Krieg's Status

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Krieg's Status

Where to begin on this one. Well I suppose from the start.

I was approached by Krieg, who was looking for an NR Reader at the time for some "Balders Gate" Prototypes he apparently had bought. He asked if I could find him one for cheap and in return he would give me 4 demo's I was missing from my OPM collection (Later turned out to only be 2). I declined any extra money, as I was making friends with Krieg over the past few months and slowly letting him know more and more about the inner workings of THIA and more importantly betas. He would talk about his past job experience, like working for his grandfathers book publishing company and even his dreams of becoming a beta tester.

Using my connections in the communities I landed an NR Reader at a great price for Krieg. Had he done this himself he would likely be paying double if not triple the amount I would pay. The person I ordered the NR Reader off unfortunately fell Ill and they were unable to send it right away. So time lagged on for a few weeks. It wasn't soon after this period of inactivity that Krieg confided in me that the NR Reader wasn't for Baulders Gate Prototypes but rather a Resident Evil 4 Prototype which he purchased for $500.00. I was a bit skeptical at first, but it hadn't arrived yet apparently as the seller was being a bit lazy. I asked him repeatedly who it was that sold him it, but he would not say. I even offered to give my experience (if any) with the person, as I was a long standing member on the board where he bought it from.

He told me he would email the seller and get some pictures as he apparently SAVED THEM AND COULDNT FIND THEM. So I agreed and the next day he sent me two pictures. They both featured the masked monks from early shots of Resident Evil 4. I was excited, and told him how much of a great find it was. There was no doubt the pictures were of a real build with the masked monks in them. A day or so later I approached him and asked him if he would be willing to sell it to me, or make a deal, since he couldn't play it when it arrived because he had no NR Reader still. After some negotiations we agreed that I would send him ISO's of two prototypes I purchased. It was a big loss for me, as I paid quite a bit more than I revealed to Krieg that day, saying they were both totaling to around $550.

For this, I was to receive his Prototype, rip it, and send him the ISO so he could play it as well. We both agreed that he would not speak of what I had given him, but I was free to do with as I pleased with his version. I was already planning a feature for it when suddenly he changed his end of the deal and said I was not allowed to release it but covering it was ok. Reluctantly I agreed, with the hope that he would change his mind (as with all the prototypes I gain that are not under NDA to not release, I intend to release them when doing so is safe from legal recourse for both me and the seller as well as the original source).

A few days later he told me he emailed the seller asking him for a video and tracking info (as per my suggestion), and after a day or so he let me know the seller responded saying that he threw out the receipt already but he sent me a video that the seller supposedly sent him, it was again of the monks but this time it was real live action. It was genuine for sure, I was certain of it. Part of our deal thatI was reluctant about was, he asked that I sent him my parts first. I was very suspicious of this, but given the screens and how well I thought I knew Krieg I agreed. I told him I would password the files inside a Rar and give him the password upon receiving the prototype from him. This wasn't good enough for him though, He needed to see them working on his Cube.

So I changed the deal where I would send him Disc 1 of one of the prototypes, and he would see it works on his Cube. I did so that day to avoid any delay when the disc arrived at his house. He found it to work, and the next day let me know that by tomorrow it would be at his home. So I sent the rar with the rest of the ISO's inside it to him overnight.

Late afternoon he let me know UPS arrived and Dropped it off, I asked for pictures of it with his name near it and he provided them. I asked for a specific one (his hand giving the finger) and he obliged (Little did I know how well this would suit the deal).

He mailed it out the next day as the ISO's were already in his possession. He sent it via his university DHL drop box/shop, and gave me tracking. While it was on its way to me he thanked me for providing him with them and assured me that no one would know what he has. He kept sending pictures and telling me how great the prototypes I sent him were.

So finally later in the day on Jan 25th, DHL drops the box at my door. I woke up (now fairly late in the day, I was exhausted and half asleep when I heard it). So I rushed to the door, opened the box and with my naked eyes (i wear glasses) confirmed that it was an NR disc. I set it down for when I wake up, and went o sleep a happy camper.

1:00AM, Jan 26th. I woke up, two hours away from work. Plenty of time to sink my teeth into it. So I walk over to my NR Reader, put it in and power the Cube on. Except I'm thrown to the browser instead of booting the game. What the?

I take the disc out, inspect it and see that it has a fake label! Its printed out! I thought to myself that the bastard who sold it to him has sent him a copy and was keeping the original. So I opened my retail cube and booted it.

FAILURE. I'm thrown to the browser here as well. What. The. Fuck.

