Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick 360 Region Question

Gather, fanatics, and report!

Essentially, some dude is, for various reasons, offering to send me some 360 games from the states. This pleases me, but some of them have DLC I also desire and I dunno if it'll give me grief.

So, basically...if I'm running American games on a British 360 will the DLC be an issue? Will I need an American X-Box live account or some such obscenity?

Some games are region free, others are not. VideoGamesPlus.ca and Play-asia.com tend to list whether or not specific releases in their product catalog are region locked to spefic regions. (Scene release NFOs for 360 rips also tend to list the region codes for the original source disc)

In general, games with worldwide launches or western developers tend to be region free. Also a lot of generic ASIA releases (as in not Japan, but "Asia in general") are also region free (or PAL+NTSC-J compatible)

Most western games that are region free have no problems with the DLC, same goes for Japanese made games that have had somewhat international releases within the same timeframe. Games that've been brought over by entirely different companies and such are a whole different issue, though... Also, for the non-English speakers, there are sometimes language specific DLC in certain regions.

Should the game for some reason be unavailable in a region and the DLC also unavailable, you'd have to fake an account for the region the game is from (easy to do, just sign up the account on xbox.com instead of via your console and then recover it on the console - if it's your first set of regional fake accounts; they'll come with a month of gold with your system too, as a console gives you 1 month gold for the first sets of accounts made on it)

If gamerscore matters and all that stuff to you; buying foreign DLC with one account on the console will tie the DLC to the console and the account, so no problems logging out with that account and logging back in with your main. Should you ever replace/repair/whatever your console; remember that you'll have to license transfer the DLC from all your international accounts too, should you ever want to use it again without being logged in with your international account(s).

Getting instant points on it without having to have a local credit card is easy too; just grab a regional point card from some online retailer that offers e-mailed redeem codes within the hour.
    Last edited by Carnivol; 01-10-2011, 06:46 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the info. Most of them are, according to that site, region free. So all systems are go.

Comment

Working...
      X