I'm getting an Xbox 360

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm getting an Xbox 360

Hey guys I'm selling my Wii so I can get an Xbox 360 and I just wanna know how everything works. I need to know everything about Xbox Live. What are some good games for Newcomers to the system? I'm getting PRO. Can you play Xbox 360 games in standard definition? What are some good games for when you become more used to the console? Pro comes with a 60 GB hard drive right?
    When I go to get it from future shop I'm gunna get RE5. What type of batteries are best for the wireless controller? Feel free to answer any questions I haven't said because most likely I won't know the answer to them.
    "Movies don't make psychos, movies make psychos more creative!" Billy Loomis

Yes. All games can be played in SD, but if you're on a PAL TV, make sure your TV is at least new enough to support 60hz (as there are quite a lot of 60hz only games)

Pro comes with a 60gb HDD, that's right.

The I use a set of Duracel with some of my controllers, but the best is probably to get some reliable rechargeable ones or evt. a play & charge kit.

Xbox LIVE works the following way:

A LIVE gamertag/account must be made while you've got online connectivity. Important thing to note for this is that your achievements and savegames and such are tied to your gamertag/account.

You can easily merge/tie your gamertag with stuff like your MSN LIVE ID and hotmail address and such. If you do, most of the form filling is more or less done automatically.

A Silver account is free, but your first created account will have a month or three of free GOLD (possibly more, depending on what type of deal you got on your 360. Some may come packed in with 12+1 month cards and stuff.)

A GOLD account enables you to play online and it also will in some cases give you early access to content on the marketplace before SILVER users do. There are also always some sort of weekly deal where GOLD users get a discount on some random stuff from the marketplace.

SILVER user can buy stuff from the marketplace and such, but isn't entitled to the same benefits of GOLD. If you're in an area that supports NETFLIX over Xbox LIVE, you'll need a GOLD account in order to use NETFLIX.

I dunno what games you like, but there's stuff to pick from in pretty much all categories. If you're a bit more specific about what you're interested in I guess someone could list some titles and write a short description of what they're like.

Also, there are lots of demos and trailers on the Marketplace, so maybe you could just start from there and see if you find anything you like.

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
      Yes. All games can be played in SD, but if you're on a PAL TV, make sure your TV is at least new enough to support 60hz (as there are quite a lot of 60hz only games)

Pro comes with a 60gb HDD, that's right.

The I use a set of Duracel with some of my controllers, but the best is probably to get some reliable rechargeable ones or evt. a play & charge kit.

Xbox LIVE works the following way:

A LIVE gamertag/account must be made while you've got online connectivity. Important thing to note for this is that your achievements and savegames and such are tied to your gamertag/account.

You can easily merge/tie your gamertag with stuff like your MSN LIVE ID and hotmail address and such. If you do, most of the form filling is more or less done automatically.

A Silver account is free, but your first created account will have a month or three of free GOLD (possibly more, depending on what type of deal you got on your 360. Some may come packed in with 12+1 month cards and stuff.)

A GOLD account enables you to play online and it also will in some cases give you early access to content on the marketplace before SILVER users do. There are also always some sort of weekly deal where GOLD users get a discount on some random stuff from the marketplace.

SILVER user can buy stuff from the marketplace and such, but isn't entitled to the same benefits of GOLD. If you're in an area that supports NETFLIX over Xbox LIVE, you'll need a GOLD account in order to use NETFLIX.

I dunno what games you like, but there's stuff to pick from in pretty much all categories. If you're a bit more specific about what you're interested in I guess someone could list some titles and write a short description of what they're like.

Also, there are lots of demos and trailers on the Marketplace, so maybe you could just start from there and see if you find anything you like.
      I like First person shooters, RPGs, and action adventure games, and horror games as well but no silent hill.

Comment

Well, you should certainly put "Condemned" on your list, then. It's like a mixture of FPS, Action Adventure and Horror.

Should probably give the F.E.A.R. demo a spin too.

Both of those games should be available at budget price, though.

