No announcement yet.

Spider-Man 4

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So, yeah, scrap this whole topic. The fucking franchise is getting completely rebooted. Raimi's gone, Maguire's gone, Dunst is gone.

Culver City, CA (January 11, 2010) -- Peter Parker is going back to high school when the next Spider-Man hits theaters in the summer of 2012. Columbia Pictures and Marvel Studios announced today they are moving forward with a film based on a script by James Vanderbilt that focuses on a teenager grappling with both contemporary human problems and amazing super-human crises.

Fuck this. While the prospects of a new beginning adds hope for the future, I HATE the term 'reboot.' Also, I don't see how they can top the first two films. They were both great, groundbreaking movies in the superhero genre and very good as just plain movies as well. I honestly can't see this 'reboot' being better.

I have hopes that Marvel will be more involved, and correlate the movies more with the ORIGINAL comics...not this newfangled time traveling/alternate universe crap that they have going on now.
    Last edited by Vector; 01-11-2010, 05:17 PM.

Comment

...franchise director Sam Raimi pulled out of Spider-Man 4 because he felt he couldn't make its summer release date and keep the film's creative integrity...

...Raimi told Sony Pictures: "I can't make your date. I can't go forward creatively." And, so, once he said "That's it"...
      So Raimi couldn't make the film Summer 2011 release date. So the studio drops everyone and then gives the new project until 2012?
      Why not just extend the original deadline...?
      sigpic

Comment

I get the feeling he wanted more control and didn't wanna get jerked around like he did with Spider-Man 3. He never wanted Venom and the symbiote in the storyline, and it was forced in to please the people who were begging for Venom, and it seemed that way.

Comment

I liked Tobey Maguire as Peter/Spider man. I thought he played the part just right, minus the parts where he acted cocky.

Comment

Well, while I enjoy watching the Spider-Man films (sans 3), I'll be glad to be free of those damn scenes where Peter and MJ look at each other...and then look at each other...and then teh drama ensues. I think Tobey Maguire plays a meek character too well, hard as hell to watch. Hmm, hope this post didn't come off as contradictory ("while I enjoy watching...hard as hell to watch.") ah well.
            Last edited by GuardhouseMusic; 01-11-2010, 05:56 PM.

Comment

This is unbelievable. I never thought they'd do it, despite how badly Spider-Man 3 was received by fans and critics.

EDIT: With S4 being cancelled I guess that we can kiss the venom spin off film goodbye.
              Last edited by aris13; 01-11-2010, 06:09 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

I doubt that. I'm sure Marvel's aware of the fan following in terms of Venom, and with this reboot coming, they could do a spin-off under the pretense of "getting it right this time."

Comment

Marvel have very little to do with the Spider-man movie franchise, its owned by Sony if memory serves.

Personally im glad for the reboot for reasons stated before, but its still a shame Marvel can't integrate Spider-man into their avengers universe.

Comment

Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post
                    I doubt that. I'm sure Marvel's aware of the fan following in terms of Venom
                    Marvel knows it but what about Sony? The problem is that Sony is making the reboot instead of Marvel.
                    sigpic

Comment

Ah, I stand corrected.

Comment

4 canceled? ffffffffffuuuuuuuuuuu Goddammit. Sucks for Raimi, he could've actually done something with 4. Oh well. God, studio execs.

Comment

So, with Raimi out of the way and a "reboot" approach...

Will it still carry the nr. 4? Will they try to give it some stupidly creative new name?
                          And... will we have another origin story? (and will it reveal the first appearance of the PlayStation 4 logo font? )

(You know, one of the things I really liked about the latest Hulk movie was that there was no origin mumbo-jumbo story. We know! He's The Incredible Hulk. Let's NOT focus on how he became the Hulk and just kick back and enjoy the ride instead.)
                          Last edited by Carnivol; 01-11-2010, 07:53 PM.

Comment

dammit! I wanted Bruce Campbell action!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Carnivol View Post
                              So, with Raimi out of the way and a "reboot" approach...

Will it still carry the nr. 4? Will they try to give it some stupidly creative new name?
                              $10 on "The Amazing Spider-Man"

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
                                Fuck this. While the prospects of a new beginning adds hope for the future, I HATE the term 'reboot.' Also, I don't see how they can top the first two films. They were both great, groundbreaking movies in the superhero genre and very good as just plain movies as well. I honestly can't see this 'reboot' being better.
                                100% agree. Spider-Man 1 & 2 were two of the best superhero films ever made. Both raised the bar for the genre. They may not have been faithful adaptations to the comics, but they had great actors, good character chemistry and amazing action scenes. I just can't see anyone else playing Peter or Mary Jane besides Maguire and Dunst. It's hard to see a new cast replacing the actors who have been portraying these characters since 2002.

Honestly, I think that a reboot is just pointless. They've come so far with Raimi's trilogy and now they're going right back down to the very beginning. I really don't know why Sony is being so enthusiastic about bringing Spider-Man back to high school..... I really can't see them doing anything different from the first film. They'll probably just end up following the same formula as the previous films anyways.

Comment

Working...
                                X