Most Overrated Films and Games.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheBlackMamba View Post
    Killzone 2 is horribly overrated, I kept hearing how it's like the greatest shooter ever, no it isn't. The game does little to seperate itself from other shooters gameplay wise, I could care less about the story, no offline multiplayer, cmon, that's suppossed to be a given for shooters.

Then there's the online, I don't care about stupid badges and such, I want more game modes, the variety is too thin and the only one that's fun is bodycount.

Although Halo is also overrated, it's better than KZ2, but Timesplitters is better than them all
    I agree with you here. It may be a technical masterpiece and all. But graphics don't mean much, next year another game will come out and surpass it graphics wise.

But I got bored playing the first level of KZ2, maybe I just didn't give it a chance, but there was nothing that really set it apart from the rest really in KZ2.

Also I agree so much about multiplayer, modes over awards anyday.

Comment

Timesplitters is better than them all
      Best post in this thread. TimeSplitters is amazing. I can't wait for TimeSplitters 4 to come out! If it's anything like Future Perfect... Omg. The level of depth to the multiplayer is crazy. All the different modes, the different guns, and I believe it was 350 or so characters? I still like the Gingerbread Man the best.

"Bite my crunchy brown ass!" XD
      Last edited by Canas Renvall; 07-31-2009, 01:43 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
        I loved playing as the Whale in Future Perfect

"Tonight you sleep with the fishes!"

Comment

• Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
          Best post in this thread. TimeSplitters is amazing. I can't wait for TimeSplitters 4 to come out! If it's anything like Future Perfect... Omg. The level of depth to the multiplayer is crazy. All the different modes, the different guns, and I believe it was 350 or so characters? I still like the Gingerbread Man the best.

thats what I loved about TS all the wacky characters, and in FP Cortex was hilarious "It's time to split!" and then everyone would back away from him lmao

Comment

• "It's time to split!"
            "...o_O Ew."
            "Er... I gotta go. *teleports*"

Comedy genius. XD

Comment

• Plans raid on Syd's house
              The PS2 has been out for a while now. Most of you probably have a few games for the system still lying around the house. Reader Syd doesn't have a few. He has a lot.

I bet Dot's collection is bigger.
              Last edited by kevstah2004; 07-31-2009, 10:59 PM.
              If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

• The Metal Gear Solid series. The storyline just went to hell after MGS1.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rock it. View Post
                  The Metal Gear Solid series. The storyline just went to hell after MGS1.
                  I strongly disagree. And I think MGS1's story is very overrated.

MGS2 and MGS3 have much more interesting story's that MGS1 IMO.

Also I think the Grudge is an overrated film. I saw it, and it was just meh. It was ok, but I didn't really scare me, just confused me a bit. And It was rather boring I thought too.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sinclair View Post
                    Some of your points are valid, and I agree with others. However, some are simply not true.

Technically, Killzone 2 was hyped, and technically, it delivered everything. The game is a technical wonder, with one of the most solid engines on the market right now. The lighting and graphical engines are unsurpassed on any console, and you'd be purposely swimming against the current to say this is not its strongest point. No other console game shows this level of on-screen activity and meticulous detail. The same goes for the online, which runs smoothly from game to game, without hitches or stutters, while holding a graphical milestone in hand. The netcode is fantastically done, and technically, nothing beats Killzone 2 right now in the technical department.

The moving around was different, not bad. It was a more realistic approach than the arcade-influenced Resistance, and the fast paced Modern Warfare. Because it's different than those two, does not mean it's lacking in that department. It's a good choice in sluggish gameplay, because the physics engine gives everything weight and mass. They meant to get this effect, and they succeeded. I understand that it's not your cup of tea, and that this is, indeed, up to opinion of preference. However, the controls work and do exactly what they were meant to do, so it's not a flaw in design. Not to mention, you can now enable precision aim, which will make it feel like CoD just about.

The enemy A.I. has been universally praised as absolutely brilliant. Up the difficulty level a bit and you'll notice why. There is no game on the market right now where the enemies use more intelligence and planning than Killzone 2. Especially on Elite mode, where this just shines brilliantly. The damage a bullet does is not even your biggest problem there. It's the sheer intellect presented by your adversaries. This isn't an opinion, but a fact of coding - Killzone 2's enemy A.I. is rock solid, and brilliant.