RPGs is something there's not many of this generation, but your options are:

Fable II
        Oblivion
        Fallout 3
        Mass Effect
        Lost Odyssey
        The Last Remnant
        Infinite Undiscovery
        Blue Dragon
        Phantasy Star Universe
        Enchanted Arms
        Tales of Vesperia
        Star Ocean - The Last Hope
        Eternal Sonata
        Final Fantasy XI (MMO)

There's plenty of FPS action to be had on the 360. I guess a must buy, if you don't have it already, is The Orange Box (Half-Life 2 + Episode 1-2 + Team Fortress 2 + Portal)

There's always Halo 3, I guess.
        Personally, I found myself really enjoying TimeShift when I gave it a second chance.

Gears of War 1-2 is probably a "must", I suppose.

Dead Rising is pretty awesome too.

Dunno what region you're from, but here's the US list of backwards compatible Xbox games. In case you'd want to dig into some bargain bins and find some stuff.

Fatal Frame 1-2 are pretty nice, if you haven't already played them on PS2. (The PAL version of the first one, Project Zero, isn't backwards compatible.)
        Last edited by Carnivol; 04-30-2009, 08:51 PM. Reason: Added Fable II

Comment

Always a good idea to invest in a battery charger and rechargeable batteries, especially with either the Wii remote or the 360 controller. Besides, they're bloody useful and save for the initial cost, a much cheaper alternative to continuously buying new batteries. Better for the environment too, but who gives a fuck about the environment?

Seeing as you like FPS games, look no further than that little game called Halo 3. It's not a huge budget title, but apparently it's really good. There's also Fable II, but I'm certain that it's identical to the original Fable. Except it's got guns. There's also Star Ocean: The Last Hope, along with Lost Odyssey. Not sure what else comes to mind, but I'm sure that Carn can point you in the right direction.

God, I feel dirty saying all that.
          Last edited by Mr. Spencer; 04-30-2009, 07:15 PM.
          See you in hell.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
            Always a good idea to invest in a battery charger and rechargeable batteries, especially with either the Wii remote or the 360 controller. Besides, they're bloody useful and save for the initial cost, a much cheaper alternative to continuously buying new batteries. Better for the environment too, but who gives a fuck about the environment?

Seeing as you like FPS games, look no further than that little game called Halo 3. It's not a huge budget title, but apparently it's really good. There's also Fable II, but I'm certain that it's identical to the original Fable. Except it's got guns. There's also Star Ocean: The Last Hope, along with Lost Odyssey. Not sure what else comes to mind, but I'm sure that Carn can point you in the right direction.

God, I feel dirty saying all that.
            dude... i feel dirty just reading it.

Comment

The Cell processor frowns upon you, Mr. Spencer.

It's okay though. You have to learn to embrace these things at some point. I bent over and took it like a man... and now I have all three. See what playing nice can do (along with waiting for Christmas three years in a row)? XD

Comment

When I get my 360 I'll be hooking up in my room to my Symphonic ST420FF 20 inch TV, is my Symphonic ST420FF 20 inch TV a good T.V to use for my 360?

Comment

Is it HD? Even if it isn't, you should be fine.

Just don't expect to read the text boxes in Dead Rising if it's standard definition, though. XD
                  Last edited by Canas Renvall; 04-30-2009, 08:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
                    Is it HD? Even if it isn't, you should be fine.

Just don't expect to read the text boxes in Dead Rising if it's standard definition, though. XD
                    I hope I will be fine but here's a link to a page about it with a picture and stats.
                    http://www1.dealtime.com/xPF-Symphonic-ST420FF

Comment

Now since money is a huge problem nowadays. Its smart to by a 360 and then start going up a little at a time. Thats how I did it. I started with a 360, Wii, and then a PS3. If you have patience then you can get all this within a year or two. Its the smartest thing to do. Hope it helped. ;)

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
                        Fable II

Oh my. I forgot about Fable II.

Comment

Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
                          The Cell processor frowns upon you, Mr. Spencer.
                          Before I remove my own finger in disgrace. It'll be like that scene from Black Rain, where I'll be sitting in front of these Sony executives around a table, and some attendant brings over a knife and a towel.
                          Last edited by Mr. Spencer; 04-30-2009, 09:01 PM.
                          See you in hell.

Comment

I find the lack of Left 4 Dead in this topic disturbing.

Comment

'Cos anyone with brains plays Left 4 Dead on PC

Comment

Working...
                              X