Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1.5 Map Confusion

Haven't been here in a while, good to see it's still lively

So I was remaking the map for 1.5 and I've sort of hit a problem. There is a room on the map that apparently is a corridor in-game.

See... (it's big, so warning to 56k-ers)
    [Picture]

Does anyone have any idea? for 1, I can't see room for that corridor to even fit. At first I thought it was the top-left part, but I don't think so because that would just be an endless loop? and the fact there is no left turn at the end. So am I missing something here? Wrong build vs wrong map? faulty room/door data?

Nice map. Maybe Alzaire could help you? PM him

Comment

Sure thanks for the suggestion! most appreciated.

Comment

It's a simple issue with a simple answer. Your pictures #4 and #5 are in the basement, not the 1st floor. The room you have marked with a ? on the map (the room Leon would enter after going in the door in picture #3) is speculated, and highly probable, to be a stairwell that descends into the basement (as well as possibly the upper floors).

Considering the build of the game in the video used in this case is an earlier build than the more complete later beta, I'd say the reason this happens in the video is either because the stairwell is not finished/there and the game is temporarily coded to skip straight to the basement at that door (noting that the basement area was one of the earliest areas worked on and hence likely more complete than the upper floors), or the video is very cleanly edited to skip out the stairwell. I personally believe it's the former. I would guess this version of the beta is probably the build used as a playable demo that was reviewed by some journalists and at least one private exhibition in Japan for journalists (a magazine confirms this). Hence why I'd guess it is temporarily coded to skip to the basement, as I'd imagine they'd rather the journalists see more complete areas and not rooms that are highly untextured or not even made yet.
        sigpic

Comment

I see... That makes sense. Something else though, the door next to the stairwell, do you know what that is? if it's an elevator, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a stairwell... also, from whatever I can see through that door/space, it looks like stairs going down (by the look of the wall, it sort of slopes down). Unless it's an elevator that goes to B1, F1, and F2, and the stairwell is for emergency purposes...

Thanks for the information.
          Last edited by Linzuki; 07-24-2009, 04:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Linzuki View Post
            I see... That makes sense. Something else though, the door next to the stairwell, do you know what that is? if it's an elevator, wouldn't that defeat the purpose of a stairwell... also, from whatever I can see through that door/space, it looks like stairs going down (by the look of the wall, it sort of slopes down). Unless it's an elevator that goes to B1, F1, and F2, and the stairwell is for emergency purposes...

Thanks for the information.
            Well the original RPD was based on a modern police station...so yeah the emergency stairwell would be next to the elevator. Even if it located there doesn't mean it's working right away...

Click image for larger version

Name:	color2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	398749

Comment

Yeah, it's an elevator. It does seem like it would make the stairwell useless, but it all depends on when the elevator becomes usable and what stairwell doors are locked in the beginning. I imagine the elevator probably just eventually becomes a shortcut.
              sigpic

Comment

Ok so, the 1st floor is almost completely mapped out by another member, "BlackCrow". This is helpful. Thanks much Harry, Those images are much clearer and help me a lot .

So the 2nd floor is impossible to map out and we have next to nothing on the basement. Does anyone have a basic layout of the basement at all? It would take a lot of thinking, but I think it's possible to make a layout. It might not be exact but we can assume some things. The Car Park likely would come out onto the main road (out front/back of the police station), and thinking about Re2 there are only so many rooms needed. Basement Hallway(s), Power Room, Storage/Weapon Room, Morg, Car Park, Prison Cells, and the Dog kennels. One thing I do find weird though is that the car park is so far away from the main building, officers would have to bolt it to the basement and car park. Perhaps that is one of the purposes of the elevator.

I'll make up some pieces and see what I can do. Thanks for the help guys, I really appreciate the help. Sorry If I'm asking too much of you, just say ;p.

Comment

I always thought the outside car park in the final version was pretty wierd, I mean what's the point? when all the cars are in the car park anyway and there's a brick wall in the way so there's nowhere for them to go, I guess the security guards are just too lazy to walk down.
                  If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

There's a lot more to the basement than it seems. It's actually fairly large with quite a number of rooms.

At least 3 main hallways and 2 or 3 shorter halls.
                    1 or 2 Stairwell Rooms (this depends on speculation and map layout)
                    Morgue
                    Power Room
                    Armory
                    Firing Range
                    Holding Cells
                    Garage
                    Garage Vehicle Service
                    Kennel
                    Forensics Lab

That's just the known rooms of the basement.

The basement is actually pretty easy to speculatively map out to some degree, but no matter which variant I have come up with there are a few details that still seem incorrect or just out of place. The main issue being that the 1st floor of the RPD is pretty compact (assuming the one legit map is the entirety of the first floor, and as of now there's no reason to believe otherwise), but the basement nearly twice as large and except in 1 variation I've come up, either there's a 2nd basement level or half of the area would be well expanded underneath an unrelated building or the streets (which I know isn't impossible) and just feels out of place with the rest of the RPD design.

