Rumor: Microsoft wants Capcom?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rumor: Microsoft wants Capcom?

In the last EGM (Electronic Gaming Monthly) issue a rumour was reported about Microsoft intention of acquiring Capcom in order to make the famous Asiatic software-house a first-party developer.

Obviously, this is something like a sci-fi rumour! Capcom is one of the greatest Japanese software-houses and during its 27 years of activity it has never been a first-party developer.

Capcom acquisition would certainly help Microsoft with Xbox 360 sales in Japan as it will imply the exclusive on several games such as Devil May Cry (which has always been a Sony PS exclusive) and Resident Evil series.
    Source: XboxWay International

MS also wanted Namco and Squaresoft 6 years ago (approached the former too). Capcom? not a chance. Tsujimoto was very offended at the idea of anyone suggesting a sell to Nintendo a few years ago, let alone MS. They even refuse to merge with other publishers for many reasons, including management structures (it's still basically a family owned business)

Chalk it up to EGM to make up great things (the whole ZD group). Remember the recent RE5 megaton?
    Last edited by Umon Daisuke; 11-11-2006, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Yea, I doubt that it will happen, Microsoft can want whomever they want, but when a company doesnt want to be bought, none of that matters.

Comment

Absolute bull, recall the Konami buyout?

"Capcom has not been involved in any merger or acquisition in its 20-year history," said a rep for the company. "Talk of a merger with Konami is based on an analyst comment that Capcom would be a likely candidate for acquisition or merger. Capcom treats this as a rumor and we make it a policy to not comment on rumors."

Capcom's very firm on remaining independant.
        Last edited by Dot50Cal; 11-11-2006, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Theoretically though, if they did, would DMC4 still be released for PS3?

I'm just interested to know what would happen to current non Xbox projects if it were to happen.

Comment

Given the fact that DMC4 is one of the best games in the PS3's arsenal, I would say definitely not. Oni was a sub par title that MS allowed Bungie to release for the PS2 6 years ago, but the same cannot be said for DMC4.

Comment

I thought they released that before the XBOX though, so it wouldn't make sense not to release it on another platform...

Comment

On a REALLY quick side note, would it be worth buying a PS3 if you only intended to play games in 720p and not 1080p? >_>

Comment

Considering the great majority of PS3 games will run in 720P, yes.

Comment

All the games must support 720p fool. Sony was just like microsoft, making sure all the formats were supported by all games, tho I think all the 360 games don't technically suppot 1080p yet natively, as that is usu upsourced. Games may be developed for a certain resolution, but it doesn't mean it can't be set to another format. But to get a PS3 for 720p is stupid IMO. Reason? Almost all the games will be developed for use in 1080p, so if you don't have a 1080p monitor or TV, it won't necesarrily look like what the developers wanted it to look like. Just my thoughts...

Comment

Working...
                    X