Betas, breasts and the making of Resident Evil 5

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Betas, breasts and the making of Resident Evil 5

* It was indeed originally a 1 player game with Chris as the main character. Sheva was an NPC you would meet later in the game and instead of a BSAA agent, she was originally part of a local militia. She was changed to a BSAA agent when co-op was brought in.

* Chris has ridiculously big muscles because he has been training hard for his eventual confrontation with Wesker.

* Sheva's breasts are slightly smaller than Jill's. She is not muscley because the developers wanted her to look sexy. Her tattoo 'Shujaa' means 'hero' in Swahili.

* Wesker kept his Samurai Edge as it was deemed he would only use his super strength against 'worthy' opponents. Originally, he was to have no gun as the developers thought he wouldn't need one due to his powers. His coat is made of special material that can deflect shrapnel and other common shards.

*Jill's control mechanism was originally to be on her head but the project leader said "If we put it on her chest, we can open up her chest area and it'd be sexy." No one on the development team argued with that.

*Excella was originally a secretary to the male CEO of Tricell. Wesker becomes intimate with her to gain access into Tricell. Thier relationship is strengthened by what they believe they can gain by manipulating each other. When the male CEO idea was scrapped and Excella was put in charge, her character was changed to a more elegant celebrity type, and again the developers worked hard to ensure her breasts were always on show in the cutscenes.

*Instead of Las Plagas, the T-Virus was to be used. The public assembly stage would have had zombies and so the level map would have been three times larger than the final game. The PA stage was eventually redone three times.

* Jill 'dying' was always in the story. However, there was a time where there was a branch in the scenario where she would die for real depending on how the story progressed.

*The Executioner was originally just a chainsaw majini with a large axe, but it didn't look right, so a bigger enemy was created.

*There were running zombies, though its not stated if they were a new breed or crimson heads.

*The scene with Kirk's crash and the Kiepepeos was originally a spectacular cutscene to demonstrate the first appearance of the creature. But it was dropped in favour of introducing the Kiepepeos in the sewers and the helicopter crash was done in real-time.

*Chris began the game on his own, but at one stage Jill was leading a team of BSAA agents who Chris presumably met up with. Pg 74 has a shot of Jill being attacked by biker Majini.

*Kijuju originally had a night level which included a large tower in the centre of town. The player could go up this and from the top could see across the whole of Kijuju.

*Irving was originally an experiment himself and had a bar code on the back of his neck to identify him. Originally you were still in the city when you fought him.

*The scene were Chris and Sheva were seperated in the Ndipaya kingdom was originally Chris falling down a large pit. He falls into a waste management building for the Umbrella Africa lab and had to fight his way through that alone. Sheva entered the African lab alone and found Jill's test tube and this time she was still in it.

*When the game was single player, the Ndipaya levels were a lot more adventurous. When co-op was added, they had to reduce the number of tricks and traps.

*The Ndipaya valued the Ndipaya flower for its medicinal purposes, but its overuse eventually ended up wiping out the entire civilization.

*The Progenitor flower was originally an aquatic flower.

*Wesker originally died by simply falling into the lava without mutating. This was then changed to him dying via rocket launcher as a homage to the earlier games.

*The volcano and erupting lava location was chosen to emphasise that this truly was the end for Wesker. {Ironic given all the 'Wesker still lives, the rockets missed him!' threads.}

*Wesker could originally control Uroboros with his mind.

*Originally the final battle was a full on raw fight between Chris and Wesker but this was changed with co-op when it became 2 on 1.

*Development on the game began in 2004.

*The weapons Merchant was brought back after RE4.

*Originally there was a huge level that was just desert. But since there was no cover available they would have to resort to enemies popping up out of the sand so it was dropped. This level also contained the wreckage of a ship on a long dried out lake. A weapons merchant had set up shop here.

*At one stage the timed level where you have to survive for a set period of time until the helicopter arrives to rescue you was a night stage and the enemies were all Lickers.

*Originally when the game was 1 player it began with a battle against an Uroboros {which at this stage was just another BOW} in the streets of town. Secretary Excella and Irving are looking on from a safe distance. Cameras have been set up all over town and they are being monitored by the male Tricell CEO.

*Eventually, Sheva got separated from Chris and was captured by Excella and her men. After she is rescued, we see her shaking hands with Jill.