The upper floors of the RPD are pretty much impossible to map with available material. Not enough rooms and areas are seen to make anything fit together, not to mention that there's still no reliable confirmation of whether the RPD is 2 or 3 floors high (3 high is my working guess). Black Crow's maps on the RPD and sewers are highly inaccurate and outdated as well.
                    sigpic

Comment

More rooms than RE2 it seems... Do you have pictures of all the basement rooms in RE1.5? the fact that it's 2x bigger than the 1st floor might be a reason as to why RE2 is missing some of those rooms. Though the 1.5 station seems a bit smaller than #2. Or maybe there are 2 buildings... [See]

Are the 1st and B1 floors of RE2 the same size? I guess it's possible that the 1st floor of 1.5 is bigger than we think. Just brick and concrete, or divided into another building. It also looks like the elevator has 5 buttons on the side of the wall... either that or it's just seriously pixelated. Do you have a "most accurate" prediction of your B1 map? or could I see some layouts/images. I understand if it's personal work though

The car park is weird yeah, it's probably that they didn't expect you to look for these kind've things. Or they worked on modeling the place so much they just went numb and didn't think about it. I get like that >_>;

By the way, images are most appreciated I'm making a 3d map, so getting accurate textures is always good.

Edit: [See]

You guy's have probably gone over this already so sorry if I'm digging through old stuff...

Edit 2: There must be more than 1 building surely. Why would a police station have a parking lot for cargo trucks, and loading and unloading platforms?
                      Last edited by Linzuki; 07-24-2009, 08:36 PM.

Comment

huh. that police station looks bloodier and darker than i remembered seeing.
                        Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

I changed the brightness levels on the images I posted, maybe thats why?

Comment

Originally posted by Linzuki View Post
                            More rooms than RE2 it seems... Do you have pictures of all the basement rooms in RE1.5? the fact that it's 2x bigger than the 1st floor might be a reason as to why RE2 is missing some of those rooms. Though the 1.5 station seems a bit smaller than #2. Or maybe there are 2 buildings... [See]

Are the 1st and B1 floors of RE2 the same size? I guess it's possible that the 1st floor of 1.5 is bigger than we think. Just brick and concrete, or divided into another building. It also looks like the elevator has 5 buttons on the side of the wall... either that or it's just seriously pixelated. Do you have a "most accurate" prediction of your B1 map? or could I see some layouts/images. I understand if it's personal work though

The car park is weird yeah, it's probably that they didn't expect you to look for these kind've things. Or they worked on modeling the place so much they just went numb and didn't think about it. I get like that >_>;

By the way, images are most appreciated I'm making a 3d map, so getting accurate textures is always good.

Edit: [See]

You guy's have probably gone over this already so sorry if I'm digging through old stuff...

Edit 2: There must be more than 1 building surely. Why would a police station have a parking lot for cargo trucks, and loading and unloading platforms?
                            Those loading platforms are part of the street, medical factory, and warehouse area which black crow got picture perfect.

as for the basement, 2nd floor, and sewer section. The scraps that fit together are few, with some complete rooms. Some areas even seem to line up with other floors but as Alzaire already said there are many possible combinations so until some new info comes out that makes some real connections it's all speculation
                            Last edited by Harry Mason; 07-24-2009, 11:10 PM.

Comment

As Harry pointed out, those last 2 images you posted are not the RPD at all. That's the Umbrella Factory area, which is where you end up after the sewers. That area -is- 99% accurately mapped with Black Crow's maps. This is because the complete background images for those areas are available, found leftover on the RE2 trial disc. We have the areas past the sewers mapped out nearly 100% accurate.

The RPD building is almost for sure 1 building, I have no reason to believe otherwise. In retail RE2, the RPD is less compact and wider, with the basement pretty much right underneath it fitting fine.

There is enough evidence to support that the map of the 1st floor is a real indication of the boundaries of the building. I don't think it's any larger. I'm pretty sure it simply has a 3rd floor to encompass the amount of rooms it has.

I will draw up some rough map layouts overlayed on the actual 1st floor map for comparison. I'm doing these quickly, so they aren't exactly to full scale of size (halls, rooms, ect). Just to give an idea of what you're looking at.

This was the first speculated layout of the Basement 1st Floor. This design works in general for what is there, but there's quite a number of basement areas missing, as indicated. (though leaving plenty of rooms for a possible 2nd basement level, though I'm not so believing of a 2nd basement level at this time)

The above design also allows for an issue to be "fixed" regarding the east side of the building, as indicated below:

It would also work in favor with the fact the burning police van struck the wall near the ramp exit, assuming the idea to work out.

Next up is a rough mapping I had previously made of RPD Basement that changes the location of the Parking Garage and seems to allow pretty much every known area of the Basement within a reasonable boundary compared to the foundation of the 1st floor. This one is also not to exact scale, and I have not yet done more intensive investigation into room scale to ensure that the areas can fit together like this.

This idea of the garage existing and exiting out of the rear/north side of the RPD stems from a concept image of the RPD that seems to fit more along the lines of the 1.5 police station as opposed to retail.

Edit: In the 2nd speculatory map, I refer to some areas as UMB 023 and 024. These are in reference to the names of a set of images I was using to work on the map that me and a friend share while trying to figure out the maps.

Also Harry, that Black Crow map is extremely difficult to understand (at least in the max size it shows up). Really bad design on Black Crow's part to try and put all the background images squished into those areas like that (not to mention he has them rotated and turned around in various places to match the internal layout, but that is just confusing for a regular person). Does he not still have the old version on his site? I know some people hated the way he had all those arrows pointing to stuff and it was a little bit confusing, but at least the map was clear and it wasn't too hard to figure out with the pointers.
                              Last edited by Alzaire; 07-24-2009, 09:58 PM.
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X