Lost Planet interview at Xbox Gazette

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost Planet interview at Xbox Gazette

Earlier this month, the site Xbox Gazette had an interview with Jun Takeuchi, producer of Lost Planet. The interview contains quite a lot of questions and answers related to Lost Planet, but also got a little bit of quick stuff for Resident Evil 5, such as;

Xbox Gazette : Can you talk a little bit about the engine you use for the game ? Is it the same one used in Dead Rising and do you plan to reutilize it in other games, like Resident Evil 5 ?
    Jun Takeuchi : Yes, we are using the same engine that was created for Dead Rising and we are very pleased with what we have achieved given that these are our first two titles for the Xbox 360. As for Resident Evil 5, we do plan to use the same engine, but will be making a number of changes - you could say we will be tuning it to run like a GT car.

Source article: Lost Planet - Interview with Jun Takeuchi on Xbox Gazette
    Last edited by Carnivol; 11-02-2006, 06:38 AM.

Interesting. This whole entire "Capcom uses the same engine for it's next-gen games" thing, does that mean that there is a chance that DMC4 will be ported to Xbox 360, and vice versa for Dead Rising? I know that Lost Planet is definitely out of the question (at the moment, at least) after reading that interview.

Comment

does that mean that there is a chance that DMC4 will be ported
      Capcom doesn't need a reason to port anything.
      Capcom staff probably port games as a hobby or something.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis556 View Post
        Interesting. This whole entire "Capcom uses the same engine for it's next-gen games" thing, does that mean that there is a chance that DMC4 will be ported to Xbox 360, and vice versa for Dead Rising? I know that Lost Planet is definitely out of the question (at the moment, at least) after reading that interview.
        I wouldn't be suprised. Considering not too many game analysists have hope for the PS3 financially, and considering the amount of 360 units should out number the amount of PS3 units for quite a while, it would be wise for them to do it. In fact, it would be an exact mirror of what they did with the Gamecube and the PS2...as in, viewtiful joe wasn't selling too well on gamecube, so they ported it over to the PS2 for more of a success.
        Last edited by metaleggman; 11-05-2006, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Viewtiful Joe wasn't selling well on the gamecube?

I thought the reason they ported it to the PS2 was because of how well it DID do on the gamecube and they expected similar sales on the PS2 as well. As in another instance of their "listening to the fans."
          Last edited by Nikovich; 11-05-2006, 10:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Nikovich View Post
            Viewtiful Joe wasn't selling well on the gamecube?

I thought the reason they ported it to the PS2 was because of how well it DID do on the gamecube and they expected similar sales on the PS2 as well. As in another instance of their "listening to the fans."
            Well, I didn't reall attention to that thing too much, just kinda pissed how they always ported to the PS2 which means they ALWAYS got all those extras
            Maybe it was because of that, or they just wanted more people to buy it.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemesis556 View Post

Well then DMC4 is most certainly out of the question because Kobayashi and Itsuno re-iterated exclusivity 3 times in one month to kill those rumours sparked by one analyst's comment. Not to mention that Sony is pushing the game as well, and it was one of the few game series that they secured on the PS2. There is a chance for every single game to be ported, but I personally think that LP and DMC4 are simply going to stay exclusive.

The engine they're using is also a framework basically (and called that). Unlike middleware engines, it leaves a lot of room for hardware specific optimization.

And VJ sold extremely poorly on the PS2, unlike the GC original. Even VJ2 on the GC outsold the PS2 version by a considerably margin. Capcom just that that the series would get better sales on the PS2 in Japan, but that simply wasn't the case. As for that whole analysts' outlook bit.. too many things to pick on. Let's just say that MS is about 4 million behind their target. Both camps have a lot of work to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Umon Daisuke View Post
                And VJ sold extremely poorly on the PS2, unlike the GC original. Even VJ2 on the GC outsold the PS2 version by a considerably margin. Capcom just that that the series would get better sales on the PS2 in Japan, but that simply wasn't the case. As for that whole analysts' outlook bit.. too many things to pick on. Let's just say that MS is about 4 million behind their target. Both camps have a lot of work to do.
                I believe that was the case for Killer 7 as well, not to mention the GCN version is all around more polished...

Comment

I can't take anything Capcom says if the word "exclusive" is involved in it anymore. I believe Mikami said something to the effect of cutting off his own head if RE4 ever got ported to PS2, and we all know how that turned out.

Comment

Ultimately its not up to the dev's if something gets ported. Capcom Corporate makes that decision. With the GOTY status on RE4 they had no choice really. Besides, the PS2 was an inferior port, albeit had new things.

Comment

That was before the game was even out, and Mikami's words basically meant he'd quit his job not literal suicide. He did temporarily, then decided to take up on the contract.

Still, I was quite impressed with the work they did on the port in such a short time. The engine was competent, but the obvious hit in audio bugged me.

Capcom exclusives exist, albeit rare. DMC1 for example is their single most successful SKU this past generation, and they never ported it. Same with the rest of the series, including the successful third game. But yeah, given their overall history, I would take the word exclusive and add "until further notice".

Comment

No. DMC3 is on PC bro
                        Least I swear it is...

Comment

Console exclusive (see Halo for example), and I did mean DMC1. DMC3 PC version is rather atrocious though; missing bloom and particles, and no music during fights for some reason among other issues.

Comment

Originally posted by Umon Daisuke View Post
                            Console exclusive (see Halo for example), and I did mean DMC1. DMC3 PC version is rather atrocious though; missing bloom and particles, and no music during fights for some reason among other issues.
                            Aren't all of ubisofts capcom ports like that

Comment

Ubi's just the publisher; the porting was done by a low profile Japanese developer for both Onimusha 3 and DMC3. I think Ubi paid close attention to user feedback on those titles and that's why RE4 was delayed.

Comment

Working...
                              X