Resident Evil Apocalypse Blu-Ray dated

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil Apocalypse Blu-Ray dated

After a long wait it appears RE:A is set to be released in January of next year. ManRoom has the scoop:

The riddle behind why 'Resident Evil: Apocalypse' was delayed from a Blu-ray release has finally been solved. Sony will be releasing the title on January 16 with Blu-wizard functionality, the same technology that will debut on their 'Black Hawk Down' release tomorrow. All extra features will port over from the standard DVD including three commentaries and a host of featurettes, with the big difference being Blu-wizard will allow the featurettes to be inserted into the film via seamless branching or viewed separately in an order determined by you. Also included is PCM 5.1 audio which makes us suspect this will be a BD-50 title.
    Source: TheManRoom

Aren't there less than 50 BD movies out?

Comment

Yep, thats Blu ray

Comment

The actual number is 78, with another 53 expected before the end of the year.

Heres the list so far...
        Blu-ray movies and reviews, Blu-ray release dates for new and upcoming Blu-ray releases, in-depth Blu-ray reviews with screenshots and much more.

Not counted them, but that looks like a good couple of hundred movies including the ones already out and ones on their way.

And considering all(bar one) of the major film studios are dedicated to the format, i'd expect that to increase rapidly over the next year.
        Last edited by Cyber_Shinobi; 11-15-2006, 06:15 PM.

Comment

Damn thats actually a lot considering they only came out like last year.
          I always wanted HD-DVD to win just cuz SONY is so arrogant...Well, looks like Toshiba wont win this time around

That is until volumetric media comes around trounces both their asses
          Or maybe that protein disc that those Harvard guys are playing around with

Comment

Came out last year? It only came out a matter of months ago.

HD-DVD does have about 120 releases so far, but its been out longer. Blue-Ray has much more support though. As i've seen in one guys sig..

Blu-Ray

V

HD-DVD

But i think that is a little bit of an exaggeration

Sony should have won the video wars. Betamax was so much more a superior format to VHS, but it didn't have the support of the major movie studios. This time it does, and they are one of the big movie studios.

Anyway, much to early to call a winner yet, but i'd be suprised if Blu-Ray lost this one if i was entirely honest. You never know though...

Comment

Both formats are far from being mass adapted, so the PS3 is going to be a shot in the arm overall. BD is looking better that the first two months it was on the market; that much is sure particularly after the release of BD-50 titles. Not to mention better editing. And yes, there are more HD-DVD titles out simply because the format launched months earlier.

I would say that Betamax failed because of Sony themselves. Licensing the tech to only 4 companies and charging higher royalties had its consequences.

This time, they're leading the PR efforts but it's not a proprietery format. Not to mention that Matsushita has been a major co-developer, so that's always a plus in my book.

That sig is actually right for the most part, but with some major errors.. Universal is an exclusive HD-DVD supporter, and the guy obviously put various sectors of Sony as different companies (MGM, Epic etc.)

Studio support for the most part is non-exclusive, but BD does have more exclusive support.

Comment

What always worried me about Blu-Ray was the fact that the data layer is only 0.1m from the surface compared to 0.6m of a standard Dvd and Hd-Dvd, so obviously in theory much easier to damage beyond repair. So obviously they needed to develop a hard coating to prevent this, that being a polymer developed by TDK called Durabis. From what i've read its very strong, and even resilient to finger prints. Has anyone actually checked a Blu-Ray Disc out?

Comment

Originally posted by Cyber_Shinobi View Post
                  What always worried me about Blu-Ray was the fact that the data layer is only 0.1m from the surface compared to 0.6m of a standard Dvd and Hd-Dvd, so obviously in theory much easier to damage beyond repair. So obviously they needed to develop a hard coating to prevent this, that being a polymer developed by TDK called Durabis. From what i've read its very strong, and even resilient to finger prints. Has anyone actually checked a Blu-Ray Disc out?
                  No, but I have seen a quad layer BD, and it was literally see-through. No, this may have just been because it hasn't gotten its coating yet, but it still seems kindof bad...I did hear analysts complaining about the BDs fragility when it was being shown. We still have seen those damn dual drives people have been talking about It's be so fucking easy. Just put the one drive on top, the other on the bottom. eg. when you wanna play a BD, just put it in updside down, when you want to play a HD-DVD, put it in right side up. Just an idea.

Comment

It is just an idea because neither camp wants it materialized, so manufacturers are hesitant. Of course, it's not going to work out as easily as you suggested with accident pron and unrealistic dual drives.

I've seen a BD and yeah, the coating is considerably more durable than DVD and HD-DVD as mentioned. The complaints about the format's closer layer materialized around 2004 in beta stage so the Durabis and Sony/Matsushita's proprietery hard coating were born.

Comment

Earlier this year, Japan-based TDK began selling blank recordable DVDs treated with its patent pending polymer. The coating has also been endorsed by the industry group behind the next-generation DVD format known as Blu-ray Disc, which has faced significant concerns over its susceptibility to scratches. On Tuesday, Hewlett-Packard said it will include Blu-ray drives in its PCs starting in late 2005, thanks in part to improvements made possible by TDK's technology. PC giant Dell is also supporting Blu-ray.
                      Wouldnt worry on that.
                      Last edited by Dot50Cal; 11-19-2006, 11:59 AM.

Comment

What i'd really love to know is, just how durable does the polymer coating make Blu_Ray discs? Reading that its pretty resilient to finger prints is excellent, thats always been the annoying thing about CDs & Dvds.

Just how easy(or hard) are they to scratch? Again, CDs and Dvds scratch way too easily. Even wiping them with a soft cloth leaves small surface scratches. If Blu-Ray discs improve on this, then thats great news from a collectors point of view, who always like to keep everything in mint condition.
                        Last edited by Cyber_Shinobi; 11-19-2006, 04:43 PM.

Comment

Well Im not going to be your guinea pig XP The things cost nearly 35$ with tax O_O

Comment

So you get on people's cases for not being able to spend $4000 on a PS3 with a working optimal entertainment set up but $35 is a problem for you?

What the hell?

Comment

hm...dot, do you have any sort of surround setup?

Comment

Working...
                              X