*The CEO character is betrayed by Wesker and Excella and is murdered in cold-blood.

*There was a Tyrant in the game, and it killed Excella under orders from Wesker.

*In the first battle between Chris and Wesker, Chris is beaten to within an inch of his life until Jill rescues him.

*When Jill fell with Wesker at the Spencer Estate, she stabbed him in the right eye with a knife. As a result, Wesker had a glass eye in his right socket which was to be his one true weakness.

*The final battle ended with Wesker still human but knee deep in rising lava. Chris was about to go under but a jet arrives piloted by Sheva and Jill. Chris jumps onto the wing and the player fires the rockets, killing Wesker. The game ends with the players getting out of the jet and walking away.

*The first city section had a train full of zombies that derailed in front of the player

*The weapons merchants had shops in town. But the player has to rip down barricades to get to the door as the merchant has been protecting himself from the zombies. You then pressed the action button to knock on the door The merchant then peeks through a viewing slit where the scene switches to first person. He asks if you are friend or foe and if there are any zombies around.

*One scene involved the players jumping off a second floor balcony onto a set of unstable pillars. Lots of zombies would be milling around on the floor below and the player had to jump from one pillar to the next while the zombies shook them trying to make the player fall.

*There was a night level where there is a car crash and there were a lot of local NPCs trying to protect the barricades, fighting back the zombies with primitive weapons. Chris and his partner which at this stage was undecided between Jill or BARRY {!} would have to stop and help out for a predetermined amount of time.

*One level had a set of tacked drum cans which would fall and the zombies would try and crawl over thema nd one another to get to the player.

*There was once a massive fortress siege scene. The majini were firing bows and arrows. Chris would be assisted by 12 allies in this scene.

*Like the scene where you have to protect Josh as he works the elevator, there was a similar one where you had to protect Jill from an El Gigante as she worked the power supply unit.

*You had to fight 10-15 El Gigantes at the same time.

*The zombies were changed to Majini because the developers believed another zombie-filled game might not be able to hold it's own through to the very end. Group attacks and organized assaults would not have been possible with zombies.

*{RE3.5 ALERT} One unused enemy design was a creature that attacked by creating hallucinations to confuse their pray. They would emit a fine mist of gaseous substance from their body, and if Chris were to inhale any of it, the screen would switch to a distorted thermal view. Upon review, this whole process didn't fit into the game very well, so it was dropped.

*The Tyrant was cut out because the staff felt it messed with the whole Wesker - Uroboros angle.

*When Uroboros was just a standard BOW, they were called U-9 and U-11. One was to get so large it would consume a whole train and chase Chris as he ran along the top of the carriages.

*Spencer is Saddler. His final battle with Leon is why he is now in a wheelchair.

Info courtesy of the Art of Resident Evil 5 book.

{And yeah, I made the last one up.}
    "I've got 100 cows."
    "Well I've got 104 friends."

Wtf! They changed this why?? Come on that would have been a much better game. God I hate Res5 now :-(

Comment

Now, I'm usually not one to declare that a scrapped build of a game would have been better than the final, as we can only actually play the final version, and therefore really can't compare the two, but damn.

Comment

If I had to pick just one single thing over all the others that should have been included, it would have been this
        *{RE3.5 ALERT} One unused enemy design was a creature that attacked by creating hallucinations to confuse their pray. They would emit a fine mist of gaseous substance from their body, and if Chris were to inhale any of it, the screen would switch to a distorted thermal view. Upon review, this whole process didn't fit into the game very well, so it was dropped.
        The lack of truly different enemies was a disappointment. The added story details were nice too. It seemed as if it would have made the game a hell of a lot longer.
        sigpic
        Are you tired, Rebecca?

Comment

What the hell, Capcom?

Seriously.

What the hell?

Comment

As much as I dislike RE5 as a game, I really can't wait until I get my hands on this book.
            sigpic

Comment

Beta checklist:
              • irrelevant stuff that would not have made the game better
              • people complaining about irrelevant stuff that would not have made the game better
              • release version declared inferior

Comment

Bing-fucking-go.

Originally posted by TheBatMan View Post
                * It was indeed originally a 1 player game with Chris as the main character. Sheva was an NPC you would meet later in the game and instead of a BSAA agent, she was originally part of a local militia. She was changed to a BSAA agent when co-op was brought in.
                This bothered me for the longest time. Anyone here been around long enough to remember the thread where I brought this up as a possibility and News Bot and someone else shit all over me saying that it was impossible? I bet no one else remembers it, but you know what? I do.

