What I dislike about Remake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I dislike about Remake

There were a lot of fans who kept praising Remake. They said it was a great game. They said how much they loved the improvements over the original, and that it was more than a remake, which is true, since the remake featured some new areas, and actually changed the routes you had to take. But I could never understand what the hell they saw in it. Really.

This is not an attempt at bashing the remake. I don't think the Remake was a bad game, but it didn't do anything for me, seriously.

When the very first preview trailer of Remake came out, I was excited about this game. I really was. The trailer was awesome!

But that was the trailer......

It seems these days that things you see in videogame trailers don't wind up being in the final product. I have mixed feelings about this. I understand that the games being worked on are a work in progress, and things are subject to change, but at the same time it sounds like false advertising when you see things in a trailer that are just awesome, and the final game doesn't really deliver what you saw.

Before I get more in-depth with that, I would like to explain why Remake didn't do anything for me.

All BS aside, Remake didn't do anything for me when it came out years ago. It could have been because I played Resident Evil Zero before I played Remake, so I wasn't really impressed with what Remake delivered.

1. The graphics.

The Remake attempted to re-design everything, and the graphics were updated. However, the feelings of atmosphere were gone. That's right, gone.

What the original Resident Evil delivered, Remake failed on this. Believe it or not, but darkness didn't deliver atmosphere. The original had way more atmosphere than Remake did. I liked the lighting in the first game.

Also, the occassional thunder and lightning in Remake wasn't that great either. I saw nothing scary about it, and I found it to be lame. It was like "try-hard" to scare the gamers. I didn't like anything about it.

Why the first game delivered atmosphere in my eyes:

To me, the first game will always give me the feeling that what happened in the game, you could actually imagine seeing that happen in real-life. The first game was a masterpiece.

I'll give you an example. In the hallway where you fight the first zombie, the zombie eating Kenneth's corpse, this is an example of atmosphere.

There was a window right on the wall there. And the hallway was completely quite. And here you are shooting at a creepy creature called the zombie. The lack of music really helped here. And seeing that window made you wonder if that viscious creature that chased you into the mansion was still out there.

Remake's take on this:

The camera angle is different. There is a door there. The hallway is dark. There is lightning and thunder sounds on occassion. Everything that the original produced to give me that "feeling of realism" was gone.

What is a shame about the game industry today is that they think everything is graphics. Sometimes TOO MUCH DETAIL can hurt the game. And that is what I felt Remake was like.

Overall, the graphics in Remake didn't really impress me. The new camera angles and lighting, plus the thunder/sound effects weren't really anything to brag about.

And Remake re-did the intro scene, where now it is 3 cerberus chasing the team, where in the original, they never really showed the whole face of the mysterious creature, we can only speculate that it was a cerberus, but we don't know for sure.....

Bottom Line: The original was a lot more scarier than this game.

2. The Enemies:

Yes, I found the enemies in the original to be more scarier than in Remake, especially the hunter.

The hunter in the original scared the shit out of me, where as in Remake, the figure of the hunter was different, those same creepy sound effects that were made in the original were gone, and now I just looked at the hunter like another monster.

What happend to those hunters that made those clicks when they walked, and the eerie remixed mansion music that accompanied them? And when there was no music, things seemed just as tense.

When you come back to the mansion, and everything has changed, you realize that you must have done something wrong that made these creatures show up.

Now the whole mansion is crawling with hunters!

The remake failed on this too.

Bottom Line: Those special feelings that the original gave me, I didn't get at all from Remake.

3. Remake changed the routes, added new rooms.

I really didn't care for the new routes you had to take, and the new rooms. They seemed un-necessary, and they seemed like they were added just to show off the graphics. Having the original game with the graphics redone would have been enough.

Bottom Line: It's not a remake if they are adding new things that drastically change from the original. The new routes you had to take were un-necessary.

SUMMARY: I don't think the remake is a bad game. I have it, and I plan on buying the Wii version as well, for the collection. However, if you couldn't understand where I'm coming from in this review, the best way I can explain is that Remake didn't do anything for me that the original did.

The original did it spot on. Everything. And it showed that you don't need total darkness to give the player a feeling of atmosphere and scariness.

