to track down a copy.
    See you in hell.

Banned

I should. But I have to beat Silent Hill 2 and Deadly Silence before I get another game.

Optic Camouflage

Ahh, Silent Hill...yet another game that NEEDS to be on the US PSN Store.

I'll be honest. I only played the demo for Silent Hill, once, around 10 or 11 years ago. It creeped me out, obviously. The awkward camera angles, the foggy mist, the eerie soundtrack and oh yeah, that man who was gutted and tied to a fence at the end of the demo before Harry passes out and wakes up in the diner. I'm pretty sure I turned off my PS1 then and there.

Banned

"I'll be honest. I only played the demo for Silent Hill, once, around 10 or 11 years ago. It creeped me out, obviously. The awkward camera angles, the foggy mist, the eerie soundtrack and oh yeah, that man who was gutted and tied to a fence at the end of the demo before Harry passes out and wakes up in the diner. I'm pretty sure I turned off my PS1 then and there."

Not much for horror then, were you?

Elite Virus Scrubber

I'll be honest. I only played the demo for Silent Hill, once, around 10 or 11 years ago. It creeped me out, obviously. The awkward camera angles, the foggy mist, the eerie soundtrack and oh yeah, that man who was gutted and tied to a fence at the end of the demo before Harry passes out and wakes up in the diner. I'm pretty sure I turned off my PS1 then and there.

but that's just the first five minutes of the full game

you should give it a try

Overly Old School

I know more than one being broken by Silent Hill, and know at least two people who refused to touch it after the phone scene at the hospital. Oh the amusement.

Boulder Incident Witness

The part that always messed with me was Nowhere.

I honestly could NOT play through that level with the sound on. Too freakin' creepy for me. Then again, I'm stupid and was playing it at like...2 in the morning. Go me. xD

Elite Virus Scrubber

A notice in an elementary school saying "Hell is coming". Now that's just wrong ;P

Open Minded Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by A-J View Post

This odd camera view is done by choosing "Self View" and selecting the camera control to "Reversed" in the options menu's second page. You need to have a cleared game save file to get the Self View mode though. Again, thank you gamefaqs.

It's a cross between FPS and the over the shoulder camera most recent games use, you can only see Harry's head for some strange reason and the alien gun is the only weapon that projects a laser reticule.
    what the fuck... first time i see this, a sort of over the shoulder view, it looks pretty cool. I still can't believe i never noticed before this optional camera point of view.
    I need to play Silent Hill again, thank you A-J

War Horse Uranium

Yeah, I never saw that either. Nice stuff AJ

I recall seeing Silent Hill 1 for the first time. A friend was playing it when I went over his house. He was in the hospital and I was scared as hell watching it, lol. I never touched the thing after that until a couple years ago. Can't wait to get back in.

CR29, I wouldnt play it on the PS3. It has a crappy bug with the firearms, where it plays a screeching sound after you shoot them. This is probably why it was pulled from the Euro PSN, lol.

Elite Virus Scrubber

so based on the screens above, the graphics seems fairly competent for the Wii, a direct port should've sufficed.

i kid i kid :p

I'm glad to see someone found the RE4 style camera. It really pissed me off when Silent Hill 2 removed it.
    Last edited by Harry Mason; 04-13-2009 at 09:16 PM.

#44 Wetland Majini GuardhouseMusic's Avatar

Well, being used to RE-style horror when Silent Hill came out, I played the demo. From the moment I saw the corpse hanging on that fence, I must have said to myself "okay, no more sound." I was impressed enough to get it, but I was too scared to play it with sound, plus I just used a walkthrough. Or did I? I remember having trouble with the piano puzzle. Either way, the story made absolutely no sense to me, and it was only years later I discovered the significance of it. That's the only SH I've played; unfortunately, I never picked up any of the others (though I played a SH 3 demo). That's a massive regret.

I enjoy the references in it, from the streets named after horror fiction writers, to the film references (like the SotL one A-J mentioned), to the music references (Sonic Youth- Last names in the school directory, Psychic TV- The PTV drug).

Savior of the Red Herb

I'd love to call in, but my computer is messed up so I'm using my dad's computer from work. Can't download anything. No Skype. D: Can I send an e-mail or some such thing?

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
    Ahh, Silent Hill...yet another game that NEEDS to be on the US PSN Store.

The funny thing is after you play the game through you never start from that point ever again, he always wakes up in the cafe in the next fear mode..unless you start a new game then he starts from the jeep..and if you beat the game you can use the semi FPS camera in a new game so you get to see Harry holding his lighter in the alley in the intro, which is pretty freaky in itself.

War Horse Uranium

Quote Originally Posted by Canas Renvall View Post
    I'd love to call in, but my computer is messed up so I'm using my dad's computer from work. Can't download anything. No Skype. D: Can I send an e-mail or some such thing?
    Yeah, thats the new preferred method. We took down the skype call in line. Just send me an mp3 ;) Theres a stick in the forum here with the email.

Thread Information