Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nintendo 3DS Released! (Also, Friend Codes here)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I have to agree with PracticalAl in the sense that the DS also had a terrible start. It had no interesting games at launch and it took time before it became the handheld champ. The DS has like 150 million users at present.

Now, you also got the example set by the PSP. It was considered dead and buried like 2-3 years ago. And yet its topping the charts in Japan.

However, things are different now... casuals - which made a big chunk of the handheld user base - seem more interested in the uber popular mobile devices that are stealing the 3DS's thunder. The iPad and similar tablets are the 'in' thing to own these days. The 3DS (and soon the Vita) is being negatively affected by casuals moving away from traditional gaming devices. Because as everyone knows, no gaming console/handheld can be on top unless it has casuals on its side. Just look at the PS1, PS2, Wii and yes, the PS3 & 360 and its legions of CoD players (who won't play much else).

3DS needs more casuals supporting it. Just Core gamers alone isn't enough (not for Ninty's shareholders... that's for sure).

And yeah, that 3DS add-on sure brings back memories of those craptacular SEGA peripherals.
    Last edited by Pikminister; 09-08-2011, 03:49 PM.
    Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
      I have to agree with PracticalAl in the sense that the DS also had a terrible start. It had no interesting games at launch and it took time before it became the handheld champ. The DS has like 150 million users at present.

Now, you also got the example set by the PSP. It was considered dead and buried like 2-3 years ago. And yet its topping the charts in Japan.

However, things are different now... casuals - which made a big chunk of the handheld user base - seem more interested in the uber popular mobile devices that are stealing the 3DS's thunder. The iPad and similar tablets are the 'in' thing to own these days. The 3DS (and soon the Vita) is being negatively affected by casuals moving away from traditional gaming devices. Because as everyone knows, no gaming console/handheld can be on top unless it has casuals on its side. Just look at the PS1, PS2, Wii and yes, the PS3 & 360 and its legions of CoD players (who won't play much else).

3DS needs more casuals supporting it. Just Core gamers alone isn't enough (not for Ninty's shareholders... that's for sure).

And yeah, that 3DS add-on sure brings back memories of those craptacular SEGA peripherals.
      Anything with Monster Hunter in it tops in Japan's charts.

Comment

• Hmm, I was all ready to get a 3DS...I was even going to get the Flame Red or whatever that came out a few days ago...But after seeing that they are already toying with upgrades, I can't rationally do it. I was annoyed when I got my DS and then the DSlite or whatever came out a few months later. Stupid me for not researching the thing before I bought one.

Also, the lack of games has become apparent to me. The only real reason I wanted one was to have portable Mercenaries. Sometimes I'm sitting at work just thinking about Resident Evil 5..."Must...Play...MERCENARIES! Will...Cobra Strike...Customers!"

And hopefully, the "new" 3DS won't look as bulky. This new analog thing...No, ma'am, I am not amused. It needs to look a bit more prettyful than that. Plus, I'm sure even better colors are around the bend...
        sigpic

Comment

• If you're only buying it for games like mercenaries I wouldn't be suprised if there was a Merc/Revelations bundle down the road. Otherwise you can still pick it up for $20 now. See what kind of 3DS games come out then.

Comment

• So I finally got my hands on my 3DS. A pretty darn good console so far. Updating it at the moment, to see all the features.
            Played the first 6 misions of Mercs 3D. I suck LOL. Not bad for a portable game, this is exactly what I expected of this; but the Revelations demo was kind of short.
            3D photos are quite cool!

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

• Footage from Revelations was shown today in Nintendo's 3DS Japan conference. I'm not sure if it was anything new, though. Iwata spoke for a bit about it. I hope it gets translated soon!

(Also, no new 3DS redesign was mentioned or even the dual slide pad. I bet that whole slide pad thing was CAPCOM's creation for Monster Hunter Tri-G/Monster Hunter 4, and not Nintendo's.. ..)
              Last edited by PracticalAl; 09-12-2011, 11:40 PM.
              sigpic

Comment

• Nintendo not gonna announce a new hardware design for 3DS now even if they are planning it. They've has enough bad publicity and backlash and if they announced it now it would just create more and worse for them put a major halt on 3DS sales.

I believe they will do it, devs are putting pressure on Nintendo now, wait until Vita releases and devs have more freedom to work with on that.
                Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaneco View Post
                  Anything with Monster Hunter in it tops in Japan's charts.
                  Well, guess what?

Today at Nintendo's pre-TGS press conference, they revealed that aside from Monster Hunter 3GS (an enhanced port of the Wii version), Capcom is also making MONSTER HUNTER 4 for the 3DS as well.

They also revealed a weird Final Fantasy game for the 3DS... its a tune-based music game with crazy graphics.

Other games seen at the press event: MGS Solid Snake, Ace Combat, a new Tekken game, Cinderella Life (RPG), Fatal Frame, Fire Emblem and a Dragon Quest game. And some other games that I missed.

They also didn't mention anything about the extra-analog slide-pad. Iwata talked about the 3DS having relevant firmware updates, though.

It also seems that the extra analog is not really needed to play Monster Hunter 3GS. It really seems to be something designed for those that cannot play games using 1 analog (poor saps). If true, then those of us that got the current version of the 3DS have nothing to worry about... right?
                  Last edited by Pikminister; 09-13-2011, 01:03 AM.
                  sigpic

Comment

• http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardwa...ies/index.html
                    http://www.nintendo.co.jp/3ds/hardwa...pad/index.html

Pretty sure these are the games using the second analog.

Comment

• Originally posted by Smiley View Post
                      Oh fuck. I hope REvelations and MGS won't need that terrible add-on, and it's just optional support.
                      Last edited by Beanovsky Durst; 09-13-2011, 02:47 AM.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

• Originally posted by Beanovsky Durst View Post
                        Oh fuck. I hope REvelations and MGS won't need that terrible add-on, and it's just optional support.
                        It's been already confirmed as an optional control scheme.

Consider it a la Classic Controller for those who can't handle innovation.

Comment

• Touchscreen camera is not innovaion, it is awkward to use shitness.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaneco View Post
                            It's been already confirmed as an optional control scheme.

Consider it a la Classic Controller for those who can't handle innovation.
                            Exactly.

Games like Monster Hunter 3GS simply have compatibility with the extra analog add-on. It's like RE4 Wii Edition being compatible with the GameCube controller or the classic pad. Using them is not required to play the game. Its just an option.

The extra analog is there as an option for all those fellas that complained that they cannot possibly play a FPS or anything in 3D without using 2 analogs.

In fact, Nintendo already explained pretty much that when they revealed the list of games that support the extra analog:

Monster Hunter 3G
                            Resident Evil Revelations
                            Metal Gear Solid Snake Eater 3D
                            Ace Combat 3D Cross Rumble
                            Dynasty Warriors VS
                            Kingdom Hearts 3D

Again, the extra anlog is just an option to play these games. Its not a requirement.
                            sigpic

Comment

• Very naive thinking there. This just means they can release the game with a horrible/flawed/broken control scheme and say "For the best experience buy the extention pad".

The Wii Motion+ didn't even make it to release before 'add-on' became 'will not work without'.

Look at how sudden these devs are supporting this thing, no doubt there was a lot of pressure from them for Nintendo to give it the go ahead.
                              Last edited by Dracarys; 09-13-2011, 01:17 PM.

Comment

• It's not a requirement, for now...until they come out with the inevitable 3DS redesign that includes the second nub.

Comment

Working...
                                X