Where as, when I played Remake, there was nothing intriguing about it. I would play the original over Remake any day.

It might be difficult for some of you to understand where I'm coming from, but it is more about feelings. Special feelings that the original gave me, and the fact that the original seemed like that those things could happen in real life, where as Remake didn't evoke any of those feelings. Remake felt like a new-age game that cared more about graphics.

But that is my opinion. You will probably have your own opinion. I would like to hear what you think.

Original > Remake
    My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
    ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Nah. You worded it well enough that I can respect your feelings on it since you weren't bashing REmake as much as just discussing. (rather than be like OMG U TALKING ABOUT REMAKE BLASPHEMER!!1! also in b4 that) I think both games are equally on par in terms of awesome, because you pointed out a lot of great things about the original. Though REmake was new and shiny and had a lot extra things in it.

But I have a question. When you say "new routes and new rooms" what do you mean exactly? One thing I loved about REmake was their adding in the Lisa Trevor stuff they couldn't in the original, which is where a lot of the tweaks and added things come from. So I guess that's something I'd really welcome (or at least understand why they had to switch a couple of things up to compliment it) in terms of changes from the original.

Comment

Originally posted by Logical Operand View Post
      And Remake re-did the intro scene, where now it is 3 cerberus chasing the team, where in the original, they never really showed the whole face of the mysterious creature, we can only speculate that it was a cerberus, but we don't know for sure.....
      Blame the censored intro for that.
      And if you also played with an uncensored version first... with all due respect... *seriously*?

Comment

Originally posted by JcFFx View Post
        Blame the censored intro for that.
        And if you also played with an uncensored version first... with all due respect... *seriously*?
        Yeah, this I have to agree with. The uncensored intro showed that it was, in fact, a couple of Cerberuses(and the "effects" have not aged well lol). Other than that, its your opinion. I honestly like things about both of them.

I still wish they would have fixed the whole Rebecca and Barry not in the best endings thing.

Comment

will agree with ya on the whole graphics thing since most of the games industry is graphic whore central as of now, remake is a great game it has suspense and atmosphere that's what made it more creepy, and made you feel like you were in the mansion, but i prefer the original it cannot and hasn't been beaten yet by any other resi game in the series, it has everything the corny dialogue, the pixel blood, the old skool zombies it made ya think about having too conserve ammo or not etc etc and that's what makes it a classic too me i prefer it over remake but i still love remake also with the additional extra content that was added but it will never beat jill sandwich, or master of unlocking.

Comment

I didn't like the fact that after you beaten the game you had to deal with Forest running around the mansion and ya couldn't kill him at all!

hated the new areas too, it didn't feel as confined as the original.

but the music was top notch and I do enjoy the graphics and voice acting even though the PSX VA is legendary.

Oh Crimson Heads...seriously?

Comment

Originally posted by Logical Operand View Post
              Having the original game with the graphics redone would have been enough.
              Metal Gear Solid:Twin Snakes did it and it floped.
              sigpic

Comment

I've only played spits and spots of remake it's never really captured me to go on and complete it.
                Is there anyway to make Forest go at you like Director's Cut? where he gets up after you take the bazooka.
                Last edited by kevstah2004; 06-28-2009, 07:08 PM.
                If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

I can agree with you to some degree because after beating Remake the first time, and got over the fact that the graphics were updated, the game didn't feel special. In fact the game collected dust for a while and only played it again before 4 came out. I guess even with the improvements on the game, the story was still basically the same and didn't have much retail value. Funny because I plan on playing RE DS tonight while I'm work and still think the game is great even 10+ years after.

Comment

Originally posted by kevstah2004 View Post
                    I've only played spits and spots of remake it's never really captured me to go on and complete it.
                    Is there anyway to make Forest go at you like Director's Cut? where he gets up after you take the bazooka.
                    In the Remake, if you run past him and grab some green herbs at the end of this pathway, he'll run at you.

Also, once you beat the game once with Chris and Jill, in new games he'll chase you in random rooms throughout the mansion and if you attack him in any way, the grenades he's strapped with blow up and it's game over (he disappears when you go to the garden/guardhouse, though, and never comes back. XD)

Like someone said, they're both equally awesome in their own ways. I did enjoy the different areas in REmake, especially ones with Lisa Trevor (like the cabin, or in her room in the underground area... *shudder*) But I'd say they're pretty even.
                    Last edited by Canas Renvall; 06-28-2009, 09:13 PM.

