No announcement yet.

Stay OFF the roads for a year!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In all seriousness though, I've been waiting for this chance since... well, forever. I've always been a car-freak and I'm looking at getting Vanishing Point/Death Proof 1970 Dodge Challenger when I can
    You really don't look to the future, do you? How much do you think it'd be to insure that with YOU inside it?

Comment

Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post
      He'll skid so bad his car is launched across the equator, creating a pileup from hitting my parents' minivan on the Brooklyn-Queens expressway.

Something like that?
      I thought of this when you mentioned the pileup.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JjPkf_YVLjY

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
        You really don't look to the future, do you? How much do you think it'd be to insure that with YOU inside it?
        Who says insurance is required?

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post

it is

Comment

I suppose it may be different in Australia...but in most countries you need insurance to drive a car, regardless, and the model will affect just how many souls you have to fork over.

Comment

Originally posted by Helegad View Post
              You pay insurance and registration and that is REQUIRED to be on the road, first of all.

Then, comes the optional part, but with certain people (IE. You) I'd say you'd need it. When you rear-end someone in a car that's probably better than yours, they'll want to either get you to pay or sue (yes, it happens believe it or not). Naturally, you won't be able to pay for it our of your pocket because I doubt you have anything close to a salary, and you'll need to look to your insurance fund in order to. So yeah, it's optional, but only retarded and/or poor people won't go for it.

Life sucks, Helegad, shit like this will happen and you can't get by thinking OH YEAH IT WONT SO I WONT NEED INSURANCE HUR HUR.

I suppose if you live in a poor area then my example won't really apply.

Comment

Originally posted by James View Post
                You pay insurance and registration and that is REQUIRED to be on the road, first of all.

Then, comes the optional part, but with certain people (IE. You) I'd say you'd need it. When you rear-end someone in a car that's probably better than yours, they'll want to either get you to pay or sue (yes, it happens believe it or not). Naturally, you won't be able to pay for it our of your pocket because I doubt you have anything close to a salary, and you'll need to look to your insurance fund in order to. So yeah, it's optional, but only retarded and/or poor people won't go for it.

Life sucks, Helegad, shit like this will happen and you can't get by thinking OH YEAH IT WONT SO I WONT NEED INSURANCE HUR HUR.

I suppose if you live in a poor area then my example won't really apply.
                I'm just going to pretend you wrote that in a non-assholeish way and just thank you for the advice

Comment

Hi.

First of all, insurance is divided in many categories, but in most countries you are absolutely required to have liability insurance. This means you are covered when you inflict injury and/or damage to another individual or property.

Second, a 1970 Dodge Challenger (which was the white one, by the way, just to make sure. The black one was not a Challenger) is an expensive classic, and will require you to fork over 20-30,000 easily. Unless you want to get it financed, in which case the bank will require you to have full-coverage insurance to begin with. This is not cheap at a young age.

Third, a young person should not drive a powerful vehicle like that. Especially the older classics, seeing as they easily fishtail and/or behave irrationally if not operated experienced, and are difficult to service due to their carburetor intakes if you're, again, inexperienced. A decked out Challenger can pump out anywhere from 400+ horses on a whim, and no young person should be allowed to drive this without a few years of driving experience.

Most of this applies in the United States, except for the latter parts. Start off small and get comfortable first. You have to be able to 100% own the car, not let the car own you.
                  Last edited by Sinclair; 06-24-2009, 12:04 AM.

Comment

The black one was a Charger

Thanks for all your advice, it's definitely the best post in the whole topic I've got 100 hours of driving to get through, so I'll probably be okay with driving by then. Doesn't mean I'll go out and buy a Challenger willy-nilly, though. They're expensive bastards, so I'll probably end up waiting a few years first. Also, I'll leave the servicing up to a qualified motor mechanic.

Comment

Well, I got myself a fairly rough insurance estimate.

My mother pays about $500-600 a year to insure her Toyota Avalon.

My Challenger will run me $3,800-4,500 a year.

Gawd-damm.

Comment

told ya

Comment

Ah well, I'd love my car more than my mother loves hers. I can pay it

Comment

I want an 81-83 Audi Quattro. Preferably in red.

See you in hell.

Comment

DeLorean DMC-12 all the way.

Comment

Wha?! This thread is full of enthusiasm and dead friends. *sheds a tear*
                                "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                                Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Working...
                                X