Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lara Croft: Gaming Icon

Two guesses as to why she is...

But how she got her fame is irrelevant. She's one of the biggest names in gaming and would be recognized by many non-gamers. In addition to her many games, she had a somewhat long-running comic book series and...ya know...two Hollywood films starring one of the biggest names out there.

Yet I see Halo fanboys trying to tell me the Master Chief is more iconic and well-known than she is...

Does anybody else find that hysterical? The clone of the Doomguy who most people would probably call "the Halo guy" is supposed to be a bigger name than Lara?

The same goes for other characters like Link...everyone thinks you're Zelda, dude.

the angel of darkness killed the series for me, wasn't until i played underworld i got back into the whole series but master chief more of an icon then lara? hell no.

Comment

Originally posted by Becky's Butt View Post
      Yet I see Halo fanboys trying to tell me the Master Chief is more iconic and well-known than she is...
      I really can't see how could anyone tell that MC is more well-known than Lara.
      Try to ask a no gamer about Lara Croft and Master Chief... I bet she/he will know who Lara is and won't know who Master Chief is. Sure, Halo games are more popular this days than Tomb Raider games (damn you "Angel of Darkness" and the inability of Crystal Dynamics to implement good camera and good shooting mechanism :/), but it is Lara who went beyond just games - she was the first (and only? I don't know) virtual character that was on the Times cover.

The only character that could be more well-known than Lara is Mario.
      Last edited by Mr_Zombie; 06-08-2009, 03:24 AM.

Comment

Halo fanboys are dumb sometimes, Lara Croft is probably one of the only characters you can truthfully call the most popular character ever, FACT. And have it be an actually fact. Mario is the only other character to be able to do that.

Lara is definitely the most popular character ever, and I'm not even a fan of her, i think she's a little overrated to be honest.

Originally posted by Becky's Butt View Post
        The same goes for other characters like Link...everyone thinks you're Zelda, dude.
        Lol, i thought that too at first.

Comment

Uncharted delivered the final blow to the Tomb Raider franchise but Lara was always popular.
          sigpic

Comment

Every generation has there favorite just because gaming has become more popular doesn't mean you should dismiss the characters of Yesteryear because a new game breaks the previous sale barrier and thus is deemed the new greatest gaming character.
            Last edited by kevstah2004; 06-08-2009, 08:50 AM.
            If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

There's no way Master Chief is more iconic than Lara Croft. Like others have said, ask an average Joe about either one and you're bound to hear Lara's name ring a bell in their head.

And yes, Angelina Jolie played Lara, which is actually kinda huge since she's a big, big actress (she dethroned Oprah as the world's most powerful woman).

Comment

Sonic the Hedgehog's also pretty iconic...

Comment

Yeah...it's all about the headlights. And it's a pretty good series too

Comment

And those are the stereotypical tweens who dictate today's gaming market (see EVERY GameFAQS character/game battle....its always Zelda or FF7...except for that one year where L-Block won lol). The new generation has it's "Mario" you can say. Us old schoolers still hold Mario, Lara, Cloud, etc. etc. as our most memorable. I say it's all up for debate who's a gaming icon and who isn't. MC wouldn't have been made if it wasn't for Wolfenstein 3-D or Doom. And Lara would not of been made if it wasn't for Adventure games on the PC for Windows DOS. There. MC and the Halo franchise didn't improve on the industry unlike Half-Life or even HL2. The next time you play some XBL with other Halo 3 peeps, listen to their adolescent voices and give them a history lesson.

I view gaming icons on what the game did for the industry and the character's development.

Angel of Darkness was the dark horse of the series, they tried to imitate the TR games on the PSX but failed due to the unknown territory that was the PS2 at the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Daargoth View Post
                      And those are the stereotypical tweens who dictate today's gaming market (see EVERY GameFAQS character/game battle....its always Zelda or FF7...except for that one year where L-Block won lol). The new generation has it's "Mario" you can say. Us old schoolers still hold Mario, Lara, Cloud, etc. etc. as our most memorable.
                      Say what? How are Cloud and Lara more oldschool than The Legend of Zelda? You do realize Zeld'a been around since the 80s, while the other two have only been around since the later 90s, right? I'm not saying you don't know already know this, but your post is misleading...

Anyway, I agree that Lara Croft is a bigger gaming icon than Master Chief. Hell, Jill Valentine's a bigger icon than Master Chief. Honestly, outside of the circles who obsessively claim "lolz Halo is the roxorz", how many people really pay much attention to the story of Halo, much less the protagonist's name? I guarantee you most people just call him "that guy from Halo".
                      A man chooses...a slave obeys.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMemories View Post
                        Say what? How are Cloud and Lara more oldschool than The Legend of Zelda? You do realize Zeld'a been around since the 80s, while the other two have only been around since the later 90s, right? I'm not saying you don't know already know this, but your post is misleading...

Anyway, I agree that Lara Croft is a bigger gaming icon than Master Chief. Hell, Jill Valentine's a bigger icon than Master Chief. Honestly, outside of the circles who obsessively claim "lolz Halo is the roxorz", how many people really pay much attention to the story of Halo, much less the protagonist's name? I guarantee you most people just call him "that guy from Halo".
                        lol shoulda redit that Cloud part, was going on a rant and didn't know what else to put down. Shoulda said DK or that Burger Time guy

Comment

While I have no respect for Tomb Raider series, but when people say "Halo revolutionized the FPS genre" then you know there is no reason in this world.

Maybe the old schoolers can correct me on this, but it seems to me that nowadays the status of an "icon" depends on ones platform preference more than it did before.

Comment

Sonic VS Marios. It was still pretty bad in the old days. I think the biggest difference was it was before the net was really readily available, and so the rabid fanboys didn't have room to rant and rave pointlessly without getting an ass kicking.

Comment

games nowadays just aren't as fun as they used too be that's why i'm always on stuff like pacman,old skool sonic and mario games that's when games themselves were classic and awesome now its all overwhored graphics and fanboys saying x game is better than this x game its funny how many idiots i see saying halo is better than doom or even duke nukem 3d hell even wolfenstein and in reality if it wern't for them halo wouldn't even exist like tomb raider wouldn't new gamers these days should really play stuff from the past instead of just going on and on about how great character models look etc bores the hell out of me seeing people go on about that kinda crap...

Comment

Working...
                              X