Milla Jovovich on RE Fanboys & RE Movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rehunk88 View Post
    I hope she dies soon xD 4 re movies with alice is 4 to many!
    Exactly what I was going to say! I'm number one in those 15 bitch! Hurry up and die you fucking rubbish actor.

Comment

Originally posted by Canas Renvall View Post
      Milla is a very good actress, as seen in stuff like The Fifth Element
      Hahahahahaha.

Cheeekan!
      Big badda boom!
      Mooltipass!

No.
      Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

I like her in the Fifth Element, and a couple of other movies. She can act, but it seems like she's got too much of an attatchment to Alice to do it any way but how she wants. Maybe RE is one movies series that could do with a random reboot...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
          Only 15?
          Yeah I can count at least 12 from this site. So there has to be more. And Milla is just as delusional as her husband.

Comment

Originally posted by CRedfield98 View Post
            Yeah I can count at least 12 from this site. So there has to be more. And Milla is just as delusional as her husband.
            And every single one of those 15 has seen all 4 RE flicks. Ain't that precious?

How about the gazillions that continue to support said films and are actual fans of them? What? They don't count?

But hey, don't let me get in the way of the hate-fest. Carry on... with the death wishes.

EDIT: I forgot that there were 4 RE films... Heh! I wrote 3 instead of 4... Give me a beak, I've only seen 2 of them!
            Last edited by Pikminister; 01-19-2011, 12:05 PM.
            Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
            sigpic

Comment

As I pointed out in another forum I don't feel that she's a bad actress. Just playing a bad character. It happens. For being a model-gone-actress she actually can act. And if given the right material Milla could be just as good of an action heroine as Weaver, Hamilton and Jolie.

I've enjoyed her work in Fifth Element, Zoolander, A Perfect Getaway, etc. To some degree the first RE movie was pretty decent back when there was an ounce of horror in the movie.

The problem is she's in a poor quality series that is highly successful only for the fact that they market on tough chicks with zombies. It works out as the ideal popcorn flick which is truthfully what most people look for in an action movie. I'm not going to argue that the games have an outstanding plot or fleshed out characters. Quite the opposite. They started out as campy survival horror and moved their way to campy action horror. Very few games in the series took themselves seriously, but one of them (which was my favorite) was REmake. Back to Paul Anderson.

Anderson's approach to adapting the games to film is very childish in that he pulls random elements from the games and half-asses them into a horrid messy plot. Certain creatures aren't as menacing, their origins are re-written, and some characters are just downright different people (Nicholai for instance).

What Paul does write in terms of originality also makes the quality of his films suffer. The whole world being destroyed creates limitations rather then adds more to the plot. It was always a fear that the outbreak couldn't be contained in the games and, they haven't managed to go that far yet. Umbrella just somehow continues its business and employs obedient men to continue experimenting with the virus despite the fact that their business is done for (with the world dead and all). Then of course there's Alice the Mary Sue goddess. I'm glad her powers are gone if only for the fact that it was getting boring seeing her destroy everything in her path. That said, it's not like the over-the-top action has stopped. In fact it inspires how the new RE games are played. Neck breaking with hands or thighs. Stylized leaps and kicks. The action certainly has gone up for both the games and movies.

I could and will go on once I finish up my reviews. But it's not like no one can see these things for themselves. Even if you like the games and the movies you have to admit they aren't the adaptations people were hoping for. Imagine if Paul Anderson was tasked to adapt the Lord of the Rings to film? It's not a matter of what liberties he would take, but rather is he a good enough writer to begin with? I don't think so.
              Last edited by Smiley; 01-19-2011, 01:29 PM.

Comment

Thing is, Anderson can be a good director. Event Horizon is testament to this, as I'm sure many of you here will agree. Problem is, he seems unable to move away from directing Resident Evil films. While it will generate a lot of revenue for Hollywood, I believe that the consistently poor reviews will dampen Anderson's reputation. So when he does get round to directing an original film that doesn't have a large pre-existing fanbase, people are going to think of him as "that guy who directed those terrible RE movies". As such, they will subsequently assume that this original work he does will also be bad - when it could in fact be a superb film. I speak about the general public here.

Then again, he might have been intentionally going for a cheesy B-movie quality with the RE films. In which case he has succeeded, but it's just done to a point where it ostracises the less flexible members of the fanbase, the stalwart loyalists.

Just to elaborate, my qualm with the RE movies isn't the fact that they go crazy with established series lore, but the fact that Alice is pretty much a Mary Sue who interacts with familar faces and fan favourites from the video game series, and pretty much overwhelms any scene with them in. Jill Valentine is a prime example of this, a major protagonist in the video games, relegated to a supporting role behind Alice and we never even hear from her again. In fact her disappearance isn't even explained as far as I know.

Almost every single primary character from the video games is overshadowed by Alice, and that's what bothers me. I don't think that Milla Jovovich is a particulary good actress either.
                Last edited by Mr. Spencer; 01-19-2011, 01:44 PM.
                See you in hell.

Comment

Yeah. I'm in the Spencer boat. I like it there.

While I was disapointed when Apocolypse moved away from the style of the first one and started pissing around with the canon cast, it wasn't that which completely broke me. It was the combination of it being a pretty crappy action movie, as they go, the Mary Sueness of Alice becomming the sole and only character of importance, and what I feel was almost a deliberate disrespect to the game fans.

I mean, yes, Nemesis in your movie is different. OK, fine. But did you really need to make him so pathetic? He was such a monster in the games, and in the movies he was a joke. Then there are any characters with the name of a game character...none of them actually act like the character, and most look nothing like them either. It seems it was done either to appease the fans, or piss them off more. I wish I knew which.

Comment

Oh well, I'm not an avid fan of the movies, I'll watch the first two if nothing else is on and they appear on TV, but a random reboot would be good.

All they'd have to do to get me to go to the cinema is flash the title resident evil, then just flash Romero's name around the screen in a fashion that would cause epilepcy and that would be all the incentive i'd need to go see it.

As they say different folks, different strokes, but internal arguments lead to compromises and compromises lead to other issues. I can safely say I have not seen the new film nor plan to.

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                      Yeah. I'm in the Spencer boat. I like it there.
                      See you in hell.

Comment

That is the most terrifying thing I've seen to day. I love it.

Comment

I have nothing against Milla, she's a decent actress and can look quite pretty at times...but the RE movies are abominations. They're abortions. They're just awful. I can't blame her for that, though...she's just doing her job. And no one's forcing me to watch them anymore, so I don't.

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisRedfield29 View Post
                            she's just doing her job.
                            Paul W.S. Anderson?

Comment

Read Romeros script, then judge the movies.

Comment

- Alice was created so non-fans can jump into the movie without knowing the history of the character.
                                I can't stop laughing, Jill was introduced in the game like... "HI! I'M JILL, MASTER OF UNLOCKING! I have a big chest, I can unlock doors and I wear a beret. Barry assists me." Not a very complicated backstory to summarize.

Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
                                How about the gazillions that continue to support said films and are actual fans of them? What? They don't count?
                                They don't really hate her, she isn't meeting up to alot of peoples' expectations and that's why they find her obnoxious. No one's stopping her from getting professional level dramatic training (and basic music lessons) to be sexy AND competent.
                                Last edited by The_15th; 01-19-2011, 06:10 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X