Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nintendo 3DS Released! (Also, Friend Codes here)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Pikminister View Post
    Besides, the dualshock is practically as old as the N64 1 analog control pad. It came out a year after the N64 came out. So playing with 1 analog can be just as 'modern' as the other option.
    Except ALL PS1 games except a select few had to support the original controller nearly all never took advantage of DA controls. Did you play games back then? Even last gen the DA scheme wasn't used for many games still because the GC only had one (real) stick. There is a reason FPS has gaming taken off this gen and it because all FPS games started making use of DA scheme to be competitive and better emulate PC controls. Funny how the FPS genre not exploded on the Wii. I'm sure multiplayer will be mentioned but all games can make use of that yet FPS and the a lesser extent TPS are the ones that exploded.

Originally posted by Beanovsky Durst View Post
    I think there are ways to pull FPS controls on 3DS as it is.

Let's try a "Turok" controller scheme, where you aim with the circle pad, move with the ABYX buttons, shoot with R trigger, melee/action with L trigger and throw grenades with the motion sensor. Change weapons with D-Pad. And we still have the touch screen free.

Problem is that we would lose the ability to switch between running and walking, but if everything is fast-paced, why we would need to walk huh? Just saying.
    This was my first example some posts ago. If you really need to ask why we need to walk in modern FPS games maybe you're not a great judge of current needs of FPS games.

Your lists of actions is missing sprint, iron-sighting/scoping, jumps, ducks, reloads etc etc. Maybe the touchscreen could replace things like reloads or perk activations but most actions need an quick found button that can be used seamlessly with others (like sprinting adjusting direction while also hitting knife/melee) and a touchscreen doesn't provide that.

In Black Ops for example players often sprint then jump and go into prone while at the same time scoping in and firing while adjusting aim.

Please tell me how this works on a 3DS? It only has 6 buttons and 5 are used for the above example alone, plus a movement input is required as well as aiming all at once almost and there are no inputs left.
    Beanovsky Durst - "They are not pervs. They are japanese."

Comment

• KylieDog, I just wrote a long ass reply to your post but I got an error message about not being logged in and lost the whole damn thing in the process. I can't be arsed into writing it all over again.

But here's a short version... heh heh!

About the relatively new scheme that makes FPS easier to play - I already covered the dumbing-down of FPS games. Noticed that this was mostly done or implemented soon after PC FPS gamers started emigrating to consoles and demanding a scheme that covered all their needs. Cuz they really hated how such games would play like on a console.

About FPS making it big this generation... again, this was a direct result of PC gamers joining forces with their long-time antagonists (regular console gamers) on the home front. That made it entirely possible for the FPS/TPS genres to reach mainstream status like never before.

Therefore, there was a need to dumb things down for mainstream gamers. So much so, that it's at present very rare when you don't run into an 8 year old who wants to rip you a new one on CoD or one of its clones. I mean, the games are THAT easy now.

About FPS not being big on the Wii... that's obvious. That has nothing to do with the control scheme and everything to do with the crap online service and last-gen graphics. However, every CoD title on the Wii sold well beyond the 1 million mark. So even there you got casuals doing their stuff!

Anywhoo... I'm done with this argument.

All I know is that the slide-pad add-on is just an option for those that need it and its not a requirement to play any 3DS games.

Shit, Nintendo didn't even give that 2nd analog add-on the time of day during the recent TGS. So based on that, you can probably figure out how much support it will get from said company (look at the amount of games by Ninty that support it = ZERO ).

Considering the lousy support that Ninty historically has given to their add-ons and peripherals... I rather stay clear of this new one.

How about you?....
      Stuff to remember: Avoid forums if you're having a bad day.
      sigpic

Comment

• CoD is not dumbed down in controls. What make CoD dumbed down is the incredible high damage that means don't need a steady aim, silly things like instant knife that leaps you forward for an instant kill and killstreaks/perks that get skilless kills, Martydom, attack helos etc etc.

