No announcement yet.

Mass Effect 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hands-on with ME3. Spoiler alert: it's more of a shooter than ever. But is that a bad thing?

It all felt like a different game, like a different series even. Where Mass Effect 2 felt like a slightly tighter Mass Effect combat-wise, Mass Effect 3 is in an entirely different space. The familiar elements that need to be there are intact - powers and talents are still in the same menu wheel structure, and weapon types remain unchanged. You're not going to select an assault rifle and be shocked by its looks. But you will be taken aback by how well it works. I was. And now the wait to play Mass Effect 3 until 2012 is that much harder.
    Last edited by Vector; 06-02-2011, 01:51 PM.

Comment

• Hmmm. I guess it's gonna depend on exactly what they're doing - ME2 was fairly shooterish, and about as Shooter as I tend to enjoy. Short action scenes where you don't need hair trigger reflexes and eagle eyes to prevail. If it's more than that I may have an issue. Ah well. We shall see. Still gonna buy it.

Comment

• Enetirnel got me to play ME2 for my PS3. I love it and I'm currently at the point where I have all my crew. Cannot wait to play the third and even mooch Ene for a play through of the first game on her laptop.

Comment

• Originally posted by Smiley View Post
          Enetirnel got me to play ME2 for my PS3. I love it and I'm currently at the point where I have all my crew. Cannot wait to play the third and even mooch Ene for a play through of the first game on her laptop.
          Mooch, it, I was under the impression that I was going to make you play it regardless.

About the ME3 news, I hope it isn't much more of a shooter than ME2 and that we still have a bit of the RPG elements outside of the aforementioned weapon customization. I would like a return of some of the exploration missions, to an extent as I enjoyed the Mako missions and the Firewalker DLC.

Other than that, DM has more or less said what I feel about the shooter aspect.
          sigpic
          Non-blurry Signature Version
          Youtube | Steam | Website (Under Construction)

Comment

• Originally posted by Enetirnel View Post
            Mooch, it, I was under the impression that I was going to make you play it regardless.

About the ME3 news, I hope it isn't much more of a shooter than ME2 and that we still have a bit of the RPG elements outside of the aforementioned weapon customization. I would like a return of some of the exploration missions, to an extent as I enjoyed the Mako missions and the Firewalker DLC.

Other than that, DM has more or less said what I feel about the shooter aspect.
            ME3 being a lot more of a shooter is not a bad thing if it doesn't mean it's going to be less of an RPG. If that isn't the case, then... oh well.

Comment

• It depends. As I said, I'm crap at shooter games, and I didn't get into Mass Effect for the CoD style gameplay. I'll be very disappointed if it turns out to be a space themed squad based shooter (not that I expect BioWare to do that, but stupid decisions get made every day). I'm pretty sure it'll just be a nicer version of ME2's gameplay though. I would actually like some of the RPG elements brought back into ME3 as ME2 felt a little bare bones compared to the first game, but that's just a vague hope. ME2 was a superior game.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                It depends. As I said, I'm crap at shooter games, and I didn't get into Mass Effect for the CoD style gameplay. I'll be very disappointed if it turns out to be a space themed squad based shooter (not that I expect BioWare to do that, but stupid decisions get made every day). I'm pretty sure it'll just be a nicer version of ME2's gameplay though. I would actually like some of the RPG elements brought back into ME3 as ME2 felt a little bare bones compared to the first game, but that's just a vague hope. ME2 was a superior game.
                I don't think ME2 was a superior game, because it ditched the concept of RPG-Action mix, which ME1 did almost perfectly. Plus, tactical options in taking out enemies were rather limited, game was mostly run and blast/gun/usemagic. A lot of the gameplay was simplified and since the enemies were a lot less challenging (lack of Colossuses as standard enemies, for example, less agressive and less able Krogan). I did like a lot of aspects, but I didn't like the change in the fundamentals.

That being said, that's what I was talking about. If you don't sacrifice one aspect for another, but enhance both, then it's a win-win. I do sympathize with you on the whole ME turning into COD thing, unfortunately for you, we have less and less games where tactics over reflexes becomes a viable and actually a fun choice, not something which you do because of a few stupid .JPEG medals and trophies.

Because we all know that squad based shooters are usually babysitting games.

Comment

• I meant compared to most of the other games released that year. ME2 was better than a lot of those. I admit, I prefer playing 1. Creating a weapon can constantly fire hideous rounds without over heating is fun and destroying.

And honestly, I just don't like shooters. I very rarely play them - Bioshock 2 would have been the last one. But that's just me.

Comment

I meant compared to most of the other games released that year. ME2 was better than a lot of those. I admit, I prefer playing 1. Creating a weapon can constantly fire hideous rounds without over heating is fun and destroying.

And honestly, I just don't like shooters. I very rarely play them - Bioshock 2 would have been the last one. But that's just me.
                    That's only because you haven't played the good ones, my friend.

Comment

• Sometimes when I play Mass Effect 2, there's been one thing on my mind that just bugs me. When they made Mass Effect 2 available for release for the PS3, why didn't they also release the first Mass Effect on the PS3 as well?

I just think it's a bit silly of them to release the second Mass Effect game for the PS3, but not the first one. I just believe that it isn't fair for the PS3 gamers that they can't own the entire Mass Effect trilogy (once Mass Effect 3 gets released that is...) because the first Mass Effect game isn't available on the PS3.

I understand that they may not be able to do anything about it now, since the development team have most likely got their hands full with making Mass Effect 3 right now, but I just thought I'd just speak my mind on something regarding the series that just bothers me.

Comment

• I believe there was some legal mumbo jumbo going on about it, Microsoft had something to do with the first game' as they were the publisher.

And it used to happen in the UK all the time...we got Parasite Eve II but not the first one, and getting a copy over here is like owning gold dust. I keep my gold dus- I mean discs very carefully.

Comment

I believe there was some legal mumbo jumbo going on about it, Microsoft had something to do with the first game' as they were the publisher.
                          I've always thought that this was a possible reason why the first Mass Effect game hasn't got a PS3 port as well.

Comment

And it used to happen in the UK all the time...we got Parasite Eve II but not the first one, and getting a copy over here is like owning gold dust. I keep my gold dus- I mean discs very carefully.
                            Don't forget Xenosaga. They gave us Part II but not Part I.

Baffling.
                            See you in hell.

Comment

• Square just hates us.

Comment

• Wasn't it Namco who did Xenosaga?
                                See you in hell.

Comment

Working...
                                X