I feel vindicated.

EDIT: And that was also my 5,000th post. Good lord.
                Last edited by Vector; 08-27-2010, 10:07 PM.

Comment

What was the problem? The developers themselves stated on several occasions that the game originally started out as a single player title. Co-op wasn't added until later.

They also said that Sheva was there from the beginning (I think most people just assumed this was nothing more than them covering their butts after the whole racism controversy, though), but she didn't play as prominent of a role until co-op was added.
                  Last edited by Archelon; 08-27-2010, 10:21 PM.

Comment

To think that RE5 was close to being full of crimson head like Zombies and that they ditched them simply for organised enemies....

If I wanted to fight grouped organised enemies, I'd just play a damn military game. In an RE game I want Zombies and BOW's!!! Not boring, non scary crap like Plaga controlled people that are barely any different from real people with homicidal tendencies.

Does tend to make one rage upon hearing such news.

Comment

Thanks for the info. do you have any artworks of that unused RE3.5 enemy?
                      Last edited by ashkan; 08-28-2010, 02:04 AM.

Comment

I knew most of this already, but seeing it all listed like this...man. It certainly reads like, 'We have a potentially very good survival horror game with a lot of good scares. But survival horror doesn't sell! Add co-op! And more tits! And get rid of most of the cooler stuff. Traps, puzzles and plot are not required when we have co-op and tits!'

Damn.

Comment

Man I just came in after reading breasts, I didn't know there'd be a wall of text inside -_-

Comment

I love the co-op aspect of RE5 but after reading this whole list I think I would prefer RE5 to stay a single-player game. Some of those things sound so fun.

Comment

I knew that, but then again everyone here does. So I'm not surprised. Personally, I'd prefer the 1-player thing myself.

* Chris has ridiculously big muscles because he has been training hard for his eventual confrontation with Wesker.
                              That's not a bad way of putting it. Personally the big muscles don't bother me that much.

* Sheva's breasts are slightly smaller than Jill's. She is not muscley because the developers wanted her to look sexy. Her tattoo 'Shujaa' means 'hero' in Swahili.
                              The tattoo part I know. The breasts part I didn't know. Interesting.

* Wesker kept his Samurai Edge as it was deemed he would only use his super strength against 'worthy' opponents. Originally, he was to have no gun as the developers thought he wouldn't need one due to his powers. His coat is made of special material that can deflect shrapnel and other common shards.
                              Interesting back-story about Wesker's Samurai-Edge handgun. I find the "armour coat" thing to be a bit far-fetched for my liking.

*Jill's control mechanism was originally to be on her head but the project leader said "If we put it on her chest, we can open up her chest area and it'd be sexy." No one on the development team argued with that.
                              I wouldn't be surprised by that.

*Excella was originally a secretary to the male CEO of Tricell. Wesker becomes intimate with her to gain access into Tricell. Thier relationship is strengthened by what they believe they can gain by manipulating each other. When the male CEO idea was scrapped and Excella was put in charge, her character was changed to a more elegant celebrity type, and again the developers worked hard to ensure her breasts were always on show in the cutscenes.
                              Very interesting info about the unused male CEO of Tricell. As for Excella, Capcom Co., Ltd. must be starting to get into the "sex sells" routine.

*Instead of Las Plagas, the T-Virus was to be used. The public assembly stage would have had zombies and so the level map would have been three times larger than the final game. The PA stage was eventually redone three times.
                              I'd prefer the T-Virus any day ... then accept this abomination we know as the "Plagas".

* Jill 'dying' was always in the story. However, there was a time where there was a branch in the scenario where she would die for real depending on how the story progressed.
                              That's news to me!!! I wished they should've kept it in the final product.

*There were running zombies, though its not stated if they were a new breed or crimson heads.
                              I'd prefer the running zombies/V-Acts, rather than the Majini in the final product.

*The scene with Kirk's crash and the Kiepepeos was originally a spectacular cutscene to demonstrate the first appearance of the creature. But it was dropped in favour of introducing the Kiepepeos in the sewers and the helicopter crash was done in real-time.
                              Interesting.

