Revelations and Mercs 3D Direct-Feed Screenshots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Rosetta Mist View Post
    You say that as if its a positive thing. For one, it was probably the worst costume in the movie, especially for their budget. I've seen cosplayers make better. Second, just look back on the history of the relationship between the movies and the fans...its not going to come out pretty for the movies.
    Just for the record, since everyone's mentioning it, I for one think the Samus-suit, battlesuit, what's-ever-you-wanna-call-it, was pretty awesome in RE5. Very nifty, ignoring any vagina texture jokes. The costume itself made perfect sense in the context of the game considering Jill's P30-controlled body for the purpose of a super soldier for Wesker. I never really saw the problem, or the complaints of it being nothing but fanservice. Maybe a little, but fanservice isn't the demon a lot of people make it out to be. Only when something is done for the sole purpose of jerking off fans at the expense of the narrative and logic(in context story logic, mind you).

Putting Jill in a lazily recolored "wetsuit" for Revelations for some "sex" appeal isn't really much a big deal to me. Again, it at least makes sense given the context and setting of the game. The big problem with me is the fact they "Lara Crofted" Jill's face. WTF Capcom? Jill has had sunken eyes for over ten friggin' years since REmake. It makes zero sense as to change something that had become an iconic part of the character's image, other than to make her younger, more attractive, to maximaze her "sex appeal".

Combine that with the fact it's confirmed this is a prequel, and I pretty much lost any interest in Revelations. This game isn't going to add jack shit to the mythology, just another pointless endeavor.

Fuck this shit.

(Note***Rosetta, I just quoted you for a general consensus of the subject--not because I was disagreeing with the post. I haven't seen Afterlife, but I'm sure in the child-like mind of Paul W.S. Anderson, it's stuff like Jill's battlesuit that fits his priority as to what to borrow for "his" movies. Nevermind any actual canon or accurate characterizations )
    sigpic

Comment

• ...does the suit make sense? I may be wrong, but bar aquatic gear, is there any combat suit actually designed to be that tight, form fitting and such without any armour or gear? Wouldn't Jill have been equally effective in, say, some pants and a t-shirt?

I honestly have no idea how realstic the thing is, but from the female soldiers I've met before, I can't imagine most of them being told to wear it without the risk of some poor sod having his arm shattered.

Comment

• It's distracting to human opponents. But they were not expecting monsters

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
          ...does the suit make sense? I may be wrong, but bar aquatic gear, is there any combat suit actually designed to be that tight, form fitting and such without any armour or gear? Wouldn't Jill have been equally effective in, say, some pants and a t-shirt?

I honestly have no idea how realstic the thing is, but from the female soldiers I've met before, I can't imagine most of them being told to wear it without the risk of some poor sod having his arm shattered.
          I think the concept behind the idea of it being "tight" and "form fitting" is to enable maximum mobility without the potential article of clothing hangups.Granted, Jill parades around in RE5 with in a cloak and high heel boots most the game. I suppose it served as a sort of light armor also possibly? We don't exactly know what the suit is made of. Though, those two things certainly aren't what real-life military designers looks into, as you noted, Still, it's a conceptual idea used across fiction quite a bit. Take Solid Snake's MGS4 octo suit. I guess the idea is also used just for the "kewl" factor. But whatever the case may be, still effective to me at least.
          sigpic

Comment

...does the suit make sense?

Wetsuit, on a ship. Maybe, then again maybe it'll just be like the other various costumes characters have worn through the years that if you don't want to suspend disbelief even a tiny bit seem well out of place.
            Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

• Ugh. I can't believe people are STILL talking about this.

Originally posted by valentinesdead? View Post
              I think the concept behind the idea of it being "tight" and "form fitting" is to enable maximum mobility without the potential article of clothing hangups.
              This attempt at justification is in the same vein of thought as the people who try to defend Jill's hooker outfit in RE3 by saying that it's "easy to move around in." Try to defend it any way you want: the skin-tight suit, the placement of the P30 device, her vagina lips hanging out...it was ALL for sex appeal. Nothing more, nothing less. Capcom saw 'the success' of RE5 Jill(God knows how they interpreted that) and threw her into Marvel vs. Capcom 3 in the same stupid outfit as a DLC character, and now are just re-hashing the same outfit with a different color scheme in an all-new game. They're not even trying anymore.
              Last edited by Vector; 12-13-2010, 02:48 PM.