The friendly A.I. is mediocre, I will agree with that, which also has been universally agreed on by just about everyone else. The enemy A.I., however, is a coding breakthrough.

The story sucks. Nothing has to be said about that. It had a good background and concept, but it was told like complete ass.

Killzone 2 was technically hyped, and is therefor NOT overrated or overhyped, because it delivered on that front - hands down. People just started expecting a revolutionary shooter, which it is, but only on a technical level; one that not many pay attention to.
                    I absolutely hate it, when all this information...

Originally posted by TheBlackMamba
                    if i want to play a game that does wonders graphically but adds nothing new, well a little new to it's type, I'd go and play RE5
                    ... goes to waste.

You missed every single point presented, TBM, and thats a damn shame.

Sinclair, I cant agree with you on the AI part as I dont think its phenomenal. A couple of mod projects from Crysis and STALKER have altered their respective games AI on a level which I didnt see Killzone 2 surpassing. Everything else though... facts which will be ignored by most gamers...

Comment

• it did not go to waste, I just pointed out one thing I'm not gonna write a damn essay on this board.

All the thing he's said didn't make KZ2 to me what eveyone asshead has been making it out to be, the suppossed second coming for shooting games.

Sluggish feel while good for this game, is not anything I truly care about. If I can get around a level, I'm fine with that.

As for the AI, I don't see how that has anything to do with me stating that the game is overrated, I still think the online is crap and very hollow. AI isn't a real technical achievement seeing as how Goldeneye Rogue Agent tried to implement smart AIs but the game itself was horrible.

it seem that you MoS and Sinclair have failed to understand the points I made, while I talk about online and the actual effective gameplay ie jump, shoot, etc. you give me a whole speech that digresses from what I've presented talking about technical issues I've never mentioned.

And MoS, facts will be ignored by gamers? And what exactly are those facts suppossed to do for me, make me appreciate the game more? Cus for me to appreciate a game it has to be fun, KZ2 is generic in it's gameplay similar to CoD games and as I said before has done NOTHING new gameplay wise to make it what people say it is. I'd rather play a game that doesn't have such detail to it's techinical aspect ie TS but focuses on more in-game meat.

it's the old, all flash no substance, and that's what KZ2 is to me so read this before you get on your high horse MoS

Comment

it did not go to waste, I just pointed out one thing I'm not gonna write a damn essay on this board.
                        And yet you did, and ignored the most important point Sinclair made, for the second time.

You dont have to like the game to appreciate what it has achieved. You dont have to like pretty graphics, great enemy AI nor online multiplayer. You dont have to like any of it. But if you call a game "overrated" or "overhyped" just based on your emotions, you are on the wrong on this argument, and you are.

Sinclairs point was simple- even though not everyone loved the game, the technical excellence the game achieved cannot be ignored, and it delivered on all fronts it promised to deliver, hence the game cannot and should not be called "overhyped" or "overrated".

Were talking facts here. Youre talking emotions.

I hope you understood the message.

All youve said is "I think..." "I dont care..." "I dont like..." "... so this game is overrated". Can you see the flaw here?

Comment

• facts? the very idea of something being overhyped and underrated comes from personal opinion where do you get off acting like you know everything.

this game was overhyped, when pple keep talking highly of something and then you try it out and it disappoints or doesn't live up to said greatness, it's overhyped. It makes me wonder do you think before you post or do you just write whatever crap comes out to make you sound "intelligent"

What I'm saying is something that you can't seem to comprehend, before this game came out people were saying how it was going to be revolutionary NOT just for the technical points but for the suppossed gameplay now are you seeing the flaws?

I know this will be a waste of a post cus you'll "oohh the facts!" well this isn't all facts, and yes this is personal opinion, there is no right or wrong to this. Like I said before, something being overhyped or underrated is a matter of what? PERSONAL OPINION

Comment

facts? the very idea of something being overhyped and underrated comes from personal opinion where do you get off acting like you know everything.
                            Im wondering where do you get off acting like your "opinion" is more important than cold-hard technical achievements that can be measured and weighted?

