Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nintendo 3DS Released! (Also, Friend Codes here)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I actually think that its very naive to think this 2nd analog add-on will be a must-have requirement for 99.9% of the games that are made for the 3DS either now or in the future.

It's clear to me now, that the slide-pad analog is merely an option. An option designed exclusively for users that can't handle 1-analog gaming. The ones that grew up with the dualshock. For them, Ninty made this add-on.

And its not comparable at all to the Motion Plus add-on which was required to play Wii games designed to work with it. For instance, you will not be able to play the next Zelda without the wii motion plus. Yet you will be able to play every single 3DS game now in development even if you don't have the 2nd analog add-on. So there's no comparison.
    Last edited by Pikminister; 09-13-2011, 02:01 PM.
    Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
    sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
      An option designed exclusively for users that can't handle 1-analog gaming. The ones that grew up with the dualshock. For them, Ninty made this add-on.
      Most games now cannot handle 1 analogue gaming, not unless they want to resemble some outdated relic from the 90s or at best last gen.

FPS is the easiest genre to make an example of, look at the control options we have.

1. Stick used to aim, XYBA to move forward/back/sidestep. Leaves only L and R buttons and D-pad. No adjusting movement speed with this method, limited buttons.

2. Stick use to move forward/back/turn. YXBA to sidestep/Look up and down. Still leaves only L, R, D-pad and no sensitivity in the aiming.

3. Stick to move forward/back/sidestep. Touchscreen to aim with a spring to centre on release. Frees YXBA buttons but pressing them and R especially is just awkward as hell and requires stop aiming to use them.

Imagine trying to play CoD with all the instant commands, accuracy, speed it requires.
      Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

• Yeah, I've heard the same argument about 'modern games' needing 2 analogs. For recent gamers, that's a valid argument, but for some gamers that been at this thing for a while... not so much.

For a lot of FPS games, I've had no need of them at all. I can deal with 1 analog or even a D-pad to play said games (like you can do on the DS... a relatively 'modern' handheld). And I've had no need of them on a PC either.

During the N64 days I played every FPS available for it (Doom 64, Turok 1, 2 & 3, Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, Armorines, Duke Nukem Zero Hour, etc.). And as you know, the N64 controller had 1 single analog stick. And it never was an issue just having one of 'em.

Even on the Wii, you only have one analog to play with most FPS. And I've had long time PC FPS gamers tell me that playing FPS on said console (in terms of gameplay) is the best option there is aside from using a keyboard and a mouse.

But Nintendo agrees with you that some gamers that are relatively new, have come to expect playing with two analogs and thus why they are selling this add-on. Made especially for them.

As for me... I won't get it. Its too bulky.
        Last edited by Pikminister; 09-13-2011, 03:53 PM.
        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by KylieDog View Post
          Touchscreen camera is not innovaion, it is awkward to use shitness.
          Says you...same goes to the people who think that controlling a camera with a mouse, not a joystick, is crap and vice-versa.

Metroid Prime Hunters had one of the best FPS controllers I've ever played, it brings both of best worlds.

Well, it's a matter of opinion and not a fact whether they're shitty or not....just like your comment.

The fact is....Touchscreen controls is indeed an innovation because it expands and adds to the experience, not take away.

Comment

• I'm with Pikminister. Revelations plays just fine in the demo wihtout a second analog pad. As does Mercenaries. I think the dual analog pad is a nice option for people who prefer it, and nothing more. Besides, none of the games that utilize it will require it. Everyone wins, right? ^^'..

..And even if Nintendo does redesign the 3DS with a second analog pad someday, it won't make the previous models useless. Nintendo's constant handheld revisions have never rendered the previous ones completely obsolete. All DS games can be played on fat, lite, DSi, and XL systems..
            sigpic

Comment

• Here is some more info on it, My first thought when I saw this was' Nintendo..Why are you pulling a SEGA?" This is Bad...BAD!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kaneco View Post
                Says you...same goes to the people who think that controlling a camera with a mouse, not a joystick, is crap and vice-versa.

Metroid Prime Hunters had one of the best FPS controllers I've ever played, it brings both of best worlds.

Well, it's a matter of opinion and not a fact whether they're shitty or not....just like your comment.

The fact is....Touchscreen controls is indeed an innovation because it expands and adds to the experience, not take away.
                I agree. I played Dementium II with the ABXY to move setup, since I'm a leftie. And it worked perfectly fine for me.

But then again, I can handle not having dual analogs, as I grew up without those for a loooong time.

Comment

• According to Nintendo, the Nintendo 3DS's battery gives players from three to eight hours of play. How does that compare to the PS Vita's battery?

-----

Well, the 3DS still has better battery life than the PS Vita, course that is until the Gamers jail break it .

PS Vita: 3-5hrs
                  3DS: 6-8 hrs

Comment

Yeah, I've heard the same argument about 'modern games' needing 2 analogs. For recent gamers, that's a valid argument, but for some gamers that been at this thing for a while... not so much.

For a lot of FPS games, I've had no need of them at all. I can deal with 1 analog or even a D-pad to play said games (like you can do on the DS... a relatively 'modern' handheld). And I've had no need of them on a PC either.