Controls have done nothing but become more complex.

We shall need return to this when a FPS releases on 3DS and it is shit.
        Last edited by Dracarys; 09-16-2011, 09:36 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by KylieDog View Post
          We shall need return to this when a FPS releases on 3DS and it is shit.
          Agreed. But remember that it all depends on who makes it and how they work their FPS game into the 3DS. It may very well suck because they suck at adapting it to the handheld.

In my previous version of my last post I had written how FPS games already work on the DS. And how they could work on the 3DS, mentioning some of the capabilities it has. For example, using the gyroscope to peek around corners and stuff (while standing still).

Anyway, I think the slide-pad add-on looks decent. I thought it looked bigger in some of the ealier pics of it. But now it seems okay in terms of size (still smaller than a Sony Vita):

Last edited by Pikminister; 09-16-2011, 10:04 AM.
          sigpic

Comment

• If anyone wants the official "CAPCOM Jill Valentine Mii" from this year's TGS, here is the QR code:

(Once you scan it, if you delete the Mii you won't be able to get it back.) Eh, it doesn't look anything like her.. Oh, and there is a Parker one too, but I haven't seen it anywhere.. Not that I want it.. >__>;..
            Last edited by PracticalAl; 09-19-2011, 10:13 AM.
            sigpic

Comment

• They all look nothing like the characters.

Comment

• Oh, you've seen the other TGS RE ones? Where did you find them?
                sigpic

Comment

• I just scanned the Jill Mii on my 3DS... and after I did, I got a text that said that I cannot get this Mii character EVER again if I delete it. Her name is in Japanese and she has gold pants (like all official Mii's)

Anywhoo, it's really hard to make Mii characters that look like RE characters since they wear some stuff that you can't imitate.
                  sigpic

Comment

• Yeah, I wasn't expecting their outfits to be anything close since Mii's only get colors.. But Jill's face is.. Well, I guess it's like chibi Jill. Maybe I'm being too harsh.
                    sigpic

Comment

• There seems to be more of them... official Revelations Mii characters

sigpic

Comment

• Wow, didn't know about the others. Hmm.. The red head must be Chris' partner? That's a stretch.. I do like the Chris one, though! Now I've got to go hunt him down. >:I
                        sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by PracticalAl View Post
                          If anyone wants the official "CAPCOM Jill Valentine Mii" from this year's TGS, here is the QR code:

(Once you scan it, if you delete the Mii you won't be able to get it back.) Eh, it doesn't look anything like her.. Oh, and there is a Parker one too, but I haven't seen it anywhere.. Not that I want it.. >__>;..
                          Thanks, this is awesome! Though the height comparison with my Mii makes her look like a kid, haha. Are there any other characters (doesn't have to be Resident Evil) worth mentioning that have official Mii's?

EDIT: Just read the subsequent posts; Chris looks HILLARIOUS!
                          Last edited by let me live; 09-19-2011, 12:42 PM.
                          REALDEMO

Comment

• The only one I can think of off the top of my head is Shigeru Miyamoto.

And these aren't official, but alot of them are pretty neat:
                            sigpic

Comment

• ha oh cool. Thanks

Comment

• Originally posted by let me live View Post
                                Thanks, this is awesome! Though the height comparison with my Mii makes her look like a kid, haha. Are there any other characters (doesn't have to be Resident Evil) worth mentioning that have official Mii's?

EDIT: Just read the subsequent posts; Chris looks hillarious!
                                I seem to remember reading that there are like 50 official Mii's out there in total (so far). But most of them are of developers or game creators.

But some game companies are starting to release special Mii's when promoting their games. Mostly in Japan, though. However, in the UK they give you Mii's of boy-band One Direction when you buy the 3DS (not familiar with them, but from what I read they're better than the BEATLES).

I'm trying to find the QR codes for the other Revelations characters... Someone had to post them online, right?
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X