Spider-Man 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spider-Man 4

After the disappointment that was Spider-Man 3, one of the most successful movie franchises of all-time needs to come back big-time with Spider-Man 4. The film has not started off well, after having an original start date of January 2010 and being pushed back indefinitely thanks to issues with the script(http://geektyrant.com/news/2010/1/8/...-producti.html). Sam Raimi, Tobey Maguire and Kirsten Dunst have all signed on to return to their jobs.

One other thing has been semi-confirmed, though, and seems almost certain...

John Malkovich as The Vulture.

Spider-Man 3's huge problem was that it did too much. It tried cramming 3 villains into 2 and 1/2 hours and it just...failed. In my opinion, the whole 'New Goblin' thing with Harry was retarded, and his whole amnesia episode really put a damper on the movie as a whole. Factor in the hapless Sandman and my favorite comic book character of all time, Venom, butchered by Topher *****, watered down and squeezed into the last 45 minutes of the film, and you have a recipe for disaster.

Having said this, I'm excited about Malkovich as The Vulture because he is a really good actor, although Vulture is really not one of my favorite Spider-Man enemies. I can't even say I'd put him in the top 5. I'd rather see characters such as Carnage(since the symbiote was introduced in Spider-Man 3), Electro, Mysterio, Scorpion, Shocker, Hobgoblin, and even Kraven the Hunter over The Vulture.

Also...what the hell is gonna happen with Dylan Baker as Dr. Connors? When is The Lizard gonna be unleashed? I feel like this has been brewing since Spider-Man 2. Maybe Spider-Man 4 will go the way of multiple enemies again...if they do, hopefully it's pulled off MUCH better than what happened in Spider-Man 3.

Now, what about Pete and Mary Jane? Last we saw, they weren't on the best of terms. Spider-Man 3 ended with them embracing in MJ's cafe where she waited tables and sang songs...just days after Pete slapped her across the face in the same setting, and then saved her life from Venom and Sandman. Whoa. Where could they take the love story now?

I also feel like a new character needs to be introduced, with the absence of Harry Osborn after his death. Maybe Bryce Dallas Howard could return as Gwen Stacey and be a tempting influence in Pete's life. Or, perhaps, they could go in the direction of adding in Black Cat as that influence. I always liked Spidey's interactions with the Cat. Sexual tension and flirtation mixed with fistfighting and thievery? Count me in.

The worst rumor thus far is that Anne Hathaway will play as Felicia Hardy and...no, not Black Cat...but 'Vulturess.' WTF? No, just...no. This is probably why the film's been delayed due to script issues, thanks to stupid fucking shit ideas like this.

Anyway, what villains do you guys wanna see? Or do you not wanna see a Spider-Man 4 at all?
    Last edited by Vector; 01-10-2010, 04:42 PM.

^ If the 4 goes in the same direction as 3, I'm pretty much out. Sure, it's mindless, fun entertainment, but the first 2 had much more depth than 3. So, hopefully, 4 will too.

Comment

Agreed. The first two were fantastic movies, and 3 was alright as well, up until emo Peter Parker started dancing in the streets...and until they fuckin' terribly mishandled Eddie Brock/Venom in every way, shape and form...but hey, that's just my opinion. I preferred the comic books' body-building Eddie Brock to the movies' pussy-assed That 70's Show version, and the comic books' Venom who wanted to fucking kill everyone and everything in his way to Spider-Man as opposed to the movie's version who had around 12 minutes of screen-time. But that's just me.

Comment

I would like to see Venom make a return and be badder than before. The Lizard looks pretty bad too. It would be cool to see it be a ffa and everyone attack everyone. However, if Spider Man 4 is no better than any of the other three than I don't really wanna see it at all. Truth be told, if they're going to use a lesser known villain such as the vulture, that doesn't really sound like it will be all that great.

Comment

^ Yeah, @CR29, I agree.

Anyone else think Carnage is gonna be in 4? I mean, IIRC, not all of the alien Symbiote was destroyed in 3 (amirite? I so need to rewatch this, it's been about a year, ).
          Last edited by Ray; 01-10-2010, 04:54 PM.

Comment

I've always prefered Carnage over Venom (I mean Carnage is a serial killer and Venom is just a pissed off camera guy). I'd love to see Carnage in 4. I couldnt stand the 3rd movie it was just a cry fest which gave me a headache.

Comment

The Spiderman 3 handled the whole Symbiot plot terribly. Peter from being a darker and more brutal version of himself was instead turned into a emo-playboy-weirdo (really, what have they thinking :0), and then Venom - one of the greatest enemies in the series - had very little screen time and died rather quickly and in very disappointing way :/.

