Resident Evil: Raccoon City announced [Officially confirmed: Post 273]

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Resident Evil: Raccoon City announced [Officially confirmed: Post 273]

Titled as Resident Evil: Raccoon City, as rumoured beforehand, the game sees you on opposite sides of the spectrum as members of the Umbrella Security Services Squad rather than BSAA.

Unlike the latter, where you just take out zombies, gunning for Umbrella is all about destroying evidence and killing T-Virus survivors from the 1998 Raccoon City outbreak.

There are two other factions to make a “three corner conflict” according to Capcom: US spec ops and bio-organic monsters created by Umbrella.

Your team is made up of four members: Vector, Beltway, Bertha, and Spectre. Depending on who you pick to play as, its goals and aims will vary.

The magazine adds that “you’ll be facing Umbrella-created horrors in between skirmishes” with each faction. It also says the game will allow you to “change the history of Resident Evil,” with many characters from the series making appearances. You’ll also be allowed to kill them.

The reports says that it’ll be coming to 360 and PS3 later this fall.

More details below:

According to a StickSkills report, former SOCOM developer Slant Six's much speculated Resident Evil effort has been unv…
    Last edited by Mr. Spencer; 03-24-2011, 11:51 AM.
    See you in hell.

Can anyone hear that? It's the sound of even Outbreak fans not being sure haha

Calling it now "team-based shooter", this won't end well.

In fact yeah having read the details here i'm not all that excited at all.

Doesn't state whether it's FPS or not though, think that's a big thing now, could essentially just be an L4D skin.
    Last edited by Stu; 03-24-2011, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Nice.

Sounds like mutliplayer oriented, let's hope it provides a decent single player experience as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Spencer View Post
        It also says the game will allow you to “change the history of Resident Evil,”
        Multiple endings / Branching storylines?

Oh! I welcome thee with such open arms! I think I like this game already.

Comment

More Details

* The game takes place in 1998, a time where Resident Evil fans already know what's set to take place. The title lets you enjoy the series from a new perspective, as the men and women who are technically responsible for it all.
          * Rather than continuing the zombie slaying antics of BSAA agents, you're taken back to the original outbreak "that underscored both Resident Evil 2 and Resident Evil 3: Nemesis."
          * The game doesn't require any crazy amounts of knowledge of the past titles or characters involved in the series. The title opens up to a "quartet of new faces". Essentially, you're playing as members of the official Umbrella Security Services squad.
          * Operation Raccoon City is a team-based shooter allowing four members of the USS team to destroy all evidence of the ongoing outbreak. Along with slaying the zombies, you're looking to "kill pretty much every survivor possible".
          * The gameplay is described as "dirty", and the series will feel much darker than it has up to this point.
          * The game features three factions that Capcom has stated make up a "three-corner conflict". The other two factions are the US Spec Ops, who are there to repel the USS, and the "bio-organic weapon monsters (BOWs) created by Umbrella.
          * The USS team is made up of the following characters: Vector, Beltway, Bertha, and Spectre. Depending on which character you choose, the responsibilities that you're asked to do within your team will variate.
          * Hunk, first seen in Resident Evil 2 as a hidden character, is the inspiration behind the USS team.
          * "Whichever team you play on, you'll be facing Umbrella-created horrors in between skirmishes with each other".
          * Zombies in the game can sense you in three different manners: sight, sound, and smell.
          * A situation is described in the game where Vector cloaks himself to stir up previously slumbering zombies to use against the Special Ops military foes.
          * Quite a few scenarios in the game aren't "all about headshots". A quote in the article states, "It's about shooting the other soldiers - manipulating the, making them bleed."
          * The game will take you through a number of familiar areas if you're a Resident Evil junkie who remembers your journey to Raccoon City.
          * Operation Raccoon City, depending on how you play the game, will give you the option to "change the history of Resident Evil". Not only will you have the chance to meet and interact with various characters from the series, but you'll even have the opportunity to kill them.
          * One of th mottos repeated to OXM throughout the demo was "Kill Leon". It's also stated that if you choose to represent in the game as the Special Ops team, that you'd more than likely have the goal of trying to save Leon Kennedy.
          * Slant Six or Capcom won't reveal if any other characters will be playable in the title just yet, but it'd make sense to see quite a few big cameos.
          * The title will still see players relying on collecting herbs to heal from any attacks you may suffer. You won't need to hoard any herbs, but they'll still benefit you to collect them throughout the game.
          * "This is not a one-versus-one game where you've got one clip full of ammo and zombies on you. If you've ever thought of those times in an RE game when you thought, 'I'd wish I had a big gun', that's what this game is. It's not fair to give people big guns, then take all the ammo away."
          * One of the pictures in the article showcases a zombie being used as a "meatshield".
          * Operation Raccoon City allows players to earn XP for kills, with these points helping you survive the onslaught, and to help to encourage you to anihilate everything in your path.
          * The XP will allow you to earn new abilities, such as Vector's cloaking skill, and new weapons.
          * Tyrants will most definitely be included in the title.
          sigpic

Comment

I have to admit, I burst out laughing given how many times it's been stated this game is dead and gone. That said, it doesn't sound too appealing to me. Same boat as Mercs...no additional story elements are likely to come out of it and any that do are going to be difficult to classify as canon because of it's nature.

Also, I like my RE games with more than shooting shit up.

Comment

I may be all for this, providing it's not a FPS game. The market is too saturated with FPS games, that I'm actually put off by them. But something tells me this will be a FPS game, if it is being made by the creators of Socom.

I want another Outbreak game as well, but this is probably as close to it as we are going to get.
              My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
              ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

Originally posted by Darkmoon View Post
                Also, I like my RE games with more than shooting shit up.
                True story, this title seems to do away with all the subtlety of previous titles. I mean " If you've ever thought of those times in an RE game when you thought, 'I'd wish I had a big gun', that's what this game is. It's not fair to give people big guns, then take all the ammo away." I dunno if it's me...but i've never felt that once when i was playing Resident Evil!

Not going to write the title off just yet, need to see a lot more before i'm convinced...but it's about as sluggish a start as i can imagine!

Comment

I'm calling it now, I expect we'll see Nicholai in this.
                  See you in hell.

Comment

That sounds quite good, and all of this new Resident Evil content/news coming. It's giving the forum a nice birth of energy again.

Comment

Not sure if want.

Comment

Yeah it sounds weird.
                        sigpic

Comment

A lot of what I read in that big list posted by aris13 sounds "Outbreak-ish" to me, which is a good thing. I'm looking forward to seeing some screenshots. And what's also good is that we won't have to wait long. It's due out later this year!
                          My YouTube Channel - www.youtube.com/user/RetroRain2
                          ROM Hacking Forum - acmlm.kafuka.org

Comment

Um... If it takes place in 1998, the BSAA shouldn't exist.

Even if this isn't canon, that's a stupid plothole.

Comment

Not exactly Outbreak file 3 but hell I'm excited.

Comment

Working...
                              X