Realizing he was ripped off I pop on aim, and message Krieg (actual transcript) with the mindset of finding who sold him the disc, and eating their brains:

Dot50Cal: Who sold you this
    Auto response from Krieg747: im sorry.
    I'm sorry is his auto response..what?? I try to get his attention again:

Dot50Cal: Right now, tell me
    Krieg747: no one
    Dot50Cal: What?
    Krieg747: im sorry
    Krieg747: did you find the letter in the cd case
    Dot50Cal: You better explain yourself, and fast
    Krieg747: i made that beta
    Krieg747: i made it to try and trick you out of your prototypes becuase of all the things youve done to insult me and tease me
    Krieg747: thats about it
    Krieg747: i hacked it myself
    Utter dis-belief comes across me. This isn't possible he is my friend, the models I seen...I search for answers:

Dot50Cal: Where did you get the models from?
    Krieg747: im sorry
    Krieg747: they're unused files on the trial
    Krieg747: by adding maps to the trial, the models activate and become used after you change a few offsets
    It then hits me, he totally screwed me. I turn the disc over and nothing is even burned on it. He even failed to send me a proper release of his hacked version. I then look for a note he mentioned, its in the back cover of the CD Case. I open it up and read it (3 pages). Displayed here (some things censored to protect the innocent):

Extremely upset, but searching for as to how he did this, I press on asking him more questions. I evolve mark in the conversation, someone who knows a hell of a lot about hex editing and hacking. After a while we realize he isn't kidding and that he actually did hack it, trying to find more information I ask him if he would like to join Mark and I and work on a feature involving these. He agrees and in his excitement reveals that he is not in fact the master of hacking, but rather he simply copied and pasted the maps from the retail release into the Trial Edition and then loaded the maps, which then used the beta enemy models from the trial as the enemies.

He had been bragging this whole time about hacking something so simple that it was one of the first things that Mark and I tried. We of course failed at that on the first try and assumed that it just wouldn't work, so we left it.

It became apparent that I had made a mistake in asking him to join our group. He was clearly not offering anything when it came to hacking, except common sense that Mark and I overlooked. Realizing that this would be easier if I had a working ISO of what he did, I played the fool and ended the night with his fate being OK (hence his post on bioflames where he said APRIL FOOLS to leaving). He had calculated this for months. Shocked and Hurt, I went to work while mulling over his fate. It was there that I realized the only thing I could do. He couldn't be trusted. If he is that dedicated to this by pretending to be my friend for all this time and having no qualms about stabbing me in the back then he cannot be part of us anymore. Not only this but Mark informed me that he screwed him on a deal earlier (though for something much less rare, a promo copy of a game) in the same manner, giving him a hacked up ISO which had game shark cheats embedded into it when he was told it was a prototype.

So here I sit waiting for him to send me the ISO today, so I can confirm hes just a script kiddie who ruined his reputation for two prototypes (both of which were planned to be released). Once this happens this letter will be posted on Bioflames, THIA, and Assembler as proof of his traitorous act. He will be banned most assuredly and his name will be forever known as that of a criminal, liar and a thief. It is here that I post the relevant details of this person, without giving enough away for someone to harm him, but rather to know not to do business with this person. If you are currently dealing with him, I suggest cutting off all contact if you haven't sent anything to him. For, if he could do this to someone who has known him for this long there is no telling what he will do to people he met, not even the fact that I still have his (or will, as it hasn't arrived yet) NR Reader deterred him from enacting his sinister plan. So if you are counting on the shame, or even personal loss that he would incur if he were to go back on his word during a trade do not, for he has shown that he will use any means.

Robert Krieger aka "Krieg747"

Malabar, FL 32950 (Home?)

He is a member on Assembler -http://www.assemblergames.com/forums/member.php?u=1926

PS> Since that was a long story and reading it made you invest a lot of time, for the curious. I will be refunding his money he paid me for the NR Reader, Im not a slimebag as he is. He can now find an NR Reader for full price, and hes going to need a lot of luck with the reputation he has built for himself.
    Last edited by Dot50Cal; 01-27-2007, 06:14 PM.

This is something out of a really bad thriller.. Too weird.

Comment

Wow...just wow. I'm very surprised that someone would go to that much trouble to deceive you like that. =/

Really wow I never thought anyone would do this....I'm speechless.

It's good to see you're not stooping as low as he did though John, refunding the money and all.

Comment

Wow, that's a fair bit to read and a lot thats happened there, all just to mess you around like that. Good on you for refunding the money, although not sure what to say on the rest of it :S

I think I can class myself close to speechless there as well =\

Comment

Working...
        X