And as you've said, CR29, they've tried to put too many new things (villains and plots) in one movie for it to worked well. Hope they've learned the lesson (who am I lying, SM3 was huge hit).

Comment

I think they should have gone with the vulture and lizard in 3 and could have gone with the whole neo-genetics storyline. Yes Venom was a wasted character but maybe he will get his own spin-off that can have him dealing with carnage with an appear by spiderman. Finally I thought that Ben Kingsley should play the Vulture.

http://www.imdb.com/media/rm1770822912/nm0001426
                Last edited by Stars1356; 01-11-2010, 12:28 AM.

Comment

Spiderman 3 is a true representation of how superhero team movies should be made. I saw more teamwork and comraderie in S3 than I saw in all of the Xmen movies, and I found it very, very satisfying to watch. Of course, I was never reading the comics so I dont know how much the movie disappointed the fans.

Comment

the lizard, mysterio or electro will do

Comment

Malkovic is far from certain. Raimie (sp) wants him, the studio wants otherwise.

Not bothered about this, Thor is the only superhero movie next year i'm excited for right now.

Comment

The studio heads should just give what Raimie would like to do, or he's going to purposely sure to fuck up a few things like he did with the symbiot plot in 3 (He didn't want it in the film one bit, and you see the results in the quality he did compared to the other two). I want my Lizard =(

Comment

My opinion, I hate all the movies, poorly cast from the get go with exceptions to Willem Defoe and Alfred Molina as Green Goblin and Doctor Octopus, Tobey Maguire is woefully miscast as Peter Parker, always comes off as deadpan comes and is even worse as Spiderman, Kristen Dunst is pretty much Gollem with Red Hair, and its a crime Bruce Campbell isn't in the movies more as frankly his scenes are the only redeeming qualities of the films.

It doesn't look, or seem like the Spiderman I've been reading in comics since I was 4-5, the movies to me seem as bastardised as Singer's X-Men movies *Yes, I hate 1 and 2 also but this is off topic, they're pretty awful also*

So far out of Marvel's movie adaptations i've only enjoyed Iron Man, and im currently looking Forward to Thor and Captain America, beyond that, i'd say any comic/movie production which Marvel doesn't own the production rights to *Spiderman, Fantastic Four, X-Men* are pretty much doomed to failure since as far as continuity go they aren't set in the same "reality" as the current chain of movies Marvel are linking to lead to an avengers movie.

Comment

One of the problems I have with the SpiderMan movies is that they've all been made in a "villian of the week"-type of way. And all the easter eggs just seems to be randomly thrown in with no real thought put behind them other than "Hir hir! This'll be funny!" and a lot of random stuff seems to be done just to throw the viewer off in a "You thought you knew what was gonna happen!"-type of way.

I did actually really like huge portions of the second one, but I think that might be because Doc Ock's actor was an interesting choice... Oddly enough, Doc Ock (at times) felt more like how Venom could've (and should've) been (sans the mad-scientist part, maybe... unless Topher had had a serious case of E.T. PHONE HOME!-syndrome going or something post-acquisition of the alien symbiote) (Speaking of casting - J.J. Jameson's actor choice was also nice)

SpiderMan 3 just had too much stuff that made no sense (and stuff that was just straight out annoying... like... I didn't mind Topher being cast as Venom, but 95% of Venom's screentime was Topher w/Venom's body and not Venom). I must admit I've never been much of a weekly comic book and the SpiderMan movies haven't really done anything to change that for the better (Maybe it's the messy narrative structure, or the insane amount of repeatedly forced patriotism found in the movies - This doesn't mean I'm not looking forward to see how the Captain America movie turns out, though.)

And, yeah, The Avengers build up in the recent Marvel movies seems promising (though, as a movie, The Hulk had me laughing for all the wrong reasons at times). My only beef with the first Iron Man movie was the music/soundtrack - hopefully that'll improve in the second (seriously, all I can remember from the Iron Man soundtrack was that it was the same chords being wanked over and over again on a guitar for nearly two hours)

The X-Men movies have all followed a terrible formula. All of them ends in the same way -> Everyone being unable to save the day, even though there's like a thousand things most of them could probably do to work around things, so the no-brainer of the group, Hugh Jackman, has to use his healing powers to show off his masculinity and shout and groan in pain as he saves the day.

Also, I've yet to see X-Men Origins, and that only because they did an amazing cast of Deadpool, but in the end totally messed up the character in terms of script and execution. Say, is the Deadpool movie project Marvel's? (and I still find it hilarious that Ryan Reynolds is currently bagging two acting roles as Marvel characters, three if you count the fact that he's reprising Deadpool in a non-X-men Origins portrayal)

Comment

I believe the Deadpool film is in the hands of Fox. Oh how I wish all movie related rights returned to Marvel

Comment

Working...
                              X