*Chris began the game on his own, but at one stage Jill was leading a team of BSAA agents who Chris presumably met up with. Pg 74 has a shot of Jill being attacked by biker Majini.
                              I like this story even better then the story we got in the final product. I don't know why they had to change it.

*Kijuju originally had a night level which included a large tower in the centre of town. The player could go up this and from the top could see across the whole of Kijuju.
                              That seems interesting, although I don't know where they were going with this.

*Irving was originally an experiment himself and had a bar code on the back of his neck to identify him. Originally you were still in the city when you fought him.
                              Interesting.

*The scene were Chris and Sheva were seperated in the Ndipaya kingdom was originally Chris falling down a large pit. He falls into a waste management building for the Umbrella Africa lab and had to fight his way through that alone. Sheva entered the African lab alone and found Jill's test tube and this time she was still in it.
                              Ditto for this one.

*When the game was single player, the Ndipaya levels were a lot more adventurous. When co-op was added, they had to reduce the number of tricks and traps.
                              That's interesting as well.

*Wesker originally died by simply falling into the lava without mutating. This was then changed to him dying via rocket launcher as a homage to the earlier games.
                              That's not a bad way of putting it. Except that Wesker catched two RPGs in the face, while rest have only got blown up with one rocket.

*The volcano and erupting lava location was chosen to emphasise that this truly was the end for Wesker. {Ironic given all the 'Wesker still lives, the rockets missed him!' threads.}
                              I've always interpreted the volcano part that Wesker would "literelly" burn in hell as punishment for his evil deeds.

*Wesker could originally control Uroboros with his mind.
                              I find this one to be interesting, but a bit too ridiculous for my liking. Someone on the development team must've read S.D. Perry's Code: Veronica novel adaptation and decided to let Wesker tear a page out of Alexia Ashford's book!

*Originally the final battle was a full on raw fight between Chris and Wesker but this was changed with co-op when it became 2 on 1.
                              I like that one more than the one we've got in the final product. A raw fight against Wesker sounds challenging. I wonder how that would've turned out....

*Development on the game began in 2004.
                              Around the same time Resident Evil 4 was released if I remember correctly.

*Originally there was a huge level that was just desert. But since there was no cover available they would have to resort to enemies popping up out of the sand so it was dropped. This level also contained the wreckage of a ship on a long dried out lake. A weapons merchant had set up shop here.
                              Yeah I don't think that would work myself. Gameplay wise that is...

*At one stage the timed level where you have to survive for a set period of time until the helicopter arrives to rescue you was a night stage and the enemies were all Lickers.
                              I guess that answers the question I have about the night stage earlier, sounds very challenging!

*Eventually, Sheva got separated from Chris and was captured by Excella and her men. After she is rescued, we see her shaking hands with Jill.
                              Yeah I've seen two beta storyboard images online that showed Sheva Alomar in peril. One had Sheva surrounded by armed guards, and another one showed Sheva being held hostage by the same group. I've always wondered what the story was behind that until now. I think they should've kept that part in. It would have added a lot of dramatic tension.

*In the first battle between Chris and Wesker, Chris is beaten to within an inch of his life until Jill rescues him.
                              Interesting. I wonder how it would turn out if they had kept it in...

*When Jill fell with Wesker at the Spencer Estate, she stabbed him in the right eye with a knife. As a result, Wesker had a glass eye in his right socket which was to be his one true weakness.
                              I like that better than the "hold him down and jab a serum into his nipple" strategy.

*One scene involved the players jumping off a second floor balcony onto a set of unstable pillars. Lots of zombies would be milling around on the floor below and the player had to jump from one pillar to the next while the zombies shook them trying to make the player fall.
                              Is it just me? or Does that sound like something being ripped off an Indiana Jones movie?

*There was a night level where there is a car crash and there were a lot of local NPCs trying to protect the barricades, fighting back the zombies with primitive weapons. Chris and his partner which at this stage was undecided between Jill or BARRY {!} would have to stop and help out for a predetermined amount of time.
                              So ... Barry Burton was goimg to make an appearance at some point? DAMN IT!!! I'm starting to feel disappointed with what they did to the final product.

*You had to fight 10-15 El Gigantes at the same time.
                              That's bit much don't you think Takeuci-san? I'm glad this one didn't make it in the final cut.

So technically speaking, Chris Redfield would be getting a "killer buzz" if he got hit with this mist.

Comment

Working...
                              X