Resident Evil: The Mercenaries Preview Article

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil: The Mercenaries Preview Article

Siliconera has a new article which talks about Resident Evil: The Mercenaries game.

The demo unit they played was the same one where you only have 2 stages with 4 characters. If you haven't know by now, the title will have 30 missions, with new objectives other than the "killing everything on sight within the time limit".

While each character has assigned weapons in the demo, players will get to select their equipment in Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D. The game also has a skill tree system, which wasn’t available. A Capcom rep likened it to a "talent tree."

Siliconera also goes slightly in depth with the characters' characteristic and style in the game:
    Chris Redfield has a handgun, rifle, and a shotgun to blast groups of enemies. He feels like the "base" character with no specific advantages or disadvantages.

This is Clarie Redfield’s first time in a Mercenaries game. Capcom gave her a handgun, a grenade launcher, and a sniper rifle. The latter wasn’t really useful because if you stand still long enough a zombie is guaranteed to pounce on you. Claire’s melee attack takes two hits to kill an enemy, so if she is interrupted an enemy can escape.

Krauser comes to battle holding a bow, knife, and rocket launcher. The first thing I did with Krauser was test the rocket launcher and it can kill a group fast, but ammunition is scarce. The bow is Krauser’s primary weapon and it has unlimited ammo. However, it takes at least two shots to take down one enemy.

Hunk may be the most "powerful" character out of the four characters Capcom brought to Game Developer’s Conference. He has a handgun, electrifying grenade launcher, and assault rifle. You could spray bullets with Hunk, but a Capcom representative suggested a different strategy. With Hunk you can shoot enemies in their knees and finish them off with a melee attack to add five seconds to the clock.
    Siliconera

Like the sound of customising your weapon set means you can go who you like rather than who has the best weapons. Although this was more of a issue in RE4 when you had to get 50,000 with everyone. The talent tree seems intriguing 'spose they needed to dd extra mileage to what was once a side game . . .
    sigpic

Comment

not really interested in this merc's game but why the hell do they call the majini's zombies.They aren't zombies.
      Last edited by BrionIrons; 03-12-2011, 07:45 AM.
      sigpic
      www.unitedstateslines.net

Comment

how the hell you know there aren't zombies in some classic maps?
        Spoiler:

Comment

Fight Fight XD

Comment

Here's another recent preview that talks about the gameplay as well...

I played two levels in the demo and I tried out four characters — Chris Redfield, Claire Redfield, Hunk and Jack Krauser. They each had their own loadouts that will force players to use different strategies when attacking the infected and other creatures. If that weren’t enough, there’s also unlockable upgrades that act like a perk system.

For those who haven’t played it before, the mercenaries mode is all about surviving and killing enemies within a time limit. When playing, I sometimes struggled to stay alive, running away from an overwhelming mass of infected, and other times, I was jamming so much that I was trying to find breakable pink statues that would give me more time to up my score.

I found out that when i did particularly well, and lasted a long time, the game would spawn bosses and that would make the level incredibly difficult. What’s notable about Mercenaries 3D is that the designers don’t mind mixing and matching different bosses and creatures between the two games. Players can see a chainsaw-wielding farmer (Resident Evil 4 villain) in an African market place (Resident Evil 5 setting) or hammer-swinging boss (Resident Evil 5 bad guy) in a European town (Resident Evil 4 locale). The enemy types will be mixed and matched through the game’s 30 missions.

One thing to note: The 3D in this game is immersive. It certainly helped me judge my aiming. It also gave me a better sense of the environment. I always felt that there was an infected lurking behind me. It’s one of the best uses of 3D I’ve seen on the system so far. Add in an online leaderboard and Resident Evil: The Mercenaries 3D jumps near the top of my to-play list when it’s released later this year.

Source: Nintendo 3DS previews: Super Street Fighter IV and Resident Evil: Mercenaries 3D
            Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
            sigpic

Comment

Huh, so it was a misunderstanding and the 30 "stages" referred to missions. Oh well, I enjoy the idea of seeing bosses from 4 appear in 5 and vice versa. It'll have a new difficulty with the potential for reapers at the RE4 castle stage and garradors in the RE5 mines. The weapon selection is just icing on the cake, it allows players to go for those handgun only or grenade only runs, if possible.
              Last edited by GuardhouseMusic; 03-12-2011, 01:30 PM.

Comment

The 30 missions is kind of a disappointment I thought they might lets us play in Raccoon City or the Spencer Estate
                "Admit it, you're going to miss this ass" - Chloe Frazer

Comment

Originally posted by Dark_Chris View Post
                  how the hell you know there aren't zombies in some classic maps?
                  because mecr's 3d is only going to have the re4 and 5 merc's stages.DUH.
                  Last edited by BrionIrons; 03-13-2011, 07:56 AM.
                  sigpic
                  www.unitedstateslines.net

Comment

30 missions, not 30 stages?.... Man, thats a major let down

Comment

It's possible to actually hear the interest in this game plummet with that announcement.

Comment

A sorta collective groan eh . . . I wasn't overly psyched for this game but still had a kinda "one-eye-on-you" approach but for a stand alone merc game to only be 30 missions sucks this sounds more suited to 360/PS3 DLC now . . .
                        sigpic

Comment

I actually don't get what they mean with "Missions"

:S

Comment

Hmmmmm.........

Since they mentioned that there are some story elements in this game, maybe (just maybe) a particular set of missions take place in a particular stage.

Check this out:

RE1 = 5 missions
                            RE2 = 5 missions
                            RE3 = 5 missions
                            RE4 = 5 missions
                            C:V = 5 missions
                            RE5 = 5 missions

TOTAL = 30 MISSIONS

Whaddda you think?
                            Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
                            sigpic

Comment

I would love to see something like Uncharted 2 co-op missions
                              Spoiler:

Comment

Working...
                              X