A nice in depth look at the final retail PS3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A nice in depth look at the final retail PS3

IGN’s home for the latest game trailers, including new gameplay, cinematics, announcements, and reveals. Subscribe to stay up to date and get notified when new trailers arrive, that includes during events like Nintendo Directs, Sony State of Plays, E3, The Game Awards, Gamescom, and more. Check out our playlists for trailers coming to your preferred gaming platforms like PC, Nintendo Switch, PS4, PS5, Xbox One, and Xbox Series X. For more content, visit IGN.com or check out our other channels: IGN - https://www.youtube.com/IGN IGN Games - https://www.youtube.com/IGNGames IGN Guides - https://www.youtube.com/c/IGNGuides IGN VR - https://www.youtube.com/IGNVR IGN Movie Trailers - https://www.youtube.com/IGNMovieTrailers This is only a small taste of the videos and content available from IGN. Get more, visit http://www.ign.com

Really cool stuff, confirmation that you can turn it on much like the 360 by just hitting the PS3 logo in the controller's center. And jeeze, i didnt notice but they have pressure sensitive R2 and L2. Really nice!

I can't justify paying $999.95 Australian Dollars for this. =/

But good video, none the less.

Comment

$1000?! man, are you guys getting screwed or what? That's about $850 CDN (and the console's 60GB version is going for $660). Alas, I have no use for the extra functionality of the 60GB version, so I've opted for the 20GB version. I'm getting a 200GB 2.5" HDD soon, so if the need persists, I can just swap it.

I'm looking at $550, which is only $50 more than the premium 360 here. Though with possible delays of key software (my key software), I think I'll be holding out until spring. Otherwise, I'll be stuck upscaling old games to HD resolutions only :p

Comment

I can't really afford $3,000 reais on this. =)
        Wii will probably be $1550 reais.

Comment

I can't justify paying $999.95 Australian Dollars for this. =/
          Hot damn, that's a lot of money to waste on a video game console that will be 200$ USD a year after it's released.

With the Nintendo Wii ( the name...... ) yet to even have its specs released, I guess it's time to start playing Monopoly again.

Imagine the pricing of the video game consoles that will be coming out 5 years from now; one would have to get a mortage or loan from a bank just to buy the SOB.

Excellent video though, John, thanks.
          I'm a blackstar.

Comment

$200 in a year? I wish... Though I suspect a dirty trick is in the works. Get the most money out of the early adopters, and then shave off a $100-$150 within the first year. We'll see how it goes with the BD trojan horse. Just amazes me how the PS3 pricing actually made $400 USD seem "reasonable", for something with a proprietery 20GB HDD with 7GB already filled.

Btw, Wii specs have been unofficially unveiled at Beyond3D. It is, more or less, a souped up GC, that's a little more powerful than the Xbox1 (without DD audio capability).

Comment

Do you honestly think youll be getting the full space of 60gb on the PS3 though? Id guarantee a few gigs will be missing, I think my 40 gig PS2 HDD amounted to 33 or 34 gigs anyway, without FFXI installed. Plus, you know Sony will have their little "linux" swap space and all that, so really, no different then MS in that case. And no, the Wii specs havent officially been revealed. It would be announced on the private Nintendo press site, which it hasnt been. Heres the whats new on the private Press site

Date

Details
              08/28/06

News: At 2 Million Strong, Nintendo's Wireless Gaming Community Grows Larger than 15 U.S. States
              08/26/06

Press Kits: Penny Arcade Expo
              08/24/06

News: Nintendo Launches New DS Lite Colors Amid Strong Game Sales
              08/24/06

Systems: Onyx and Coral Pink Nintendo DS Lite Photos
              08/23/06

Press Kit: Games Convention 2006 - Leipzig, Germany
              08/22/06

Games: Updated Game Info for Star Fox® Command
              08/21/06

News: Nintendo Reveals its Dark Secret
              08/21/06

News: Did You Know? Nintendo Offers Bonus Item for Fans Pre-Ordering Pokémon Mystery Dungeon

Comment

Originally posted by Borman
                Do you honestly think youll be getting the full space of 60gb on the PSe.3 though?
                Obviously not, since Linux is pre-installed. Since it uses an industry standard 2.5" HDD, I can swap it with my new 200GB laptop HDD that I'll be getting soon. Though realistically speaking, I'm not sure if I'll even use 20GB.

the Wii specs havent officially been revealed. It would be announced on the private Nintendo press site, which it hasnt been.
                I didn't say they were officially announced, did I? The unofficial leaks, which have been reliable from the past from sources close to developers, tell the tale of a very modest system spec-wise. Something that Nintendo isn't hiding exactly, since they're not looking to stand out with specs.

It's still a more powerful hardware than the Xbox, but nowhere near the 360 and PS3. Nintendo went as far saying that they may never reveal the specs officially to the public.
                Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 08-30-2006, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Sorry, missread it, but yea, just wait on the whole specs. Nintendo will say what they will say eventually heh.

On the harddrive thing, you are assuming that Sony doesnt do a firmware lockout, which is a high probability. The PS2 uses a standard harddrive as well, as does the Xbox, as does the Xbox 360 (though obviously in a little box), but they usually lock you out through software at the least.

Comment

Hmm, I'm going by Hirai's and Harrison redundant mentioning that the HDD is industry standard and it's "swappable". I'm not sure if it was mentioned in the official E3 publisher FAQ that was leaked about a month ago. I'll check it over.

Comment

The Xbox 360 HDD is swappable too, as is the PS2, with another harddrive of similar calibur heh. Please do check up on that though if you get a chance, I just cant see Sony willing to lose money that easily.

Comment

Yeah, I know of quite a few people who used standard HDD's with their PS2's. Very few software has algorithm to sabotage the install. I checked over the FAQ, and yup, it seems that swapping is "officially" possible:

Q24. Is 60GB HDD large enough for PS3 ?

A24. 60GB is 3 times the capacity of Xbox360 and at the moment we consider it enough to save online game data as well as to transfer various data from other PCs and CE/AV products. If there is need in the future, it is also possible to upgrade storage capacity by exchanging HDD to Serial-ATA 2.5" HDD available on the market.

Comment

I have no faith on the ps3...

Comment

I wouldnt rely on Gamefaqs, Wiki, or anything of that sort for unreleased things. It still doesnt specifically say that you can use an off the shelf HDD, it just says that it can be changed. Of course you can use standard HDDs now, but not with official Sony software ;)

Comment

Like I said, this was off a long document given to publishers at E3 by SCEA and the wording is clear.

it is also possible to upgrade storage capacity by exchanging HDD to Serial-ATA 2.5" HDD available on the market.
                              It didn't come from random sources, but the same insiders that have been reliable in the past. A direct answer if the HDD was proprietery (loose term, yes) would've been "we'll consider releasing a larger HDD in the future".

Anyway, I've said all there is to this. You're free to take it with a grain of salt; the system is out soon enough anyway.
                              Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 08-31-2006, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X