No announcement yet.

Ok, someone explain to me Silent Hill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got Mine for 7 bucks with case and manual, not trying to brag or anything 20 bucks is a great price for it XD I also still have My Resident Evil for Saturn I got in 97 lost the case and all though :/

Comment

Don't have the case or manuel. Just got the disc.

Comment

From what I heard, Silent Hill has a lot of refereances to Jacob's Ladder.

Comment

Originally posted by Grace Saunders View Post
          From what I heard, Silent Hill has a lot of refereances to Jacob's Ladder.
          Indeed it does. Jacob's Ladder is without a doubt one of the main insperations for the "alternative" world of Silent Hill. The film is worth a look, especially if you are a Silent Hill fan. The ending is a great twist too.

Another thing to check out would be the book Phantoms. It influenced the look of the foggy world of Silent Hill. You could check out the film too, but i'd go with the book.

Comment

The film for Phantoms...not so great.

Jacob's Ladder is much, much better. There are a number of scenes that are, almost, lifted straight from that movie and into Silent Hill.

But Silent Hill got inspiration from all over...hell, the street names are a number of infamous horror writters. And there's probably a fair ammount of Japanese stuff in there that we Westerners miss the relevance of.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
              And there's probably a fair ammount of Japanese stuff in there that we Westerners miss the relevance of.
              Truth, for example, the toilets. Ever noticed how toilets play a big part in Silent Hill? The first Silent Hill, you find the shotgun and the corpse in the toilet, and it is also important in getting between floors. Both the second and third games begin in the toilet, and the forth has the hole in the bathroom as well as that weird copy of Cynthia in the toilet. Well, that is all to do with a horror story from Japan about children who went missing, falling into the toilet, as Japan had those outhouse toilets until only very recently I believe . Apparantly it is a well known story for people in Japan so toilets are almost symbolic of horror there, something we would miss completly.

Comment

Wow thats really interesting, I never knew that,Japan has some really interesting stuff exspecially in Their games XD I love Silent Hill..
                Last edited by Hunk_4TH; 09-27-2006, 02:14 PM.

Comment

You watch anime, watch Asian movies, you sometimes pick up on stuff like this. I honestly had no idea of the significance of toilets though.

I wonder why Res Evil has so few then...because it's not as scary?

ZING!

Comment

I'm a huge anime fan XD I always woundered there were always one bathroom in the Mansion in Biohazard and not one bathroom in Biohazard 2

Comment

Or why there was one bathroom in the whole of Shadow Moses (Metal Gear Solid 1) and Big Shell (Metal Gear Solid 2)? MADNESS!!!!

Also, isn't the Kyodan story from Silent Hill 4 (the soundtrack at least) based on Japanese folk lore or something?

Also, just a little piece of information I though was interesting, despite the religous undertones, Team Silent are not religous people.

Comment

No, but they do spend large ammounts of there budget on assorted illegal substances which give them inspiration for Silent Hill.

Kyodan Story? You've lost me...I haven't been that big into Silent Hill for a while, though.

And I could swear there was one bathroom, and only one, in RE2. But I could be wrong.

Comment

There was a toilet in the thing you ride down into the Umbrella labs...elevator platform thing...well there was a toilet on that.

And the Kyodan story was on the second disc of the Silent Hill 4 soundtrack, it is related to the story of Silent Hill 4 if I remember correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by randomwab View Post
                            Truth, for example, the toilets. Ever noticed how toilets play a big part in Silent Hill? The first Silent Hill, you find the shotgun and the corpse in the toilet, and it is also important in getting between floors. Both the second and third games begin in the toilet, and the forth has the hole in the bathroom as well as that weird copy of Cynthia in the toilet. Well, that is all to do with a horror story from Japan about children who went missing, falling into the toilet, as Japan had those outhouse toilets until only very recently I believe . Apparantly it is a well known story for people in Japan so toilets are almost symbolic of horror there, something we would miss completly.
                            Very interesting fact that randomwab

Silent Hill is an absolute must own series of games if your a horror game fan, its right up there with Resident Evil. Different style though...
                            Project Zero(Fatal Frame) is pretty good too.

Comment

So is Forbidden Siren, or just Siren, by some of the folks that make Silent Hill. Unbeatable enemies that return after 'death' every 30 seconds makes for a nerve wracking experience. Of course, of those four games I find Resident Evil, especially the newest ones, the least scary...

Comment

Completely agree on that one, i love Forbidden Siren. A lot of ppl hate it though because it has a pretty high difficulty level. I think thats one of its strong points myself.
                                Its genuinely scary too.

Comment

Working...
                                X