During the N64 days I played every FPS available for it (Doom 64, Turok 1, 2 & 3, Goldeneye 007, Perfect Dark, Armorines, Duke Nukem Zero Hour, etc.). And as you know, the N64 controller had 1 single analog stick. And it never was an issue just having one of 'em.

Even on the Wii, you only have one analog to play with most FPS. And I've had long time PC FPS gamers tell me that playing FPS on said console (in terms of gameplay) is the best option there is aside from using a keyboard and a mouse.

But Nintendo agrees with you that some gamers that are relatively new, have come to expect playing with two analogs and thus why they are selling this add-on. Made especially for them.

As for me... I won't get it. Its too bulky.

See, you list old games as examples of what worked with one analogue stick. Do you not understand that games are more advanced nowdays? Seriously go watch a video of those games you list and then a video of a new CoD or BF, MoH, whatever.

They are worlds apart. FPS games never used to have a vertical aim axis, this doesn't mean they don't need one now.

I like you mention the wii also since that suffers horribly compared to PC/DA controls since movement while aiming is hindered heavily. Nearly all wii FPS games have resorted to adding a lock-on (not to be confused with aim assist) button so you just snap to an enemy and are forever facing them, Killzone 3 had to make use of one when using Move also.

...and I've been gaming since before the FPS genre existed, like that even matters for the argument anyway.

Originally posted by Wrathborne View Post
                    3DS: 6-8 hrs
                    More like 3-4 depending if using the online.
                    Last edited by Dracarys; 09-14-2011, 06:50 AM.

Comment

See, you list old games as examples of what worked with one analogue stick. Do you not understand that games are more advanced nowdays? Seriously go watch a video of those games you list and then a video of a new CoD or BF, MoH, whatever.
                      I was making the point that for some gamers with PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE dealing with FPS games that didn't use a single analog stick (or use just 1), this whole crap about needing a 2nd analog stick to play is a non-issue. It should not be a game breaker or anything close to it.

I also made the point that more recent gamers that grew up only using dual-shock controllers (the ones that started with the PS1, PS2 or even the PS3 and 360), having a 2nd analog is a bigger issue. To them its a thing of life or death (in a game) to have it. They suck without a 2nd analog stick. Therefore, I guess with the 3DS they will need to buy that add-on. Me? I have no freakin' need of it.

And I don't need to look at videos of 'modern' FPS. Cuz I play them all the time LOL. However, I had no trouble playing multi on Goldeneye on the N64 using 1 analog stick. Neither on the DS either (using the D-pad).

And if you want my opinion, especially with CoD games, modern FPS have been dumbed-down for casuals. That's right, casuals. That's why lots of core gamers hate CoD games. But that's another topic I don't wanna go into right now... Ok, just go to PSXextreme.com and seek out CoD news topics and read the comments it gets... lots of hate.

Originally posted by KylieDog View Post
                      I like you mention the wii also since that suffers horribly compared to PC/DA controls since movement while aiming is hindered heavily. Nearly all wii FPS games have resorted to adding a lock-on (not to be confused with aim assist) button so you just snap to an enemy and are forever facing them, Killzone 3 had to make use of one when using Move also.
                      Not all FPS use that lock-on mechanism. And most games that have it actually make it possible to disable it. The Wiimote is used as a mouse on screen. You don't have to drag a pointer with an analog stick. You simply point and shoot. So it feels more natural and intuitive than using analogs.

But y'know... in the end its all about what seems right for you. If you need a 2nd analog on your 3DS.... You got an option now. Buy it and enjoy.
                      Last edited by Pikminister; 09-14-2011, 11:07 AM.
                      sigpic

Comment

And I don't need to look at videos of 'modern' FPS. Cuz I play them all the time LOL. However, I had no trouble playing multi on Goldeneye on the N64 using 1 analog stick. Neither on the DS either (using the D-pad).
                        It is like you understood nothing in my last post.

Comment

It is like you understood nothing in my last post.
                          Considering that you didn't get my previous post before the last, we're even.

Besides, the dualshock is practically as old as the N64 1 analog control pad. It came out a year after the N64 came out. So playing with 1 analog can be just as 'modern' as the other option.

But like I said, Ninty gave ppl an option to play like mainstream gamers do (with two analogs). So... what's the problem again?
                          sigpic

Comment

• You should try any N64 Turok game, it's a great example that there's no need for two dual-sticks in every FPS games or at all.

Comment

• Basically what you're saying is that you can compare the gameplay of a FPS released in 1997 to nowadays shooters?

I don't really think the argument is valid. Now the gameplay is usually much more fast-paced.

Comment

• I think there are ways to pull FPS controls on 3DS as it is.

Let's try a "Turok" controller scheme, where you aim with the circle pad, move with the ABYX buttons, shoot with R trigger, melee/action with L trigger and throw grenades with the motion sensor. Change weapons with D-Pad. And we still have the touch screen free.

Problem is that we would lose the ability to switch between running and walking, but if everything is fast-paced, why we would need to walk huh? Just saying.

"I miss the days when we just cared how cool an enemy was rather than critiquing and analyzing everything to death." - Shield Key

Comment

Working...
                                X