Resident Evil Games On New OS Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil Games On New OS Systems

I know a lot of this is covered in other topics, but I could not find a place were ALL of it was covered, so thought that I'd start one off!

I've just installed Windows 7 Home Premium UK Retail version and want to get the old Resi games running as well as 5.

But it's not just Windows 7 I want to cover in this topic as I know the games are REALLY stubborn to get running on all systems bar the ones they were designed for.

So ANYBODY who has any info, tips, programs or ANY personal knowhow on how to get the games running on any OS please chip in.

First one I'll add is for Resident Evil 3 under XP running Direct X 9, the game will not run past the Intro screen unless you disable Audio Hardware Accelleration in DX9's diagnostic settings.

Resi 5 works fine on Windows 7 in it's Direct X 10 mode for me, but not in it's Direct X 9 mode, as I found out on my old XP OS the game takes minutes to load the textures/shaders so for me to get it to run I had to back up the file called shaderlog.slg and edit it in a text editor to delete all the text in it, save the file in it's default folder (game directory/nativePC/) then the game loads as fast as you like!

I know there are LOADS of other tweeks so lets get them all in one place, one I've got a problem with at the moment is Resi 1, I have the original UK BIG Box retail version and it's acting up like a bugger. I can get the game loaded, but it's running fast and has no sound!

My system is as follows.

Windows 7 Home Premium UK Retail,
    Asus P5E Motherboard,
    nVidia 8800GTX,
    4 GB memory.
    Last edited by PlopPlop; 01-17-2010, 10:39 AM. Reason: correction

There are a lot of different tricks to running older games on newer operating systems. Mark Grass created a fix for RE1 that helps slow down the game. Unfortunately I was unable to get it to work but you may have better luck then I did.

The only other RE titles I own on PC are RE 3 and RE4. They seem to run fine without having to do a whole lot in order to get them to work correctly. If you are into using a gamepad for these games look into using Xpadder to map the keyboard keys to a gamepad.
    Last edited by alf717; 01-17-2010, 03:37 PM.

Comment

No need thanx I have a SmartJOY+ adaptor for the PS2's Duelshock that works on MOST PC games that I have and works great on all the Resi's except 5 were the right thumb stick maps left and right to up and down and up and down to left and right???

Thanx for the input I'll have a look at that util now.

That worked, now all I have to do is figure out why I can't get any sound any more, it quit making any sound before I tried the hack and I just thought that it was glitched and reset, but now I'm not getting ANY sound whatever I do?
      Last edited by PlopPlop; 01-17-2010, 04:16 PM. Reason: Added stuff.

Comment

Right, I've just got Resi 5 to play with my controller adaptor with ALL the buttons acting like they should with this cool program, it should work with most controllers on most games that use the 360 wired controller as it fakes the PC/game into thinking that you are using a 360 wired controller!

Comment

Well maybe this is a bit obvious but have you tried to right click the shortcuts to the games, go to propieties and change the compatibility mode? I did with Resident Evil 2 (set it to Win98) and I was able to save and play it normally. Resident Evil 1 worked nice (a bit faster than normal, but for me that's a good thing anyway...).

Resident Evil 3: I don't have a clue how to make it work...

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

not all games are gonna work.

i tried running the original Diablo and it does the same exact thing XP does it starts to lose the original color pallette and starts loading everything in different colors instead, same goes with Age of Empires, except more so on Windows 7. Diablo II runs perfectly fine though, except for some small audio issues during the fmvs.

Windows 7 is a stubborn bastard of an OS to get older shit running on it.
            Facebook | Myspace | PlayStation | Raptr | Steam | Twitter | Xbox Live | Xfire | Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by zomBD View Post
              Well maybe this is a bit obvious but have you tried to right click the shortcuts to the games, go to propieties and change the compatibility mode? I did with Resident Evil 2 (set it to Win98) and I was able to save and play it normally. Resident Evil 1 worked nice (a bit faster than normal, but for me that's a good thing anyway...).

