Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil Zero: Animated Backgrounds

Hey there
    I made some videos from several backgrounds files of resident evil zero.these files are now animated.i hope you will like it:

Nice work man, thanks for sharing

Comment

no problem..i worked the whole day on it....
      Last edited by Robert_Kendo; 07-18-2010, 04:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 5TH SURVIVOR View Post
        Nice work man, thanks for sharing
        Co-sign, Robert_Kendo any chance of you doing them as animated GIF's too?
        Last edited by kevstah2004; 07-18-2010, 05:31 PM.
        If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

Yeah thanks for these always felt RE0 had the best backgrounds of any pre-rendered game . . .
          sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by kevstah2004 View Post
            animated GIF
            Unless you're aiming for maximum failure in compression quality, there's just no feasible way of getting the end result down to any acceptable file size w/good quality.

If memory serves me right, the game uses a simple jpeg variation for all frames in its background renders, with some having up to (or over) 60 frames worth of 512x384(?) hi-detail imagery. This is something that just doesn't translate too well to standard GIF without massive quality loss (and absurdly large file sizes)

Couldn't spot any pre-made ones, so I took myself the liberty to quickly throw together one with an old 2006 background rip set that was collecting dust on a backup drive;

Spoiler:

At first glance it looks pretty nice, but when compared to the original source material, stuff like the left-side railing and most color transitions are full of glaring color depth issues.

Of course, gimp the color depth further (256 -> 128, lots of dithering, etc.) and you can cram it down to roughly the size of the original jpeg frames.

Best would be to utilize some other, slightly more modern (and/or flexible) format capable of storing animated frames (preferably in a video codec-like fashion, based on the differences between previous, current and next frame, with as few whole key frames as possible - such as only first and final frame, unless the compression is capable to account for loops too)
            Last edited by Carnivol; 07-18-2010, 09:26 PM.

Comment

Time for me to revist some javascript then or flash.
              If he had a brain, he'd be dangerous.

sigpic

Comment

i could make gifs,but they wont have good quality,example:

Last edited by Robert_Kendo; 07-19-2010, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by kevstah2004 View Post
                  Time for me to revist some javascript then or flash.
                  Pretty much. Could probably squeeze things down a lot if you took frame 1, compared it to frame 2, kept only the differences from frame 2, applied frame 2 leftovers as a new layer to frame 1, then compared frame 3 to the composition of frame 1-2, made the leftovers into frame 3, etc. (evt., going the extra mile of disabling certain layer combinations on certain frames saves space. Like if you get a better match and less data on say 1-3+5-7, than 1-7, for frame 8.)

For general display purposes on a website, I'm pretty sure you can set it all up with HTML w/out relying on java or flash (I'm no web-guru), but the easiest is surely to just use a java script of some sort - although I tend to always try to avoid relying on external plug-ins that has to load.

I was doing a pile of random checks on this a couple of years ago, when we were considering using anything from GIFs to the Quicktime VRs for various motion morphs to visually compare piles of stuff between various RE versions.
                  Last edited by Carnivol; 07-19-2010, 08:41 AM.

Comment

Very nice work.

Comment

the remake files are coming soon

Comment

Nice work Kendo.
                        sigpic

Comment

RAD Video Tools are rather convenient for making looped videos.
                          The output bik files are about the same in size as batch of those separate jpgs, and there's no loss in quality.

In Compression settings in a field 'Compress to a % of the original' type 100, then Bink it.
                          And to make an infinitely looped EXE file, open the same bik you just made with 'Advanced Play' option and chech "Loop the playback", then make EXE.

Here are 3 selfmade samples:

http://www.mediafire.com/?p7l3sogwj2do712

Comment

u could use them for mods lol

Comment

Wow excellent

Comment

Working...
                              X