Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interview with Moira Quirk (Daniella/Ayla VA of Haunting Ground)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Interview with Moira Quirk (Daniella/Ayla VA of Haunting Ground)

I was lucky enough to get in contact with Moira Quirk and she was happy enough to answer a few questions that I had taken the time to collect from the fans.

The questions are in italics, Moira's answers have been put into bold to make it much easier to read.

Hello again Ms. Quirk,

Thank you again for taking part in this interview, here are the questions the fans of Haunting Ground have been asking:

Could you please tell us a little about the recording process - did you need to re-record lines or lines for new scenes?

I do remember I was pregnant with my second daughter when I recorded this and I wonder if it made some sort of in utero impact as she loooooves scary stuff. (Editor's note:It seems that may have been the case!) My elder daughter would be in a flop sweat if she even caught a second of this game. I would too. I hate scary things.

I can't really recall everything about recording. Ginny McSwain was the director and she's fantastic- she's a flame-haired mad professor. I perhaps went if for two recording sessions and then another a few months later for pick ups.

As Capcom have a record of having voice actors provide facial motion capture for their characters - did you provide them for your role, or had it been captured previously and you had to lip sync your lines?

I don't believe I had to lip sync this, nor record to picture. That made things easier. It was more like recording animation.

Does your interpretation of the character differ from theirs?

To be honest, I think I just read the character breakdown given to me and made the choices I made. I had a sort of post apocalyptic, sexless, sci-fi, go-go, Mrs. Danvers in my head and obviously a post apocalyptic, sexless, sci-fi, go-go, Mrs. Danvers would sound (and laugh) like that. Well, to me she would. Perhaps that was what the creators wanted, perhaps I gave them something they didn't realize they wanted. I don't know as I never met them. It can be equally gratifying to be told "You made the character exactly as I had imagined her" or "We never thought to cast that way!" I suspect I was somewhere in the middle on this one.

Have you played the game, or have seen play-through and/or footage online of it? If so, what was your impression of the game and of seeing your part of it in the final product?

I just went on Youtube to see this. I've never played the game; I'd never sleep again! When I was recording the car crash scene as Fiona's mother with some giant rotating thing, they showed me the rough animation for timing and I thought I might throw up. Honestly I'm really, really squeamish, so I will never play this nor see more than a few moments of it. I do like Gothic though, so I liked the look of the game. Also I was surprised by all the comments about the laugh. That's simply how I thought she should laugh. I'm utterly thrilled to see how many people I have unnerved! Mwah ha ha ha haha ha ha ha!

How were you able to Daniella's laugh, was it natural or just skilled acting?

Is that a huge compliment or an insult? Hmm. Definitely not my natural laugh, so yes I'll go with skilled acting, darling.

Are you currently working on any projects or have plans for them in the future? If so, what could we look forward to?

I've always got something going on. I'm Elara Dorne in Star Wars: Old Republic and a fleet (ha ha) of other characters. I'm in the Legend of the Guardians game, and Motorstorm. I just finished being a radio player in an NPR pilot. You can hear me as C.H.I.P.S. in The Radio Adventures of Dr. Floyd, available on iTunes. I'll be at Flappers Comedy Club in Burbank, CA in December and, if you are in the LA area, you'll be able to hear me in L.A. Theatrework's The Play's the Thing on KPCC 89.3 as Constance Neville in She Stoops to Conquer with James Marsters (Spike from Buffy) and Adam Godley, and also as Zoe in Alan Ayckbourn's Henceforward with Jared Harris, Jack Davenport and Anne Heche.

Thank you for your time. Before I let you go do you have anything you wish to say to your fans?

Just a big thank you! I had a blast recording this; I'm glad you're getting a kick out of playing it!

To see more of Moira's work, then please head over to her website or her YouTube Channel!

(Please do not copy and paste the interview, instead please use a hyperlink to this topic. However, this will be archived on my website for future reference).
    Last edited by Enetirnel; 09-02-2010, 08:46 PM.
    sigpic
    Non-blurry Signature Version
    Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

So excited to hear what she had to say. Thanks to you and Moira for this interview.

That laugh of hers was crazy, and Daniella is my favorite character in Haunting Ground so this is a real treat.

Comment

Originally posted by Smiley View Post
      So excited to hear what she had to say. Thanks to you and Moira for this interview.

That laugh of hers was crazy, and Daniella is my favorite character in Haunting Ground so this is a real treat.
      It was a real treat being able to interview her!

Yeah, especially the first time I went through Demento - really got me, especially when Daniella was on the prowl!

(And no, thank you for the help of organizing and double-checking the questions for me. )
      sigpic

Comment

Thanks, Great interview. Any chance to interview with the voice actor of Fiona?

Comment

Good to see this, I was looking forward to it! Lol at the idea of her participation in the recording affecting her second child.

Methinks I have another Hitchcock film to see.

Comment

Originally posted by ashkan View Post
            Thanks, Great interview. Any chance to interview with the voice actor of Fiona?
            Sorry for the delayed response, hadn't been checking THIA a lot lately.

She's a bit off the radar, I'm looking to contact her as most of the contact details for her have gone down over time.

Hoping to get in contact properly (his site is currently down, so I'm going about alternative ways to do so) with Greg Ellis (VA for Riccardo/Ugo) soon when I know he isn't filming or recording stuff.
            Originally posted by GuardhouseMusic View Post
            Good to see this, I was looking forward to it! Lol at the idea of her participation in the recording affecting her second child.

Methinks I have another Hitchcock film to see.
            XD Well, admittedly that thought came across when we saw the Muthahood piece she had uploaded to YouTube - so it was extremely interesting to find out that was actually the case!
            Last edited by Enetirnel; 10-19-2010, 12:13 PM.
            sigpic

Comment

Working...
            X