Quick Questions Topic.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick Questions Topic.

This topic is for anybody that needs to ask a Quick Question and doesn't want to make a whole topic about it, you can just ask here. it can be a questions about anything game related or in real life, just anything.

Ill start with this.

Why do PS1 games only take up 8KB's of space to save a game but PS3 games take sometimes up to a whole Gigabyte just to save? i mean it's only making a save file? what is it that's taking up so much space with newer games? im asking cause im running out of space on my hard drive and don't know what to do.

i believe the ps3 games have more data and such on it then a ps1 game does.

Comment

how do u fix online and get rid of DNS error 80710102?

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackMamba View Post
        how do u fix online and get rid of DNS error 80710102?

Comment

Originally posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
          i believe the ps3 games have more data and such on it then a ps1 game does.
          Really? that's the only reason? But how much more stuff does a PS3 game save than a PS1 game? i mean it can't have anything to do with graphics can it?

Comment

im not exactly sure but im pretty sure it has a little bit of something to do with the graphics
            Last edited by nemesiswontdie; 05-13-2009, 08:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by nemesiswontdie View Post
              im not exactly sure but im positive it has a little bit of something to do with the graphics
              Yeah but aren't graphics stored on the disk? I mean you don't have ot save the graphics do you? Just where your up to.

My brother asked me this and i didn't know how to answer it so im asking here.

Comment

lol well im not even sure any more since you brought that up

sorry missv but ive completly dont have any idea any more lol

Comment

Gears of war 1 has only a 150 kb save ?

Comment

Sometimes the game saves the whole map, graphics and all. Deus Ex comes to mind, where a single save would be no less than 5MB and sometimes up to 50MB.

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
                      Why do PS1 games only take up 8KB's of space to save a game but PS3 games take sometimes up to a whole Gigabyte just to save? i mean it's only making a save file? what is it that's taking up so much space with newer games? im asking cause im running out of space on my hard drive and don't know what to do.
                      Check if the games save cache data to save time loading. Game saves can achieve big sizes depending on the amount of data that it needs to store, for example, sports games usually use big space because of all the transfers data, personal tactics, leaderboards and stuff (asuming you're playing season).

I've heard that some games on the PS3 need to install data on the hard disk, maybe that's why your saves go up to GBs. This didn't happen with the PS1 games because the standard media capacity (CDs 650-700 mb.) was lower, and consoles didn't have storage solutions but memory cards of small size.

I feel such a geek right now.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

I read somewhere ( probably bioflames ) that the biohazard 2 trial disc has a couple beta 1.5 models that can be viewed with the right software. What models? Any pictures?

Comment

^ Ah, thanks for that ZombD and Helegad.

Originally posted by Harry Mason View Post
                          I read somewhere ( probably bioflames ) that the biohazard 2 trial disc has a couple beta 1.5 models that can be viewed with the right software. What models? Any pictures?
                          I think it's true but i can't prove it. i have a trail Biohazard 2 disk from japan that i found in a bunch of old stuff my grandfather gave me, i was like HOLY SHIT!! when i found it, because it had screen shots of RE1.5 on the back cover. I got all exited but then i realised the disk was a little scrached up. it didn't work when i put it in, but i could try taking it to get a disk clean. But my PS1 is PAL and it's from japan so i dont think it would work anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
                            Here's my nerdo answer since I program

.. game saves generally contain depending on the type of game events flags, items unlocked, characters unlocked, characters position, levels unlocked, positions of enemies, play time, ammo, modified geography, time of day in gametime, a record of randomly generated calculations for games that use (a random dungeon, random weapon combinations, order list of fighters you must face)...yeah even a customizable character with switchable faces, hair, eyes, armor worn, weapon equipped all end up in a gamesave.

Back on the old Playstation these "events" were not as complex as today,an example would be modified geography where on the PSX the programmers probably wrote to the memory card something simple like:

table 1 = destroyed

something like this would be read for every possible condition of all the destructable environment and would only record the ones damaged.

while the same thing on a PS3 could record not only that the object is damaged but how it was damaged, where any randomly generated junk landed, the bullet marks, explosion burn, (geo mod games like Red Faction might even record the modified environment at the wireframe level for the whole game which is ONE HELL of a lot of data!) and that's just one possible part of the save!

Comment

^ WOW! thanks for the answer to my question Harry Mason.

Comment

Working...
                              X