Comment

• I mentioned before that this talk about the 'cosmetic' look of the characters is BS, merely because if you think about it, the way the characters look now has a lot to do with the people who are REALLY in charge of this franchise.

Inafune mentioned them. Shareholders and the suits and Capcom.

Basically, these guys think that MAINSTREAM gamers would love to see something new about the characters or why not, have them wearing something sexy (99% of the time, mostly Jill).

This is nothing new, however. Trying to get ppl outside from the gaming user base to join the fold. Like users have mentioned b4, they did that in RE3.
                Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
                  Ugh. I can't believe people are STILL talking about this.

This attempt at justification is in the same vein of thought as the people who try to defend Jill's hooker outfit in RE3 by saying that it's "easy to move around in."
                  I always heard it was "a very hot summer". That would be reasonable, except her hometown has been decimated by a raging virus and waiting outside her apartment is an army of undead bastards waiting to tear at her flesh. One little scratch and it's the anti-virus or dat ass.

You would think she would have dressed a little differently.

The japanese man who hasn't seen his wife in three weeks, working on Jill's attire design during on a long lonely night, disagrees.
                  Last edited by REmaster; 12-13-2010, 03:41 PM.
                  "One can only match, move by move, the machinations of fate... and thus defy the tyrannous stars."
                  Resident Evil/Castlevania/ Silent Hill/Onimusha/Tekken /Dark Souls

Comment

Ugh. I can't believe people are STILL talking about this.

This attempt at justification is in the same vein of thought as the people who try to defend Jill's hooker outfit in RE3 by saying that it's "easy to move around in." Try to defend it any way you want: the skin-tight suit, the placement of the P30 device, her vagina lips hanging out...it was ALL for sex appeal. Nothing more, nothing less. Capcom saw 'the success' of RE5 Jill(God knows how they interpreted that) and threw her into Marvel vs. Capcom 3 in the same stupid outfit as a DLC character, and now are just re-hashing the same outfit with a different color scheme in an all-new game. They're not even trying anymore.
                    Err, not quite. Going back to the RE3 getup, I believe that original train of thought as far as Jill wearing the tube top and skirt for "mobility" reasons was an invention of S.D Perry and her Nemesis book. I don't think any reason was ever given for Jill's getup in the actual game. I mean, honestly, what exactly was a P-30 Jill supposed to be dressed in that doesn't look silly or out of place? The whole idea behind P-30 Jill is a super-powered, sleek lethal weapon for Wesker's personal use(and by that, I don't mean sexually). In the context of that, whether you actually like it or not(and I know you don't) it fits. The hand fits the glove, as OJ Simpson wouldn't say.

And besides that, again, I cited Solid Snake's outfit in MGS4. Ignoring the Octo-Cameo, was there any real advantage to that skin-tight outfit than say a standard set of fatigues for Snake instead? Er, not really. Although, now that I think about it, part of the idea behind it was to help Snake maneuver around given his deteriorating age. It's about the same idea in a sense with Jill--to maximize mobility. Whether that's completely necessary or not with someone equipped with P30 may be a moot point. I mean, did Capcom use it to give Jill a cool look? Maybe even show off a little bit of her sexiness? Sure--definitely. A TON of properties--games, movies, shows, comics, do this. Across the medium in fiction we read about characters who are pretty much better than we will ever be. Better looking, more talented, etc etc. That's the draw(though not *perfect* mary-sue characters by any stretch of the imagination). So, I really fail to see what's just so damning about the whole battlesuit thing when it's clearly not something that was thrown in for throwing in sakes.