Resident Evil 3: I don't have a clue how to make it work...
              NOTHING is obvious if you don't know how to do it, so anything that can be added may help somebody, thanx.

Comment

RE1 may also need to run in 16Bit colour it's also a good idea to disable sound acceleration in DirectX Diagnostic Tool
                Code:
                C:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe
                I also got ghosting / motion blur when using Antialiasing past 2x.

Only use the Rendition videos modes too the 3DFX modes are glitched and put a constant line through the screen image, I think the MYSTIQUE video mode is glitched as well, it sets your Wave volume level to zero after exiting the game so again only use the following modes

/Total "canopus TOTAL 3D" - Rendition
                /Blaster "Creative 3DBLASTER" - Rendition
                /Intense "Intergraph INTENSE 3D" - Rendition
                Last edited by kevstah2004; 01-19-2010, 08:26 AM.
                If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Right as part of my last but one post here is a good utility that will make old games that only accept keyboard and mouse input work with control pads,

There is also an OLDER but free version on Softpedia

Comment

Originally posted by kevstah2004 View Post
                    RE1 may also need to run in 16Bit colour it's also a good idea to disable sound acceleration in DirectX Diagnostic Tool
                    Code:
                    C:\WINDOWS\system32\dxdiag.exe
                    I also got ghosting / motion blur when using Antialiasing past 2x.

Only use the Rendition videos modes too the 3DFX modes are glitched and put a constant line through the screen image, I think the MYSTIQUE video mode is glitched as well, it sets your Wave volume level to zero after exiting the game so again only use the following modes

/Total "canopus TOTAL 3D" - Rendition
                    /Blaster "Creative 3DBLASTER" - Rendition
                    /Intense "Intergraph INTENSE 3D" - Rendition
                    DAMN just thought, the sound was working, then it didn't after I tried all of the video options, so it must be that that's turned my sound off, does anybody know how to turn the .wav volume back up in Windows 7, I've tried but can't find the option???

Comment

Don't know how it is in Windows7 but in XP it's
                      Code:
                      C:\WINDOWS\system32\sndvol32.exe
                      if not might still be under the Start Menu
                      All Programs, Accessories, Entertainment, Volume Control
                      Last edited by kevstah2004; 01-20-2010, 03:35 AM.

sigpic

Comment

You definitely don't want to disable, but rather, set it to "Basic Acceleration". ;)

Also, you can try running XP Mode with 3G enabled - it works wonders for the Resi-PC games, and many other PSone-to-PC ports.
                        Last edited by MeganGrass; 01-20-2010, 03:52 AM.
                        I'm a blackstar.

Comment

No you misunderstand, I can find the volume controls, and when Resi is running it shows up in the new revamped controls and I can change the volume level for it as everything seems to have it's own level on 7, BUT it makes no difference.

There are still options to change the mic level and other things that were in older versions of Window's sound options, but as far as I know there is no longer an option to change the wave level!

The sound did work the first couple of times I tried it, then I went through all of the video options, so as you said "I think the MYSTIQUE video mode is glitched as well, it sets your Wave volume level to zero after exiting the game" it maybe that has happened and I can't get to the volume control to switch the wave level mack up?

Update.

Just looked, it seems that sndvol32.exe is not even in Windows anymore, so just how anybody will change wave levels I don't know!

Also have had a look at Dxdiag.exe too and you can't even set up the audio accelleration options in it now?
                          Last edited by PlopPlop; 01-20-2010, 04:11 AM. Reason: Added

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post
                            You definitely don't want to disable, but rather, set it to "Basic Acceleration". ;)

Also, you can try running XP Mode with 3G enabled - it works wonders for the Resi-PC games, and many other PSone-to-PC ports.
                            What is 3G please?

Comment

Originally posted by MarkGrass View Post

Yeah I found that 3G thing out the over day when I found that Bleem for XP thing

you can use the include program to enable and disable 3G easily although you can just edit the boot.ini.
                              PlopPlop have you looking through the various settings in Windows Media Player?
                              Last edited by kevstah2004; 01-20-2010, 04:29 AM.

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X