Follow up to Dead Rising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Follow up to Dead Rising

Since the youtube video is really low quality I decided to give our new codec a test drive with the public. You'll need to install a decoder for it though, and a great one is FFDSHOW. Only certain versions of it support X264 though, so I've mirrored it here on THIA.

Once you have it downloaded, go through the install and when you reach the video decoder area, select the X264 option. You dont need to select any others but its up to you really.

Theres just one more application you need to install. You should probably already have this on your PC, but its a good idea to get the latest version for compadibility. Pick up Media Player Classic. Note that Media Player Classic is NOT the same thing as Windows Media Player. Quicktime might also try to open the file but it wont display video as its decoder doesnt support X264. Use Media Player Classic to open the video.

[SIZE="4"]SAVE TARGET AS![/SIZE]

[SIZE="4"]VLC Player plays the file stock as well without FFDSHOW.[/SIZE]
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 08-06-2006, 05:50 PM.

Id really appreciate it if you guys could give feedback on this. This will be what Im using in all future videos. Ill be changing the entire back catalog of stuff to this too. So please let me know what you think. We wont be using divx anymore.

Also, Ice made a new skin. Its still in development but if you go to your options page in your usercp, you can set it to TEST STYLE. Let us know what you think of it as well!
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 08-05-2006, 09:36 PM.

Comment

I'm donwloading it now, will give my impressions then. The new skin, however doesn't appeal to me at all (at least, notin comparison to the default one). The new "TEST STYLE" is too bright and doesn't really match the site, but that's just my opinion.

Now, for the codec, just watched the video and I've gotta ask, how big would the file be if it was DivXed? It seems to be pretty goopd quality! =)

Comment

For comparison sake, the divx file at HALF the bitrate would be 100MB and it would have looked a lot worse

Comment

Die new codec system.

Comment

Dot, in that case the codec is excellent (though I think that the downloading of a new program or installation of those extra codecs might shy some newer less tech-literate members away).

Comment

Well thats fine with me, Divx was new back when we first started using it. All these people have to do is get VLC Media Player and it runs so if they are too lazy to do that then screw em.

Comment

Yeah, I agree with you =P

Comment

Hey its fantastic, I dled VLC player and I have to say its very, very nice. if you do all the vids on THIA this way it will rock.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback

Comment

can you kill zombies with burgers?

Comment

So you have a heads up, the test style is not for THIA It's for something else we're working on, heh.

Comment

Working...
                        X