Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The Y Chromosome - Men becoming extinct?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Y Chromosome - Men becoming extinct?

The Y-chromosome - the ultimate symbol of machismo - is in a bad way. But, asks Bryan Sykes, apart from breeding, what real use is the male to the human race?

After hearing on TV last week about how men are becoming extinct, I decided to look into it a little. Apparently the Y Chromosome is mutating and men will, at some point, be extinct. Fact, fiction? Who knows. I wouldn't wanna be around in a world with no men though, wouldn't be right.

What are your thoughts on this?

I always thought women where the spare part.
    If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kevstah2004 View Post
      na i think we're all equal its just god made a mistake with us men

Comment

Man, natures mistake. If we get a faulty X gene, our Y gene may not have the necessary codes to save us. Woo being the inferior model.

A lot can happen in a hundred thousand years. The Y might eventually revert back to a X. Then there is always our mastery of science. I don't think it necessarily be the end of males. Though if it is I'll have to will myself out of my grave and back into existence. Would be a laugh. Maybe I should go and copywrite that as a sitcom idea.

Comment

And there was much rejoicing among the feminazis of the world.

Comment

Originally posted by kevstah2004 View Post
            Indeed, or to put it in the words of Inspector Sledge Hammer: Real men don't need women!

Comment

Originally posted by Archelon View Post
              And there was much rejoicing among the feminazis of the world.
              *shivers*

Comment

..i know im a traitor but WOOT!!!!

now i have a reason for my nice side

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                  Indeed, or to put it in the words of Inspector Sledge Hammer: Real men don't need women!
                  Trunk: Hammer, without women, you would never have been born...
                  Hammer: Prove it!

So... we are heading to extinction, right?... Huh... Never! *runs to a cryogen machine*
                  Last edited by Ridley W. Hayes; 05-31-2009, 10:15 PM.

Comment

Without really getting into the science of it all - yes, the Y chromosome is decaying.
                    That doesn't necessarily mean the end of men (and women for that matter too).

Very rarely some people are born who have two X chromosomes, and are yet outwardly male. However, they are usually infertile. From memory, the Y chromosome has about 30-40 genes on it (The whole genome has roughly 25,000 to 30,000), and only one of which is involved in making an embryo male. What happens in XX males, is that the gene moves onto another chromosome, and functions from there. The other genes on the Y chromosome are mostly used in sperm production, which is why XX males are infertile, and why females can live just fine without them.

Since healthy sperm isn't all that necessary in reproduction anymore (IVF anyone?), it won't spell the end of the species. Because the Y chromosome is so small, it can be grafted onto another chromosome too, which would make the one it was grafted onto a new 'Y' chromosome, and start to decay faster than the rest - but it would buy the species at least a few hundred thousand years.
                    sigpic

Comment

^ Yup, all of us and everyone from our lineage will most likely be dust by then. Unless of course you have your body frozen like Ridley mentioned Cue Vanilla Skies *Open your eyes*
                      "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                      Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

@ TheSelfishGene: I think there's a movie about the people with that ¿syndrome? called XXY.

Comment

Ah, well. You had a good run. Bye bye!

Just kidding. XD

Comment

Well, I'll be long dead by the time any of this happens.
                            See you in hell.

Comment

Well Elliot in Jurassic Park was kinda right, woman will inherit the earth after all.

I like this idea, but i doubt it will ever actually happen, and there is so much sperm in sperm banks women would be able to survive for a long time after men die out.

Id like to live to see this if it ever happens.

Comment

Working...
                              X