Something is overhyped or overrated when something is promoted to be more than it really is.

this game was overhyped, when pple keep talking highly of something and then you try it out and it disappoints or doesn't live up to said greatness, it's overhyped. It makes me wonder do you think before you post or do you just write whatever crap comes out to make you sound "intelligent"
                            I dont have to work hard to seem more intelligent than you. Seriously, youre throwing a hissy fit without even realizing that youre constantly missing the obvious idea here. Its "your personal opinion" (which accounts for jack on the internet) vs backed up arguments. Guess which one holds more weight? Someone with an objective mind sees that.

Anyway, lets see...

You dont care for shiny graphics, yet the number one PR act for KZ2 was its superb graphics. So it was overhyped *for you*, and not overhyped *as a fact*.

Basically, while the whole world sees that in terms of graphics, this game has achieved its goal, youre shrugging it off just so you could agree with yourself in believing that the game is "overrated". Thumbs up!

Sluggish feel while good for this game, is not anything I truly care about. If I can get around a level, I'm fine with that.
                            Lets ignore stuff we cant argue against some more.
                            As for the AI, I don't see how that has anything to do with me stating that the game is overrated, I still think the online is crap and very hollow.
                            How can you fit "online" and "AI" even in the same sentence? AI *IS* the singleplayer experience, and if it delivers, it cant be ignored. Which you are doing.

it seem that you MoS and Sinclair have failed to understand the points I made, while I talk about online and the actual effective gameplay ie jump, shoot, etc. you give me a whole speech that digresses from what I've presented talking about technical issues I've never mentioned.
                            I dont care if you mentioned technical aspects of the game or not. And you like to ignore peoples arguments just so you wouldnt feel like an idiot for not having a clue how much work and effort it takes to create something like KZ2.

"Ooh, I dont like its online function so Im going to say its overhyped!"

it's the old, all flash no substance, and that's what KZ2 is to me so read this before you get on your high horse MoS
                            You claimed the game was overhyped because *YOU* felt letdown by it and when you were presented arguments and facts that showed you that KZ2 delivered in the fronts it promised to deliver, you shrug it off as if your opinion is worth more. Remember- "overhyped" = excessively promoted.

So were left to think whether or not the game delivered in the categories it claimed itsself to succeed in. And KZ2. You didnt like it? Fair enough, thats your own opinion youre entitled to. Did I like it? Who cares. So did KZ2 deliver in gameplay and graphics? It did. Flash over substance? That was KZ2-s sellingpoint.

What I'm saying is something that you can't seem to comprehend, before this game came out people were saying how it was going to be revolutionary NOT just for the technical points but for the suppossed gameplay now are you seeing the flaws?
                            If you want to be specific about it, KZ2 did revolutionize the whole "cover" function, and is one of the few games that effectively tied realism with arcade-like gameplay. But gameplay was the least of "what the people were saying" the game will succeed in. Every argument until the game launched, was about graphics.
                            Last edited by Member_of_STARS; 08-01-2009, 09:15 AM.

Comment

• I have a subscription to GameInformer and trust me, they hyped the game for more than it's graphics

For the AI thing, you have follow this from the beginning, I talked only about online and Sinclaire mentioned AI so if you want to say that, say it to the person who started that whole part

And the online was highly praised or have you not read reviews for the game? The online is horribly lacking and very generic, thus the overhype there

This debate will never end cus neither of us can look at each other's sides clearly
                              Last edited by TheBlackMamba; 08-01-2009, 09:32 AM.

Comment

I have a subscription to GameInformer and trust me, they hyped the game for more than it's graphics
                                GameInformer? Subscription? Do you hate your money?

For the AI thing, you have follow this from the beginning, I talked only about online and Sinclaire mentioned AI so if you want to say that, say it to the person who started that whole part
                                Sinclair brought in AI and I said that the AI makes the single player work. You shrugged it off because it wasnt heloping your argument.

And the online was highly praised or have you not read reviews for the game? The online is horribly lacking and very generic, thus the overhype there
                                Again. It doesnt have to be innovating or turning the whole multiplayer aspect upside down. It has to provide a fun platform for some multiplayer action and be reliable and long-living at the same time.

An example would be COD4. COD4 is probably one of the most generic multiplayer games Ive ever played. Yet I praise it for a lot of reasons and would say that its definitely in the TOP5 multiplayer FPS games of all time. Game-Monitor server statistics, Xfire play-time statistics, competitive gaming and the ammount of servers online all agree with me.

COD4 is way more generic than KZ2 in regards to multiplayer, from my limited experience.

Comment

Working...
                                X