Comment

I actually love remake. I love everything about it. I consider it a different game than RE1 because they can't be compared.
                      RE1 is like a campy B-movie. The graphics and acting is horrible, but it has an undeniable charm to it. RE1 is the version of the game that will live on in gaming history.
                      REmake is more like the later games. It doesn't have the comical style of RE1. Instead, it has the same mood as RE2 and later games. Its full of drama and despair. Another thing thats different is the scare value. The beautiful animations and gorgeous backgrounds contribute to one of the scariest games ever made. Lightning illuminates the rotten face of the blood thirsty zombie that creeps out from around the corner. I still can't play REmake when I'm by myself, I freak out too much. Its the modern standard for Survival Horror. It fits in with the overall series than RE1.

My main complaint: They didn't model the characters after their Real Life counterparts from RE1.

Comment

Originally posted by Stars1356 View Post
                        I can agree with you to some degree because after beating Remake the first time, and got over the fact that the graphics were updated, the game didn't feel special. In fact the game collected dust for a while and only played it again before 4 came out. I guess even with the improvements on the game, the story was still basically the same and didn't have much retail value. Funny because I plan on playing RE DS tonight while I'm work and still think the game is great even 10+ years after.
                        Probably because you can play it on the go. It happens to me too, don't feel
                        like turning on the system so I pick up my Handheld and find it easier and quick
                        to set it up without moving too much and good for short breaks as well. XD

REmake didn't feel as surprising as it did, because you already played an earlier
                        iteration of the game that's all there is to it. So when it comes down to
                        playing the same game no matter how much improved it is from the original
                        there's not as much excitement as when you played the inferior original one.

It's more of a matter of first-time experience, but now at this point in time
                        I would rather play REmake any time over the original "...but wait! the original
                        is portable now on the DS/PSP so screw the REmake!". XD

No pun intended, despite my preference for the more user-friendly method to
                        play Resident Evil 1. I still would rather play the REmake given the free and
                        right time any day! Heck, I play RE2 on PSP rather than on a console and
                        they are the same games no improvements whatsoever just a matter of
                        easy to pick up and being comfortable.
                        Last edited by Kaneco; 06-28-2009, 09:39 PM.

Comment

I disagree with this soo much.

Maye it's the fact that you probably were new to horror games in 1996 and were desensitized by 2002?

But Remake is probably the most atmospheric game Ive ever played. RE1 has got nothing on it.

I love Remake it's one of my favorite games. I agree what you said about new games being all graphics, and i hate that fact. But Remake is definitely not one of them. Remake is one of the games that managed to do everything perfect not just graphics.

There is still no game that surpassed Remake atmospherically in my opinion.
                          Last edited by missvalentine; 06-28-2009, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by missvalentine View Post
                            But Remake is probably the most atmospheric game Ive ever played. RE1 has got nothing on it.
                            I completely agree. REmake is the only RE game that I find to be somewhat creepy because of the atmosphere. The lightning effects are amazing, especially in the main hall....if you watch a lot of horror movies then you should know that lightning is a must-have for any giant creepy mansion, lol. The addition of the Trevor family story was pretty haunting as well, so I think thats another factor that makes REmake more scarier. Crimson Heads were another new addition....they were very fast, very aggressive, and tougher to kill...I think they definitely contributed to the survival horror aspect of the game.

Comment

The remake is my favorite, and I agree that it's hard to compare it to the original since they're so different. The remake is one of the most atmospheric RE games, and in my opinion, the scariest to date. The remake was one game that truly deserved a tagline like "Fear you can't forget", and actually delivered. From the crimson heads, superb voice acting and beautifully re-designed mansion, to the creepy atmospheres and the brilliant new ideas such as the burning of the bodies, the remake is my favorite of all time hands down. It took everything I loved about the classic and spun it in a new direction, and I think it turned out wonderfully.
                              Last edited by REmaster; 06-29-2009, 02:38 AM.
                              "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                              Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Working...
                              X