I guess the point where we disagree is on the idea that Jill's usage in RE5. So many cry about it being fanservice, fanservice, fanservice, but I'd say Capcom actually took a risk with the character's role in RE5. Blatant fan service would've being having Jill be co-op from the start. No Sheva. Or imagine Jill's battlesuit had nothing to do with being controlled by Wesker, and was just the standard outfit for the game? Now that would certainly qualify as nothing BUT complete fanservice. I certainly would have preferred if Jill had be playable instead of Sheva. But instead, Capcom moved Jill down to a supporting character, and a deeper layer of characterization for Chris(adding a more personal motive to the Chris x Wesker conflict). Now, was Capcom's execution of this the best? Certainly, certainly not. But, Jill being my favorite character in RE, fanservice to me would have certainly been her and Chris going to rid the world of Wesker. I'd say that's actually lazy and a bit predictable if they had done that. They pretty much knocked Jill's importance as a protagonist down a few notches, but because of the reasons why they did that, I actually appreciate it for what it is(though certainly disagree with their terrible execution of the angle).

Another thing is while the battlesuit highlights Jill's body, it's not like Jill was exactly going to win a beauty contest considering the sickly paleness of her skin and the spider-veins on her chest around the P-30 device(one of the details I really liked in the game). If they had her all "Lara Crofted" in it--with ZERO physical blemishes, younger looking, non-pale--like nothing had ever happened to her body, I'd lean more towards it being nothing but a sexy ploy on Capcom's part. But it's just not the case given RE5's circumstances.

Yay, I know how much you loathe RE5 and all. I'm personally a little give or take with it. Some things I like, but so much of it was just wasted potential.

And if you wanna talk about sex appeal being strictly nothing but cheap fan service, what about this?

Spoiler:

Isn't she just as an unappealing use of a character because of this clear "fanservice"? Is her getting down to bikini level totally necessary for the plot? Certainly not, but I fail to see how it hurts anything. Just a little food for thought.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by valentinesdead?; 12-13-2010, 03:51 PM.
                    sigpic

Comment

• Will the discussion about costumes ever be trumped by gameplay/story?

Comment

• Originally posted by Humor Tumor View Post
                        Will the discussion about costumes ever be trumped by gameplay/story?
                        Well, from what I gather, story's a moot point since it takes place before RE5. To me, that doesn't matter. People claim that RE4 doesn't have such a significant place in the canon beyond introducing a few plot devices which Capcom would later use in RE5. That doesn't stop it from being, in execution (at certain points), more effective than RE5. The colmillos, the introduction of the novistadors, the introduction of the plaga spawns, they all worked in my opinion. RE5 has the reapers, and not much else.

No matter how little RE: Revelations contributes to the series' canon, if they can do something different with it then I'm game. Of course, any time a rep claims "it's gonna be scary" the phrase "Fear you can't forget" comes with it as a bad reminder.

Plus, what gameplay is there to discuss? I love the GIF of Jill watching some researcher get whacked by one of those new BOWs. Beyond that we have a few pictures.

Comment

• Originally posted by Humor Tumor View Post
                          Will the discussion about costumes ever be trumped by gameplay/story?
                          Well, the fact that they can't even get the character models accurate to what we've come to know them by (Jill's missing sunken eyes, Claire suddenly half-breed asian eyes and face, Krauser without his RE4 scars) seems to me they really don't give much a shit. . . .along with the fact, as Guardhouse mentioned, there's not really much to go on at this point except a few scraps of footage and info.
                          sigpic

Comment

They're not even trying anymore.
                            You sound surprised

Comment

...does the suit make sense? I may be wrong, but bar aquatic gear, is there any combat suit actually designed to be that tight, form fitting and such without any armour or gear? Wouldn't Jill have been equally effective in, say, some pants and a t-shirt?

Jill swim in the beginning or other part of the game. Then changes back to her costume seen in other gameplay videos. Instantaneous sense. For the wetsuit.

The battle suit can make sense if think that Jill was being controlled, and would wear whatever Wesker said her to. Maybe Wesker think that the suit was hot, just as the developers.
                              Last edited by Davi Redfield; 12-13-2010, 06:17 PM.

Comment

• Six pages discussing the aesthetics of the actual characters costume and model.
                                Yet, barely anything about Gameplay? Really?

Comment

Working...
                                X